song of the day 09/21: New Year's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 09/20: New Year's Day

Yeah...

All is quiet on New Year's Day
A world in white gets underway
I want to be with you
Be with you night and day
Nothing changes on New Year's Day
On New Year's Day

I will be with you again
I will be with you again

Under a blood red sky
A crowd has gathered in black and white
Arms entwined, the chosen few
The newspapers says, says
Say it's true it's true...
And we can break through
Though torn in two
We can be one

I...I will begin again
I...I will begin again

Oh...
Maybe the time is right
Oh...maybe tonight...

I will be with you again
I will be with you again

And so we're told this is the golden age
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage
Though I want to be with you
Be with you night and day
Nothing changes
On New Year's Day
On New Year's Day

i just have time now to say that i love it so much. it became one of my all time faves mainly due to the evolution that the song had through the millions of times that have been performed live. it reflects somehow the evolution of the band it self.

gotta go, i am late

An all time personal favorite and one of U2's first great masterpieces. :wink:

The story goes that Bono originally wrote the song for Ali but decided to expand its meaning after watching the political/social upheaval that was going on in Poland in the early 1980's.

The song SOARS in its inspired vocal delivery by Bono and beautiful guitar-playing by Edge. The rhythm line is hard-drivin' and nonstop - one of the first truly unified drum/bass deliveries by the incomparable Mullen/Clayton duo. :yes:

The song is composed of simple words which contain within them BIG ideas. My favorite part of the song will always be these four words: I WILL BEGIN AGAIN....

What a potent and positive phrase! :up:

Whenever we stumble in life, Bono is telling us THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE. We can always start over - we can be better people. We can extend to others and ourselves forgiveness, acceptance and Grace. The answer is just to begin again... :angel:

And it is still a GREAT song to hear performed live after all these years!

I WILL BEGIN AGAIN....:hug:

Beautiful song. Best from the U2's early years.

One of the greatest songs ever made. When ranking U2's songs on levels of sheer brilliance, not personal favouritism, I usually put New Year's Day second only to Streets. Mindblowing song.

One of my favorite songs ever. NYD is in a constant battle with Pride to take the top spot as my favorite U2 song.

I love the way the song soars but maintains a dark feel at the same time. The bass is incredible. And Edge's guitar solos get me everytime. Not to mention the lyrics. I will begin again.

New Years Day? Man, I (absolutely, ultimately, stupendously, tremendously) LOVE IT! :D

The first time I heard it was on TV for a very brief time though I didnt really like it cos the video going with it , I thought, was crap at the time! (to my utter regret later on!)

And then a friend of mine went to see U2 live in Milton Keynes (in a far distant 1985!) and he said the concert was fab despite the horrendous rain that day! From that I got a bit curious about them so I went and bought UABRS and man, that same song was the very reason I got hooked into the band in the first place! that singing by Bono, that bass sound from Adam and that piano part by the Edge and the wailing of his guitar too! Awesome! you just cant describe it here!

Then I heard it live proper when I saw them in Edinburgh at Murrayfield Stadium two year later during the Joshua Tree tour (though I had already seen them in Wembley but that gig wasnt good). Anyway, during NYD in Edinburgh, the moment when Bono walked down the right hand side of the huge stage and sitting down on the edge of it all the while raising his left hand to acknowledge the amazing audience that night got me into tears of joy. Thats cos at the time it was my all time fave song and the concert itself was absolutely electrifying and the audience was the loudest I have ever heard (till Slane 2001 that is! :D ) So it was a very special moment for me (and I still get goose pimples just thinking about it now)

So for that, U2 is sheer class and still the best live band there is today! AMEN!

dougal

NYD and then One, wow!!! Never get sick of this song, EVER!! Stunning classic with Adams' finest moment, not much else to say! Over 20 years old and everytime I hear it, the excitement is still there.

This is the first U2 song I ever heard and the one that made me fall in love with them, way back when... ah nostalgia!

}:)~

goat

Adam's in fine form in this absolute masterpiece......best from war i reckon......its long and epic but jeez it makes ya feel good....

Back
Top Bottom