Song Skipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Which songs from which albums do you find yourself skipping regularly? Doesent mean you dislike the songs, maybe more you dont find yourself in the mood to listen to it.
Songs I regularly skip are

Trying to throw your arms around the world
One step closer
When I look at the world
So cruel

I usually skip the first three songs from the Joshua Tree and the first two, sometimes three songs from ATYCLB. On Bomb, I often skip Vertigo. Usually I skip songs that are played on the radio a lot, I find it a waste of time to listen to them again on CD. Doesn't mean I don't like them, I just try to concentrate on other songs.

Out of the albums I regularly play these days ...

Boy: The Ocean; I rarely bother with SATT.
October: I Fall Down, Stranger, Is That All
War: Red fucking Light! THBAO too.
UF, I have a habit of stopping once Indian Summer Sky is over.
JT: ISHFWILF, Bullet, Trip Through Your Wires. I'm bored by ISHFWILF these days, and ever since I heard live recordings of Bullet, I've found the studio version unlistenable.
Passengers: I have burnt a copy without Elvis Ate America and deleted the file from my computer. I hate that song.

I'll skip these EVERY time. :up:

The Ocean
MLK
Mothers of the Disappeared
Love Rescue Me
Who's Gonna Ride Your 'stupid' Wild Horses ... never thought much of this song.
Babyface
The First Time
Dirty Day
The Wanderer
on Passengers ... every song after Miss Sarajevo
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Wild Honey
Grace
City of Blinding Lights ... actually the song is blinding (to the ears)
All Because of You ... more like, All Because of this song.
Crumbs From Your Table

The Sad Punk said:
I skip One.

I was going to mention that in my post, but as I only ever listen to half of Achtung at most, I didn't think that counted as skipping on my behalf.

The only other Achtung song I skip is So Cruel. TTTYAATW sort of bores me... although I haven't really listened to the album in a while because of live tracks.

Zooropa may be the only album in which I do not skip the singles.

MsMofoGone said:
I'll skip these EVERY time. :up:

The Ocean
MLK
Love Rescue Me
Who's Gonna Ride Your 'stupid' Wild Horses ... never thought much of this song.
Babyface
The First Time
Dirty Day
The Wanderer
on Passengers ... every song after Miss Sarajevo
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Wild Honey
Grace
City of Blinding Lights ... actually the song is blinding (to the ears)
All Because of You ... more like, All Because of this song.
Crumbs From Your Table

Wow... that's quite a list, you have mentioned my most hated (and skiped song); Babyface...

Other than that, I tend to skip Red Light and Grace... that's all that comes to mind.

Axver said:
Out of the albums I regularly play these days ...

UF, I have a habit of stopping once Indian Summer Sky is over.

:tsk:

After all the defence of EPAA...

I never skip tracks, U2 ones anyway. I have to listen to the whole album or I feel like guilty lol. Sad hey.

The only thing I can think of is if I'm impatient when listening to rattle and hum, i might skip a few on there.

GEELONG'S IN THE FUCKING GRAND FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COBL_04 said:

After all the defence of EPAA...

I love EPAA, but I've probably over-listened to UF and I've found that nowadays, I really need to be in the right mood to appreciate the first couple of minutes of the song. I always love the end, though.

Oh, and you know I'm not that huge on AFL, but I know who I hate and I'm damn glad Collingwood's out. The Cats did everyone a favour there.

last unicorn said:
Usually I skip songs that are played on the radio a lot

I sometimes do the same. Occasinally I skip what is being played quite often on radio. It's a good thing that their music is being played, but sometimes in my opinion they can overplay stuff. (usually happens when a new single gets released) It's almost like the radio stations forget about all the other great music they have put out.

I'm surprised at how many songs people are skipping. And while I'm not a fan of everything the band does, I only find a few songs really tough to sit through. I absolutely NEVER skip anything on JT, AB, Zooropa, or Pop. I think every song on all 4 is worth listening to.

I don't skip any of these every single time, but probably more often than not:

Shadows and Tall Trees (strangely enough, I also skip the last song on R.E.M.'s debut album, West of the Fields, which is an equally poor album closer)

Stranger in a Strange Land

Red Light

Bad (sometimes I just can't stand how this pales in comparison to the live version)

I Still Haven't Found (Rattle & Hum version)

When Love Comes to Town

Beautiful Day (again, not every time, but it's too overplayed, and my copy has Elevation as track #2)

Wild Honey

The Ocean
Shadows and tall trees
Is that all
Stranger in a strange land
Red Light
Refugee
Elvis Presley and America
MLK
4th of July
Bullet The Blue Sky
Trip Through Your Wires
Helter Skelter
I still haven't found (R&H)
Pride (R&H)
God Part II
Bullet The Blue Sky (R&H)
When love comes to town
So Cruel
Babyface
Daddy's gonna pay...
Playboy Mansion
Miami
Last night on earth
New York
In a little while
Grace
Vertigo
One Step Closer

These are songs I just don't like (ie Babyface), over-listened to (ie Bullet the Blue Sky, Vertigo), or almost never in the mood for (Mothers of the Disappeared, MLK).

last unicorn said:

With Zooropa, I usually skip the whole album. :wink:

Ditto. :lol:

Actually Zooropa its more of which songs on there DO I listen to. Zooropa and Dirty Day, thats about it for me.

Boy: If I'm listening to it I will go through the whole album

October: see Zooropa above, I like I Fall Down and Gloria, but thats about it. Rejoice and With A Shout had potential but sound unfinished and somewhat disjointed to me. U2's weakest album for me.

War: I skip Red Light and sometimes New Years Day just because its been played to death. (when I make a copy of this album for listening I substitute Treasure for Red Light.)

Unforgettable Fire: I skip 4th of July. I know some love it but I think it is just really boring and doesnt fit to me. I think Bass Trap and Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come were better instrumentals and would have worked better than 4th.

Joshua Tree: Love the whole album, IF I skipped a song it would probably be Bullet. But it segueways so well into Running To Stand Still I will still typically listen to it.

Achtung Baby: Sometimes I skip Acrobat and Love is Blindness. Typically though I listen to it all the way through.

Zooropa: already covered above. My 2nd least favorite U2 album.

POP: skip Miami (great live, studio mediocre), Velvet Dress and Wake Up Dead Man.

ATYCLB: skip New York, Wild Honey and sometimes Peace On Earth.

HTDAAB: skip Sometimes (sometimes ;) ), Miracle Drug and Yahweh.

I don't understand the hate for Shadows and Tall Trees or Stranger in a Strange Land. In my opinion it is the third best song on that album, behind The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh. SIASL is in my top five for October as well. Terrific riff.

last unicorn said:

With Zooropa, I usually skip the whole album. :wink:

For me it is Achtung Baby (I know the people reaction :D ) and All That You Can't Leave Behind, 2 minutes of these albums are enough for me, seriously :lol:

Actually, I listen to the songs I want to listen... but I do some exceptions, examples are The Unforgettable Fire, Pop and Joshua Tree, I can listen the whole album w/o skipping :love:

And I skip tracks that are overplayed/overrated to death

Last edited:
pat132 said:
For me it is Achtung Baby (I know the people reaction :D ) and All That You Can't Leave Behind, 2 minutes of these albums are enough for me, seriously :lol:

Actually, I listen to the songs I want to listen... but I do some exceptions, examples are The Unforgettable Fire, Pop and Joshua Tree, I can listen the whole album w/o skipping :love:

And I skip tracks that are overplayed/overrated to death

This post wins. :up:

I think the only point I disagree on is Pop.

Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

Wow... that's quite a list, you have mentioned my most hated (and skipped song); Babyface...

Other than that, I tend to skip Red Light and Grace... that's all that comes to mind.

Honestly, I'm surprised (although happy) no one mentioned 'A Man and A Woman' :happy:
As I thought the consensus here was that everyone was against that song from the very beginning. :sad:

Tomorrow
Wire

Rarely listen to the mess that is Rattle and Hum

Dirty Day
Gone
In A Little While
Grace
Sometimes

OK, I admit it, I even listened to Zooropa a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to see if the album would begin to appeal to me, but it didn't. The only songs I like are Stay and First Time.

BUT I never skip anything on Pop or Achtung Baby. Maybe I should, because I always fall asleep listening to Miami. :wink:

How can anyone not like the title track, I'm confused by this whole conflicting opinions thing. :(

I've even warmed to the album version of Dirty Day...

Back
Top Bottom