song of the day 10/29: North and south of the river

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
I want to reach out over the Loch
And feel your hand across the water
Walk with you along an unapproved road
Not looking over my shoulder

I want to see, and I want to hear
To understand your fears
But we're north and south of the river

I've been doing it wrong all of my life
This holy town has turned me over
A young man running from what he didn't understand
The wind from the Loch just get colder, colder

There was a badness that had its way
But love wasn't lost, love will have its day
North and south of the river

Can we stop playing these old tattoos
Darling I don't have the answer
I want to meet you where you are
I don't need you to surrender

'Cause there's no feeling that's so alone
As when the one you're hurting is your own

Some high ground is not worth taking
Some connections are not worth making
There's an old church bell no longer ringing
Some old songs are not worth bringing
North...
(Higher ground is not worth taking)

Love this song. Could have easily replaced 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' on Pop and made that album so much better.

One of my favorite songs, a forgotten little gem.

Which version is the best however?

1) SATS B-side
2) Live version (with the nice piano)
3) Christy Moore w/Bono & Edge version

Personally, there are things I like about alll of them. I wish they had combined the best elements of all three to create a masterpiece of a song. Maybe they have and have just never released it.

Any thoughts?
Are there any other versions I may not have heard?

great song...dont know what the band was thinking not putting on an album. Reminds me of KITE, which is a very good thing.

Great melodies! Great song! Weird video! :up:

Hoodlem said:

2) Live version (with the nice piano)
3) Christy Moore w/Bono & Edge version

Where did you find the live version (2) and is number 3 the one played at that award dinner for Bono? :hyper:

Beautiful song, heartfelt lyrics.

This song is a song of reconciliation, of new beginnings, of forgiveness, of Grace - of how to heal the wounds of the past to move forward to a better future. :hug:

I love its soulfulness and the way that Bono sings it. Another personal favorite.

LOVE WILL HAVE ITS DAY....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

The Christy Moore version is a studio version sung by Moore with Bono on backing vocals and edge playing a much more rockng guitar part at the end instead of the "do do do do do" part toward the end. It's actually really cool and I wish that part was in the U2 version.

The Omagh version is one of the most emotional and heart-breaking U2 songs I have ever heard.
Studio version nothing special. Typical b-side.

I'm gonna go with the Omagh version. It's the most intense. That said, it's just Bono and Edge, so there's some appeal to the studio for me too. Don't like the falsetto in the studio version a whole lot, though. Christy Moore version is all right, not my favorite. This is easily my favorite U2 song. BUT, what the hell does "stop playing these old tattoos" mean?

Yeh its a good song, a good bside from POP.

I personally think it couldve been so much more. It derives from TAKE TODAY from the AB out takes, which is a brilliant little tune and it had lots of potential

I've only heard the Best Of version, and I play it constantly, it is awesome! It was first released in '95, a bit before Pop, hence the different feel.
So why didn't it make the album? I really get confused at how U2 can consistently leave some of their best work to B-sides etc; eg Luminous Times, Heartbreak Hotel, Stateless, and NaSotR. Way too good a dong to leave off, could have added a very interesting flavour to Pop

Back
Top Bottom