song of the day 09/11: A Day Without me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 01/11: A Day Without me

1. Listen to song
2. read lyrics
3. post thoughts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting a landslide in my ego
Look from the outside
To the world I left behind

I'm dreaming
You're awake
If I were sleeping
What's at stake
A day without me

Whatever the feelings
I keep feeling
What are the feelings
You left behind

Today's a day without me

I started a landslide in my ego
Look from the outside

In the world I left behind
Wipe their eyes, and then let go
Shed a tear, and then let go...

One of my faves off Boy. I love the way Bono sings, "Aday-with-out...Me". It just soars at the end while Edge hits the outer edges of a space alien colony with his voice and echo/delay effects.

Wild Angel said:
So sad to hear a song about contemplating suicide :sad:

yes, especially when you think of how young Bono was at that time! (my age now... Argh!)

It's a nice song, anyway.
But my favourite of Boy is "An cat dubh"... She cat!!!

lady luck said:
yes, especially when you think of how young Bono was at that time! (my age now... Argh!)

AFAIK, this song was not about Bono contemplating suicide himself, but of somebody he knew who did it (or tried to). I have to look up when the song was exactly written, but it might even be about Ian Curtis (lead singer of Joy Division who committed suicide in 1980).

Anyway, the lyrics are quite heavy compared to the upbeat tone of the music.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

AFAIK, this song was not about Bono contemplating suicide himself, but of somebody he knew who did it (or tried to). I have to look up when the song was exactly written, but it might even be about Ian Curtis (lead singer of Joy Division who committed suicide in 1980).

Anyway, the lyrics are quite heavy compared to the upbeat tone of the music.

C ya!

Marty

I know... I didn't write he was thinking about COMMITTING suicide, but thinking ABOUT suicide at such a young age.

lady luck said:

I know... I didn't write he was thinking about COMMITTING suicide, but thinking ABOUT suicide at such a young age.
Most suicidal thoughts occur at a young age, especially for boys. Tisnt unusual.

Lady Luck you are indeed fortunate to not have had such thoughts. I hope you stay that way. :up:

Neil McCormick's new book confirms that Bono himself did indeed have suicidal thoughts as a teenager. He quotes Bono directly on this. He went through some very rough patches as a kid.

beli said:

Most suicidal thoughts occur at a young age, especially for boys. Tisnt unusual.

Lady Luck you are indeed fortunate to not have had such thoughts. I hope you stay that way. :up:

I never told I never thought about it, but between thinking and doing it there's a BIG gap...

biff said:
Neil McCormick's new book confirms that Bono himself did indeed have suicidal thoughts as a teenager. He quotes Bono directly on this. He went through some very rough patches as a kid.

Yeah, he did.
But fortunately he found something that changed his mind (Ali, maybe...)

An absolute stunner, amost as good as the ebst song off the album an cat dubh and probably on par with out of control....

Its so eighties....and Bono's voice is at its finest

Back
Top Bottom