Song of the day 29-07-05 - Kite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassis

Refugee
Kite

Something is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it is
I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did
'Cause hardness, it sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin
I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
You don't need anyone, anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't wanna see you cry
I know this is not goodbye

In summer I can taste the salt in the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me
I'm a man, I'm not a child
A man who sees the shadow behind your eyes

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know where the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

Did I waste it
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement
The last of the rockstars
When hip-hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

discuss

This is one of my favourites off ATYCLB. I think it's got a gorgeous tune, lovely lyrics and it's just a moving song that Bono sings so well. I especially like

that's just beautiful!

Most definitely one of the best songs on the album. Probably one of my favorite singe lines on the entire ATYCLB album is:

I know that this is not goodbye...

I know when I listen to it and whatever I am going through, it almost gives a reassurance for the future.

Great song. :)

My favorite song on ATYCLB and one of my favorite U2 songs EVER. I have lost both my father and older brother to terminal illnesses, so this song and it's lyrics really hit home for me. I think it has one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard, too.

I listen to this song on my iPod at the end of the Venice Beach pier on perfect sunny days. With the sailboats out on the water, the sea birds floating on the wind, etc., this song really hits on some powerful feelings. If you live near the ocean, I recommend this, BTW. Play it along with "I Still Haven't Found" and you will be in heaven! It, like all of the best U2 songs, can really affect you on a spiritual level.

I think it is pure bliss.

Again, a very underrated song - the lyrics are so moving. Especially for those who know the story behind Bono and his father's relationship and his dying.

chickadee said:
This is one of my favourites off ATYCLB. I think it's got a gorgeous tune, lovely lyrics and it's just a moving song that Bono sings so well. I especially like

that's just beautiful!

My feelings exactly. :yes:

I think of the 'odd' last verse as another "We've got to go and dream it all up again" message. Bono lets us know that the '90s are over and U2 is changing direction yet again. I find it interesting that they stuck this verse into Kite. It's very fitting, IMO, b/c Kite is a great symbol of their new direction.

Also, don't forget the original story behind this song. Bono was spending some time with his daughters and (trying) to fly a kite.
While watching them, he pondered what the future held for his children. The song compares life to a kite blowing out of control on the breeze, we never know where the future will lead or when it's our time to pass on. It's the same theme as 'Out of Control', which he wrote on his 18th birthday.

Last edited:
This song is a metaphor for life.

My favorite U2 lyric of all-time:

"I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to live, and when I'm flat on my back, I hope to feel like I did."

The last verse kills it for me. It would be one of my all-time favorites without it.

The Best lyrics of ATYCLB. Probably also the best song along with Walk On.

The melody is beautiful, the song is beautiful, the lyrics are so much touching... top 10 song for me!

I can't understand who doesn't like it; it's so touching and refreshing :)

2Hearts said:

I think of the 'odd' last verse as another "We've got to go and dream it all up again" message. Bono lets us know that the '90s are over and U2 is changing direction yet again. I find it interesting that they stuck this verse into Kite. It's very fitting, IMO, b/c Kite is a great symbol of their new direction.
Thats exactly what Ive always thought of it as, the last verse has always made sense to me.

I love Kite, a brilliant song and, IMO, is easily the best song on ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom