song of the day 09/20: Last Night on Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
1. read lyrics
2. listen to song
3. post thoughts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the fuel goes down
Stops the car
Puts her feet outside in the rain
She's back on the machine
But it's sweet so far away

She feels the ground is giving way
But she thinks we're better off that way
The more you take the less you feel
The less you know the more you believe
The more you have the more it takes today

You got to give it away
(You got to give it away)
You got to give it away
You got to give it away

Well she don't care what it's worth
She's living like it's the last night on earth
The last night on earth

She's not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at the bus-stop with News of the World and the Sun
Sun, here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

You got to give it away
You got to give it away
You got to give it away

Well she don't care what it's worth
The last night on earth

Slipping away
The clock tells her that time is slipping

Slip sliding...tonight
Minute hands and seconds sticking

Slipping away
There's something she might be missing

The world turns and we get dizzy
The world turns and we get dizzy

Slipping away
Is it spinning for you

The way it's spinning for me

She's living, living next week now
You know she's going to pay it back somehow
She hasn't been to bed in a week
She'll be dead soon then she'll sleep

You got to give it away
You got to give it away
You got to give it away

She already knows it hurts
The last night on earth
Last night on earth
Last night...

it's the song that makes me be affraid when i hear people saying that u2 must rock.

i consider that this would be a nice song for any rock band with fm intentions, but for u2 that is not enough. if it was not from them, i'd rate this one as one of the tons of uninspired rock songs that we hear daily on the radio & tv.

a nice performance from bono on the vocals and that's all. it doesn't have the u2 uniqueness.

it became more interesting live, especially the intro and the outro.

bedouin fire said:
it's the song that makes me be affraid when i hear people saying that u2 must rock.

i consider that this would be a nice song for any rock band with fm intentions, but for u2 that is not enough. if it was not from them, i'd rate this one as one of the tons of uninspired rock songs that we hear daily on the radio & tv.

a nice performance from bono on the vocals and that's all. it doesn't have the u2 uniqueness.

it became more interesting live, especially the intro and the outro.

I think that was a great summary of the song, although I do like the tune. It has some great lyrics but I agree it does miss that special something u2 put into their music. I would give the album version a C+ but the live version an A+, as Edge's solo at the end made it top notch.

Good "summer" U2 song. I have always enjoyed the live version. Everyone sounds great, plus it has Bono and the Edge screaming during the chorus.

ditto on the live version...it'd be nice that the band releases, at some point, a stripped down compilation of their songs, the way they'd play them live but recorded in studio. having heard their live recordings (in concert), i wonder if by the end of a tour they ever go back and play out a song in studio after all the mutations a song like 'last night on earth' would have gone through. one can only guess...and hope:wink:

This is definitely one of my all time favorite songs ever!!!!!!!!! One of U2's best live songs!!!! I do not understand how this song didn't scored higher as a single!!! That bass line is amazing!!! Those heavy guitars form The Edge are fantastic!!!! And I really, really, really, really like those lyrics!!!! I sooooooo much wish that Bono would write more songs like that!!!!! One of the best U2 songs done live. I still remember when I first watched the Popmart video, I was soooooo amazed to see Larry playing like that at the end, with Edge making that strident solo and Bono just going mental!!!!! That's heaven for me, if U2 wants to be more rock n' roll they got to listen to the live version of that song more often!!!! We need that kind of passion/aggression on the new record!!! Larry rocks!!!!!!!! :cool:

"Who haven't been to bed in a week will be dead soon and still won't sleep."

:shocked: I love that line!!!!

"I went looking for sprits, I found alcohol. I went looking for souls, and I bought some style. I wanted too me God, but you sold me religion!"

Best intro ever!!! :bow:

"The more you take the lees you feel. The more you know the less you believe. The more you have the more it takes today!!"

A fucking poet Bono is! :drool:

I'm sorry if I'm acting like a fan boy but I just love this song! :hyper:

Last edited:
LNOE together with DISCOTHEQUE and DYFL is the low point of POP and their career. but i agree that the live versions were much more better than the studio versions.

zoopop said:
Good "summer" U2 song. I have always enjoyed the live version. Everyone sounds great, plus it has Bono and the Edge screaming during the chorus.

never though about it as a summer song.
I used to play it during the parties for new year's day

And the video is absolutely mad!

Last Night on Earth? Great album song. I love the chorus.
Live? FUCKIN' AMAZING! Just check out the Chicago version from Popmart. Now that's rock n' roll! It's stretched to 7 chilling minutes!

Back
Top Bottom