song of the day 08/28: Kite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 08/28: Kite

1. listen to the song
2. read the lyrics
3. post your thoughts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something
Is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it means

I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

And hardness
It sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
You don't need anyone
Or anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know
Which way the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

It's summer, I can taste the salty sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

I'm a man
I'm not a child
A man who sees
The shadow behind your eyes

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know
Where the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

Did I waste it
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement

The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

The 'Who's to say where the wind will take you' chorus might be the most powerful chorus of their career. Electrical Storm's 'sky can crack' chorus is a direct derivative of this chorus. Kite combines finesse with power in a stunning way. The stringy stuff works very well to keep the song grounded in kind of a country-folkish way. This works well with the intrinsic power of the 4 guys playing together on this song. Kite is a centerpiece of an album that found power and beauty in seeing the world from the ground up as opposed to the seeing the world from the sky down which is what the band had basically built their previous 20 years of work on.

The song promotes Safe Sex . . .

And hardness
It sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

Overall a good song. Very deep lyrics. Its a little too slow for me sometimes.

Layton said:
Kite is a centerpiece of an album that found power and beauty in seeing the world from the ground up as opposed to the seeing the world from the sky down which is what the band had basically built their previous 20 years of work on.
I liked your entire post a lot :up:

One of the "gift" songs on ATYCLB. It came together very quickly, ala 'One' and 'Bad'. Their best song since 'Stay'...or at the very least 'Miss Sarajevo'. The vocals are key. Not overblown, and very convincing. The emotion feels real and immediate, probably because it is...unlike, say, 'Walk On', which is simply a very welll written song. 'Kite' manages to pick you up and let you float for a while...but doesn't let you sail completely away. The strings are still attached to the ground...pulling you back down and letting you off just in time to say goodbye. A masterpiece.

"Kite" is one of those U2 songs that grow in meaning and reverence the more you hear it and allow its TRUE POWER to impact your life.:up:

Bono has said that he wrote this song for his children only to see its real meaning reverberate in his life during the time of his father's illness and after his passing.

Thus, like so many of U2's songs ( One, Bad, ISHFWILF, etc) "Kite" begins as a song from Bono to the world only to find that the song has its GREATEST IMPACT when it returns to Bono and resonates in his own heart and soul. :angel:

"Kite" is a BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN, MASTERFULLY SUNG manifesto of HOPE IN THE MIDST OF DESPAIR.

It cries out (literally) the determination to "let go" when the impulse is to hold on to the past. It defiantly throws us into the unknownness of the future.

"Kite" is a true U2 CLASSIC. It's a MAJESTIC SONG that will stand on its own accord for years to come. :hug:

LIFE SHOULD BE FRAGRANT....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

The best song of ATYCLB. And, by the way, I think that ATYCLB is a great album. A great album. One of these days I had a dream in which I was hearing a new song of U2, called "Bulldozer". In this song, the ending solo (yeah, there was an ending solo, Like a Song style) was almost equal to the mid solo of Kite, but was longer. Strange dream...

always heard these lyrics as life after death...as if the one who just died is watching the one grieving from 'up above'

all i know is when i heard it, i loved it, but i feared because of the vocal range it would never make a live show [see also...town, red hill mining]...so it was even a better gift when it made the cut for elevation

I've never understood why U2 never released this song as a single. I think it would have done extraordinarily well.

a high point on the album if somewhat formulaic
comes closest to U2's standards

some awkward cliche-ridden lyrics concerning being blown in or by the wind.
otherwise, not bad
7.7/10 ;)

Back
Top Bottom