song of the day 10:24: Hawkmoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Like a desert needs rain
Like a town needs a name
I need your love

Like a drifter needs a room
Hawkmoon
I need your love
I need your love

Like a rhythm unbroken
Like drums in the night
Like sweet soul music
Like sunlight
I need your love

Like coming home
And you don't know where you've been
Like black coffee
Like nicotine
I need your love (I need your love)

When the night has no end
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love
I need your love

Like a Phoenix rising needs a holy tree
Like the sweet revenge of a bitter enemy
I need your love

Like the hot needs the sun
Like honey on her tongue
Like the muzzle of a gun
Like oxygen

When the night has no end
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love

I need your love...
[Repeat 9 times]

Like thunder needs rain
Like a preacher needs pain
Like tongues of flame
Like a sheet stained
I need your love
I need your love

Like a needle needs a vein
Like someone to blame
Like a thought unchained
Like a runaway train
I need your love

I need your love...
[Repeat 7 times]

Like faith needs a doubt
Like a freeway out
I need your love

Like powder needs a spark
Like lies need the dark
I need your love

In the heart of the heat of the love
In the heart of the heat of the love...
[Repeat until end]

I absolutely love the way Bono sings "Hawkmoon".

For me, this song really builds...it feels like so much is being controlled, and it's trying to wrongfully be contained...and then it inevitably bursts.

One of my favorite songs ever and maybe my favorite U2 song. :ohmy:

No words can describe those lyrics. Maybe brilliant is the best word. I love Bono's voice and melody. R&H is pure rock n' roll and I love when Bono starts screaming!! This song is filled with great lines. One of the catchiest chorus ever and I like the Bob Dylan organ intro! I so much wish U2 would make music like that again, with that awesome epic feel (thanks to Larry), full of guitars (I believe there are 3 guitars on this track) and just awesome rock n' roll. This is a classic in my opinion and should be back to the set list someday! If I had written those lyrics I would want to sing them every night! :up:

Bonochick said:
I absolutely love the way Bono sings "Hawkmoon".

For me, this song really builds...it feels like so much is being controlled, and it's trying to wrongfully be contained...and then it inevitably bursts.

excellent description, bonochick.

i love this song. definitely one of my favourites. the drums in this song are incredible, along with bono's singing. this is one of the songs that i can physically feel when i listen to it. 'like sweet soul music...'

Hoooooooo-hooooooo I need your love.

Hawkmoon rocks, lovely, passionate, epic, wonderful :drool:

A brilliant love song. Its so simple, yet so deep at the same time. I love the line "Like a preacher needs pain" That just strikes me as awesome.

So many great lines in this song! :up: "Like faith needs a doubt" is my fave. And I LOOOOVE the drums on this song. I remember being in high school, listening to R&H religiously every day (on my headphones during study hall) and having to make a concentrated effort to be still while Hawkmoon was on - it's just one of their songs that I actually feel more than I hear. It never gets old to me! :heart:

Funny I was listening to Hawkmoon on friday while stuck in traffic ..Sometimes there are songs that are very ..........gosh I can't think of the word right now but lets just say It gives me chills and strength!...As I was stuck in traffic I was stressing about a family situation then I started to hear R&H Hawkmoon and kept replaying it (me singing along) and I felt so much better...
I love Hawkmoon..I think it should have gotten airplay..and since non U2 fans dont know about this song..I'ts kinds of a little hidden treasure for those of us who are fans.....:wink:

Funny story about this song: My best friend is a U2 fan also, but she's not near so commited to the addiction as I am :)ohmy:). Her husband was recently burning a disk of requested songs for one his friends & they were looking for one that they knew was from U2 but couldn't find anywhere. So, knowing I'd be able to lead her right to it, my friend calls me for help. She explained what was happening & wanted me to tell her which album the song could be found on.

Me: OK, what song is it Paul's looking for?
Her: He says it's called 'Honeymoon, I-64'. (There's a moment of silence while I run through the song catalogue in my mind.)
Me: WHAT?!? Oh Jesus!! Does he mean "HAWKMOON 269"?!?!?! That's on Rattle & Hum! Honeymoon, I-64? I can't help him with that. And YOU should know better!!

The few cool points the guy gets for liking a fairly obscure U2 song were completely descimated by his unholy mutilation of the song title!!! However, since I got over my disgust at his faux pas, I've been able to laugh & laugh at his ignorance. :tongue:

(And my friend has been thoroughly 'schooled' on R&H's content! :lol: )

Last edited:
Mmmmm, its never really done a lot for me. It's a good song but y'know i'm not really a fan of rattle and hum as a whole. It's a good piece to listen to, but give me Heartland anyday...

I love this song!

U2 doesn't have too many noticeable "love" songs in their repetoire, but when they do, THEY IS AWESOME.:yes:

"Hawkmoon" simply is PURE PASSION wrapped up in UNABATED DESIRE - and coming from Bono it is sure to hit the right spot in your heart and soul.:combust:

And the lyrics are simply beautiful.

I NEED YOUR LOVE....;)

Great song on the album. Fantastic live. It is one of those live rarities that every big U2 fan has to have. Edge is a genius on this.

Back
Top Bottom