song of the day 10/08: Happiness is a warm gun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Happiness is a warm gun
Happiness is a warm gun

She's not a girl who misses much
She's not a girl who misses much

Mother Superior jump the gun

Happiness is a warm gun
Happiness is a warm gun

She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand
Like a lizard on a window pane
The man in the crowd
With the multicoloured mirrors on his hobnail boots
Lying with his eyes wide open
And the hands busy working overtime
A soap impression of his wife which he ate
And donated to the National Trust

Hey, I need a fix 'cause I'm going down

Happiness is a, a warm gun
Happiness is a warm gun

Happiness is a warm gun
Happiness is a warm gun

I need a fix cause I'm going down
To the bits that I left uptown

I need a fix cause I'm going down, uptown
Need a fix cause I'm going down, uptown

Happiness is a warm gun
Happiness is a warm gun
[Repeat until end]

i absloutely love this b-side, such an interesting take on a classic Beatles tune

Yeh it's really good....most covers of beatles songs are either artists trying to completely replicate the beatles, or completely butchering a beatles masterpiece....

U2's HIAWG is daring, and really challenges the depth of the song by giving it a more 1990's vibe.....stunning stuff, and very out there.

I doubt John Lennon would be turning in his grave at this one....(although Geroge might, he hated u2)

PS: If you want an example of 'Beatle Butchery', tune into that Australian idol bullshyte this sunday. It's a beatles special, and is bound to be cringeworthy.

intedomine said:
Yeh it's really good....most covers of beatles songs are either artists trying to completely replicate the beatles, or completely butchering a beatles masterpiece....

I agree that most butcher them. I would include this as well though. Completely loses the feeling that John Lennon gave the original.

Yeh good point, whatever gets you throught the night and revolution are 2 songs that only lennon can contribute too.....they were made for lennon i reckon

bsp77 said:
I agree that most butcher them. I would include this as well though. Completely loses the feeling that John Lennon gave the original.

I agree with this opinion. To me, this song isn't one of U2's best covers. Oh well, they have lots of songs that do appeal a lot to me. :)

Any Beatles fan out there? What do the lyrics mean? Is it song in which "gun" is a 60's term or metaphor for drugs? Heroin?

intedomine said:
Yeh good point, whatever gets you throught the night and revolution are 2 songs that only lennon can contribute too.....they were made for lennon i reckon
I think that, uh, Elton John could probably get away with "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night"...
U2Soar said:
What do the lyrics mean?
They're complete nonsense.

Anyway, I love this cover. Most Beatles covers just make me want to hear the original, but this one is a fresh and interesting take. Lennon would probably hate it, but he hated everything.

Last edited:
I did a quick search for insights into the meaning of the song:

"No, it's not about heroin. A gun magazine was sitting there with a smoking gun on the cover and an article that I never read inside called "Happiness Is a Warm Gun." I took it right from there. I took it as the terrible idea of just having shot some animal...it was at the beginning of my relationship with Yoko and I was very sexually oriented then. When we weren't in the studio, we were in bed...I call Yoko Mother or Madam just in an offhand way. The rest doesn't mean anything. It's just images of her." - John Lennon, Playboy, 1980

Written by Lennon, who got the idea from a gun magazine cover that read, "Happiness Is A Warm Gun In Your Hands," also Lennon's original song title. The song dealt with three themes. The first was Lennon's indignation of the American firearms lobby; the second was a sort of rock 'n' roll history; and the last was imagery that conveyed Lennon's sexual passion for Yoko.
http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1011.html

@forums - warm gun = heroin?@forums > Musical Artists > Song Interpretation,
Lyrics and Sheet Music > warm gun = heroin?

i am a cat.08-17-2001, 08:01 PM
I've always thought gun = penis. To me, it was always a song about sexual manipulation, not drugs.

honey6908-17-2001, 09:35 PM
I always thought Happiness is a Warm Gun was about a warm vagina. He's says when I put my finger on your trigger, I know nobody can do me no harm. Then he goes on to say its a warm gun, yes it is. Like it's her trigger but it sure is a warm gun. I'll have to listen to it again but that's what I got from it.

curehp08-17-2001, 11:32 PM
I think it's clearly about gun violence. I see the message as'this world is f$#@ed up and some people get to the point where they believe that the only thing that can make them happy is shooting someone or themselves to put an end to their problem(s). Like the song "I Don't Like Mondays"

Creighton08-18-2001, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by terpsichore77
I have always heard that HIAWG is completely about sex. I don't know where the
heroin connection is coming from.

In a way this is true....it IS about sex. It's also about sexual manipulation. How sex can be used by both partners to manipulate the personality and responses of the other partner. Umm...the actual fuckee becomes the fucker, becomes the fuckee - while the reverse may be happening on a psychological level. Ah, nevermind....listen to the original with this in mind. You'll get to it. Anyway, John needed a gun (bang bang) to protect himself....so he used his to find one. Yoko was a loose cannon...he stuck his dick in it....or, rather, it jumped his gun. Except she wasn't really a cannon, of course. She was a mother superior. Just listen to it.

Creighton08-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Yeah, well, I've seen the Beatles and was a huge Beatles fan (after Rubber Soul), reading everything about the song lyrics that I could get my hands on. John typically preferred to mislead people about his lyrics. He took it as a joke on the public and the interviewers. He was also fully aware of the interpretations which were being discussed at the time and enjoyed insisting that the songs meant either nothing at all or that the interpretations which had been offered concerning the overarching meaning of the entire lyric content of particular songs were misdirected because there simply was no meaning. In other words, he preferred to say that his lyrics were just bits and pieces which he happened to fall upon and throw into a new song without any real thought as to what it meant altogether. To listen to him describe his lyrics is to listen to his humor. He would spew a stream of bullshit a mile long when everybody and his brother, sister, mother, father, aunts and uncles understood what was going on in the song. Sure, he picked up bits and pieces here and there. However, he carefully chose those bits and pieces and put them together in specific ways to convey meaning. His lyrics were NOT abstract splashes of color. If you prefer to believe that, though, you WILL miss the meaning. It was a characteristic of his genius that this is so.

Clunky the monkey08-18-2001, 02:03 PM
This is taken from the book "a hard days write - the stories behind every beatles song". I typed it all out myself - so excuse any typo's. It explains the origins of the song so well.

“The idea for this song came to John Lennon after he discovered a gun magazine belonging to George Martin that had been left lying around the studio. On the cover was the line "Happiness is a warm gun in your hand". It was too good a phrase to let go and he began to toy with it. "I thought, what a fantastic thing to say!" John later remarked. "A warm gun means you've just shot something."

John had recently started living with Yoko Ono the Japanese artist he'd first met at an exhibition of her art in 1966. By his own admission, he felt "very sexually oriented" during this period, so before long the idea for a song about a warm gun had taken on sexual connotations, and gave rise to phrases about itchy trigger fingers and discharged loads.

If it was a song about anybody, it was a song about yoko. she was the girl he held in his arms, the girl who was so smart that she didn't miss a trick and the one he always called mother - in this case, mother superior.

But tagged on to the original lines were random images picked up from a night of
acid tripping with Derek Taylor, Neil Aspinall and Pete Shotton at a house Taylor was renting from Peter Asher in Newdigate near Dorking in Surrey. "John said he had written half a song and wanted us to toss out phrases while Neil write them down," says Taylor. "First of all, he wanted to know how to describe a girl who was really smart and i remembered a phrase of my father's which was 'she's not a girl who misses much'. It sounds like faint praise but on Merseyside, in those days, it was actually the best you could get.

"Then i told a story about a chap my wife Joan and i met in the carrick bay hotel on the isle of man. It was late one night drinking in the bar and this local fellow who liked meeting holiday makers and rapping to them suddenly said to us, 'I like wearing moleskin gloves you know. It gives me a little bit of an unusual sensation when i'm out with my girlfriend.' He then said, 'I don’t want to go into details.' So we didn't. But that provided the line, 'She's well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand'. Then there was 'like a lizard on a window pane'. That, to me, was a symbol of very quick movement. Often, when we were living in LA, you'd look up and see tiny little lizards nipping up the window," continues Taylor.

"'The man in the crowd with mulit-coloured mirrors on his hobnail boots' was from
something i'd seen in a newspaper about a Manchester City soccer fan who had
been arrested by the police for having mirrors on the toe caps of his shoes so that he could look up girls skirts. We thought this was an incredibly complicated and tortuous way of getting a cheap thrill and so that became 'multi coloured mirrors' and 'hobnail boots' to fit the rhythm. A bit of poetic license," adds Taylor.

"The bit about 'lying with his eyes while his hands are busy working overtime' came from another thing i'd read where a man wearing a cloak had fake plastic hands, which he would rest on the counter of a shop while underneath the cloak he was busy lifting things and stuffing them in a bag round his waist.

"I don’t know where the 'soap impression of his wife' came from but the eating of something and then donating it 'to the national trust' came from a conversation we'd had about the horrors of walking in public spaces on Merseyside, where you
Were always coming across the evidence of people having crapped behind the bushes and in old air raid shelters. So to donate what you've eaten to the national trust (a British organization with responsibilities for upkeeping countryside of great beauty) was what would now be known as 'defecation on common land owned by the national trust'. When John put it all together, it created a series of layers of images. It was like a whole mess of colour," Taylor concludes.

The Beatles had just started to record this track on the day Linda Eastman arrived in London to begin life living with paul.

Back
Top Bottom