song of the day 9/2: Paint it Black.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 1/2: Paint it Black.

song of the day 1/2: Paint it Black.

Today's song of the day is a cover. What are your thoughts on U2's rendition of this song?

I like it, even though I'm not a huge fan of covers. I never understood the lyrics until I heard U2's version. I really like Edge's singing at the end of the song. His voice doesn't really seem to fit the general feel of the song, but some how, it works.

One of the worst covers U2 ever did. Sorry, but I really do not like their version of the Stones classic. One of the few misfires of the Achtung Baby era.
:yuck:

Yes, I realise that U2 tried to give the song an original spin, but it did not work out well. The urgency of the original is missing in the U2 version and the effects on Bono's voice don't help either.

Popmartijn said:
One of the worst covers U2 ever did. Sorry, but I really do not like their version of the Stones classic. One of the few misfires of the Achtung Baby era.
:yuck:

Yes, I realise that U2 tried to give the song an original spin, but it did not work out well. The urgency of the original is missing in the U2 version and the effects on Bono's voice don't help either.

I agree.

In my opinion, it just doesn't work. U2 are just not a good cover band, I don't think. They just don't feel the songs the same way, and therefore do not perform them with the same intensity and emotion.

Exceptions are Watchtower (Lovetown version) and Dancing Barefoot.

The_acrobat said:
In my opinion, it just doesn't work. U2 are just not a good cover band, I don't think. They just don't feel the songs the same way, and therefore do not perform them with the same intensity and emotion.

Exceptions are Watchtower (Lovetown version) and Dancing Barefoot.

And Won't Get Fooled Again.

The_acrobat said:

I don't think you have to feel the song the same way to make a good cover version. For instance, U2 (Bono) feel the song Night And Day completely different from 99% of the versions out there, but they did record an amazing version of it.
However, U2 did not start as a good cover band, so their record really is hit (Everlasting Love, the aforementioned Watchtower and Dancing Barefoot, Satellite Of Love) and miss (Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Paint It Black).

Reading my Propaganda book today - didn't realise that PIB and Fortunate Son were both recorded in 1989 and rejected as B sides for the last two Rattle singles.

zoology said:
Reading my Propaganda book today - didn't realise that PIB and Fortunate Son were both recorded in 1989 and rejected as B sides for the last two Rattle singles.

:hmm: Hmmm, interesting. So those sounds from Paint It Black is pre Achtung Baby? They sort of already knew what they wanted so they did a cover of someone else's song to try new sounds.... cool. Welcome Zoology! :wave:

I have an mp3 on my computer that says U2 - Paint it Black. But it's really the Stones. The person I downloaded from lied to me! So I've never heard U2's version.

Paint It Black has always been one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs. I've only listened to U2's cover of it once. I turned it off about half-way through. And that's all I got to say about that.

}:)~

1/2? It's the first of February? How I wish ...

Personally, I quite like U2's Paint It Black. It's not hard to be better than the Stones. In fact, I can't think of a bad cover that U2's done. Their live versions of People Get Ready are pretty good.

i prefer it over their cover of fortunate son from the same single.

i always thought U2's cover of paint it black was nice, darker than the original and trashy.

Their voices don't seem to get properly through my earcanal on this one...
Although I really like Edge guitarplaying on this one...nice sharp riffy...

rivergoat said:
Paint It Black has always been one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs. I've only listened to U2's cover of it once. I turned it off about half-way through. And that's all I got to say about that.

}:)~

the goat speaketh the truth

rivergoat said:
Paint It Black has always been one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs.

Same here. :up:

Axver said:
It's not hard to be better than the Stones.

Are you high? :eyebrow:

david said:
i prefer it over their cover of fortunate son from the same single.

i always thought U2's cover of paint it black was nice, darker than the original and trashy.

I disagree.

Back
Top Bottom