song title statistics show that HTDAAB will be as big as ACHTUNG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
After a careful study of the song title statistics of U2's album, a trend can be gathered to show where HTDAAB will stand at the end of it all.

It seems that U2's career defining albums - namely Boy that started it all, and The Joshua Tree that earned their place in music history - they both have only one song that have a one-word title - Twilight for Boy and Exit for JT.

On the flip side, U2's "unfinished" albums have similar song title statistics. October wasn't quite finished as intended thanks to Bono losing his lyrics (or having it stolen) while POP was admittedly unfinished according to Bono. Both albums lead the category for most one-word song titles - October has 6 while POP has 5 one-word song titles. Perhaps whenever Bono is pressed for time, he conjures up one-word song titles instead of insightful mult-word song titles that require a lot of thought.

U2's more "exploratory" albums that get into new unchartered soundscapes for the band during the era they were recorded have four one-word song titles. These albums I refer to are The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa - among two of U2's more creative and ambitious projects.

Two great U2 albums that reached over 10 million in worldwide sales are Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby. Both have two one-word song titles apiece (Desire, Heartland for R&H; One, Acrobat for AB). Both albums represent U2 at their musical peak. Both albums average 3.6 words per song title.

HTDAAB clocks in at 3.7 words per song title, and has a grand total of two one-word song titles in its arsenal. Similar to AB, the two one-word song titles are evenly spread out in side one and side two of the album. It seems this album is not unfinished and great thought has been put up in creating the song titles, unlike other albums which are riddled with thoughtless one-word song titles.

So my fearless forecast based on statistical trending for HTDAAB when the smoke finally clears is that it will be on the same level as Achtung Baby. HTDAAB definitely isn't "unifinished" like October and POP, and neither is it "exploratory" like UF and Zooropa. I also doubt HTDAAB will be career defining or history making like Boy and JT. I predict that HTDAAB will merely be a vital album, an album that will be remembered in the same vein and R&H and AB - an album that showcases U2 at the top of their game giving us the sound they are capable of giving us. And it will be an album that will be commercially successful.

Please do share your thoughts here.

Cheers,

J

..good research, but I'd rather not base the album's popularity on one word song titles.

Murray said:
..good research, but I'd rather not base the album's popularity on one word song titles.

I am not basing its popularity on song titles. I am using statistical trending to predict in which category of albums will HTDAAB be put into when all is said and done when the smoke clears. My prediction is it is the second coming of Achtung Baby, if you don't agree then at least state why you don't think it will be the second coming of Achtung.

Cheers,

J

Actually, I'm astonished with Jick's theory. I was thinking about something along those lines except more into the "where are the one worders located." You're right: with AB at 3/11 and HTDAAB at 1/11, there is some good similarity there.

I have yet to be convinced that there is a truly "weak" track on this album. CFYT has received criticism b/c it is a slow digestee.

i'd agree that R&H isn't one of U2's most essential albums, but I do agree with you on HTDAAB being to next "big one" like AB. I get a similar vibe from this album so far as with Achtung.

:lmao:

Anyway this theory doesn't provide me with any new lead as to whether the new album will make my faves list or not: in fact AB (only 1 one'word title) and Pop (apparently abusing of the said sort of titles) are on top of my list!! :confused:

shart1780 said:
Rattle and Hum is one of the least essential U2 albums actually.

I'm sorry but you're theory is flawed!!!

R&H actually screws the theory in a way because a number of songs are live and cover songs. However, R&H's two one-worders are both original songs from that album (Desire, Heartland). But R&H and AB have similar sales figures, and I predict HTDAAB to have the same sales figures as AB/R&H. I never made any claims about R&H being as vital and essential as AB. HTDAAB will be more closely connected to AB because of the similar number of songs, and the placement of the one-word title songs which are similarly situated in the album.

Cheers,

J

i think in R&H had been released as a single album with all new studio tracks it would be a bit more appreciated among fans and non-fans alike. I know there have been countless arguments about this as well, but the studio tracks that did make R&H are excellent in their own right. And if some of the better b-sides from that era were used, and maybe a few leftovers from the JT sessions (Silver and Gold) it would have made for a great album.

Here's a tracklist for shits and giggles:

1. Desire
2.Angel of harlem
3. Heartland
4. God Part II
5. Van Deimans Land
6. Love Rescue Me
7. Silver and Gold
8. when Loves Comes to Town
9. Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
10. Hallelujah (Here she comes)
11. All I want Is You

edit: ooops, forgot about Hawkmoon, oh well, you can squeeze that in there somewhere if you want.

:lol:

You have too much time on your hands, Jick. Let's hope that your reasoning is accurate, and that HTDAAB will be almost as good as Achtung Baby.

Here's my theory, for what it's worth:

To the dedicated U2 fans, HTDAAB will be an extension of Achtung in the sense that AB had a central character who explored and tested the boundaries of human love and earthly pleasure. I believe that HTDAAB will be an exploration of love on a more divine and eternal scale.

BUT, commercially...I feel that it will be more similar to JT. Joshua Tree because that is the album that made U2 big and pushed them into the mainstream and has allowed them to fuck with it ever since. Everyone knows about Joshua Tree, whether or not a fan. It is just one of those albums that are accesible across the spectrum. In that sense, I think HTDAAB will be a second coming of JT.

Just my .02

Re: Re: song title statistics show that HTDAAB will be as big as ACHTUNG

Michael Griffiths said:

And herein lies the crux of your problem. Lay off the weed, man.

:wink:

Bwahahaha. good one, man.

Nice theory. I was thinking of doing some statistical research involving album's quality vs how many songs fade out and how many end. i never got around to it though and rather doubt i will.

Re: Re: Re: song title statistics show that HTDAAB will be as big as ACHTUNG

SkeeK said:

Nice theory. I was thinking of doing some statistical research involving album's quality vs how many songs fade out and how many end. i never got around to it though and rather doubt i will.

a music professor once told me that songs that have a clear ending are evidence of better song writing than fade-outs. if you listen to enough beatles tunes you'll see that he was god awfully wrong...

personally, i do prefer a good ending over a fade out though.

jick -> do you honestly think abomb will sell as well as ababy? i would be shocked if u2 ever reached those figures again. i'm thinking this will sell either just above or below ATYCLB...somewhere in the 3-7 million range (US only).

Anyone know how many units ATYCLB sold in its first week? I heard that the new record is expected to sell about a million in its first week. This seems a bit high to me.

Re: song fadeouts, it really depends on the song. Two of the best songs off The Joshua Tree - arguably their best two songs ever - both fade out, those being 'With or Without You' and 'Where the Streets Have no Name'. If they didn't fade out, they wouldn't have anywhere near the impact. 'WOWY' just sort of whispers its way in and leaves in the same way, while 'Streets' is like what I envision life after death to be like - a transition that slowly builds, like a light getting brighter at the end of a tunnel, and then in full force...like getting to see heaven for a few minutes, and then being released to slowly go back to earth. It's therefore dependent on the fadeout.

starsgoblue said:

BUT, commercially...I feel that it will be more similar to JT. Joshua Tree because that is the album that made U2 big and pushed them into the mainstream and has allowed them to fuck with it ever since. Everyone knows about Joshua Tree, whether or not a fan. It is just one of those albums that are accesible across the spectrum. In that sense, I think HTDAAB will be a second coming of JT.

Just my .02

No it won't. It's too late in U2's career to have a massive selling album like Joshua Tree. I don't think they are going to get something like a 20 million worldwide selling album - also considering that the music industry is on the decline.

Cheers,

J

Wildhit said:
Where does ATYCLB fit into this theory?

ATYCLB is right up there with War. Three one-word song titles. ATYCLB is a good album but not as exploratory as UF or Zooropa and neither as unfinished as POP and October. ATYCLB is just like War, a good solid album but not quite as big as AB nor as career defining and historical as JT.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: Re: song title statistics show that HTDAAB will be as big as ACHTUNG

Se7en said:

jick -> do you honestly think abomb will sell as well as ababy? i would be shocked if u2 ever reached those figures again. i'm thinking this will sell either just above or below ATYCLB...somewhere in the 3-7 million range (US only).

Perhaps not exactly the same number as AB --- not even R&H sold as much as AB. I am just saying it will have a similar trajectory - lingering forever in the charts, and being one of the highlights of U2's musical career.

Cheers,

J

I'm guessing it will resemble Pop more so than ATYCLB in the charts. massive hype equals staggering first week sales, but ATYCLB had lingering success because people who were anti-Pop were curious if U2 had actually gone back to the U2 that they liked.

Now: I think those people will either buy this one right away because they liked what they heard on the last one, or not buy it at all because they were disappointed with atyclb.

Actually, I'm pretty sure HTDAAB will resemble a compromise between Pop and atyclb in the charts. It will have a big first week, bigger than Pop because of the holiday season and other reasons, but will not linger quite like atyclb did.

jick said:

No it won't. It's too late in U2's career to have a massive selling album like Joshua Tree. I don't think they are going to get something like a 20 million worldwide selling album - also considering that the music industry is on the decline.

Cheers,

J

Jick, I didn't tell you that your theory was an exploration in stupidity...why would you do that to me? So I'd appreciate if you'd retain that biting wit of yours and not bash my thoughts so bluntly. Our "theories" are just that...theories.

U2 has never been part of the typical musical industry scheme...with thier music and their personal lives. Thiers careers have been anything but ordinary, so I don't think the 'rules' nessacarily apply to a group of individuals that have taken the road less travelled by.

Last edited:
Vertigo is a good song. City of Blinding Lights is good song.
The Miracle Drug beach clip is amazing.

Some reports have said that the album has about 6 potential singles on this album, this album could easily be as good as achtung.

Success however, How do you measure success?

The reality is we are living in a different commercial music climate. When Achtung was released, there were no downloads and rock n roll was becoming fashionable again. People flocked to Achtung.

We might be entering a period where people are flocking to Rock and Roll again. Perhaps the Eminem, Usher, Idol storm is blowing over? Perhaps not.

Who knows what is gonna happen?

Back
Top Bottom