song of the day 08/23: Electrical Storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
a game inspired by my friend Saxonny

song of the day 08/23: Electrical Storm

1. listen to the song
2. read the lyrics
3. post your thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sea it swells like a sore head
And the night, it is aching
Two lovers lie with no sheets on their bed
And the day it is breaking

On rainy days we'd go swimming out
On rainy days, swimming in the sound
On rainy days we'd go swimming out

You're in my mind
All of the time
I know that's not enough
If the sky can crack
There must be some way back
For love and only love

Car alarm
Won't let you back to sleep
You're kept awake
Dreaming someone else's dream
Coffee is cold
But it'll get you through
Compromise
That's nothing new to you

Let's see colors that have never been seen
Let's go to places no one else has been

In my mind
All of the time
I know that's not enough
If the sky can crack
To love and only love

Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Baby don't cry

It's hot as hell
Honey, in this room
Sure hope the weather will break soon
The air is heavy, heavy as a truck
Hope the rain will wash away our bad luck

The sky can crack
For love and only love

Electrical storm
Electrical storm
Electrical storm

Baby don't cry
Baby don't cry
Oh baby don't cry
Oh baby don't cry

one of the best melodies ever made, which is enough to be one of the best pop songs i've ever heard. the william orbit mix is the best one.

regarding the lyrics i think that, for bono, those are lazy lyrics. easy and predictable rymes that were probably created five minutes before recording the vocals.

great song

The air is heavy, heavy as a truck
Hope the rain will wash away our bad luck

blargh:|

musically, it's better than pretty much anything on the album though

i agree w/ the comments above. musically, i think it's fantastic, lyrically, not his finest work. But I do love the song.

A very pretty song, but also the first time U2 has sounded a little derivative to me. There's a Leonard Cohen feel to some of the verses that I really like. Other parts of the song though, sound like U2 quoting themselves. I'd give the song an 8/10. The song is presented with a little too much of a formal quality to be one of their all time greats.

The original version of the Electrical Storm killed the Orbit Mix to me, it was a rock song and Orbit turned it into a pop tune. He took a lot of Edge's guitar away. It's a great song musically though, I think Bono's lyrics are alright, I really like the second verse because their simple lyrics but come across really well. It all ends after the second verse when he has that "truck" line. Damn that last part is bad, but the hiccup riff at the end by Edge is great. Good tune overall, I dont know why it didn't do as well on the charts.

i prefer the william orbit version over the original mix because the song lyrically starts out mysterious and continues. then there's the 'truck' verse, where edge rocks out after 'truck/luck' rhyme. so maybe 'truck/luck' wasnt that bad afterall. its sort of a precursor to how edge will play right after that line. but goin back, the sea swelling and head aching, swimming out, dreaming someone else's dream and sleeping are lyrics that are supported by the orbit mix. plus the song sneaks up on you as some storms tend to do, taking its time to climax. good rocker and like the use of weather as a metaphor.:wink:

Last edited:
I originally liked it simply because it was a NEW U2 song. But now I just like it for what it is. It's a rainy day song. It makes me want to go swimming in the sound under gray skies.

I missed this on the day, but I love this song- definately in my top 20 U2 songs. I dont know if anyone else gets this, but some songs are great memory trippers for me, a certain song will just evoke great memories of a particular time/place or event and this song reminds me of this great place that I lived at two years ago which was right by the beach and it was spring and my birthday when the song came out, I love this song:heart:

Nice sounding song, but as it's been said before, the lyrics are pretty poor. More a filler type song to me personally, I haven't heard it in quite a while. Suits being on the best of as the additional tracks, but not really an album song.

One of U2's most personal songs.:yes:

EXCELLENT guitar playing by Edge and ASTOUNDING, HEARFELT vocal performance by Bono. :wink:

Plus, some of Bono's most original lyrics (Let's see colors that have never been seen, let's go to places no one else has been, etc):up:

The lyrics to this song comes from a place where we have ALL been - at a crossroads in a relationship, uncertain of its future but desparately trying to survive the upheaval and swim TRIUMPHANTLY to shore. :angel:

A BEAUTIFUL tribute to LOVE'S LASTING POWER and the sacrifices we make IN THE NAME OF LOVE.:hug:

An EXTRAORDINARY SONG.....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Which version? I really like the "b-side" version, the William Orbit mix is okay. I like the more "rocking" version.

I like the lyrics, with the exception of the "heavy as a truck" couplet.

Came at a time in my life where it's lyrics rang true, "love and only love," hehe, I fell in love. I shared the lyrics with my boyfriend and he thought they were cool, so it'll have some special meaning to me.

I really like ES. I have never considered it one of my top U2 songs, for some reason, but it's a really good rock song (the B-side version, not the Orbit mix which is too light and fluffy for me). I always found the lyrics a bit lacking, but there are some very masterful lines there -

Car alarm
You're kept awake
Coffee is cold
Compromise

This is quite brilliant, and my favourite part of the song. The melody is also very strong and suits the mood of the song perfectly.

Car alarm
You're kept awake
Coffee is cold
Compromise

This is quite brilliant, and my favourite part of the song. The melody is also very strong and suits the mood of the song perfectly

I agree! This is the brilliant part of the song. For some reason this section has Leonard Cohen written all over it to me.

Back
Top Bottom