Song of the Century

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this song because it was the one that made me discover U2. It's really a special song to me, and I think it will become a classic. But it's too early to talk about that.

Yeah It's the biggest song U2 has released for ages and I must say it's probably there most important. However I don't really listen to it anymore, when I first heard it I didn't like it.
It seemed wussy :p But it made me understand U2 more, brought me 2 those earlier albums which I didn't respect before. (honest)

I personally think that The Crazy Frog Song will be the one to watch out for in a few years(joking) :huh:

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
You folks crack me up with your song of the century bologna....it wouldn't be any of the songs mentioned in this thread though I can tell you that....if I had to pick a U2 song though(for this century) I'd say "City Of Blinding Lights" because it is magic. ...originally titled "Scott Walker" in it's working stages...and when you start throwing Scott Walker's name out there..it had better be among the top songs of this century or any before and after. But "intedomine" who threw together that list of contenders from what they've heard on the "radio" obviously just cracked me up. Most likely none of us have even heard the greatest song of the century because it sure as hell will never be played on the radio. My personal vote today though would be "Your Hand In Mine" by Explosions in the Sky. But let's dig into songs that are actually great ok? Not the latest Billboard topper.

Sorry, but with a title like "Song of the Century", it is assumed that it would be widely known. Don't be an ass to veterans like Intedomine on one of your first posts.

bsp77 said:

Sorry, but with a title like "Song of the Century", it is assumed that it would be widely known. Don't be an ass to veterans like Intedomine on one of your first posts.

Hey just cause it's one of his first posts don't make his point irrelevant does it? :wink:

LuvandPeace1980 said:

Hey just cause it's one of his first posts don't make his point irrelevant does it? :wink:

His point, no. His attitude on the other hand.

bsp77 said:
Don't be an ass to veterans like Intedomine on one of your first posts.

Bollocks. Stop licking ass...just because he's a "Veteran", doesn't mean what the other guy's saying shouldn't be taken into account because he has less posts. I thought Interference saw past this whole 'veteran/newbie' crap...

The list sucked. Who the hell could possibly take a 'Songs of the Century (so far)' list seriously when it has crap like 'Stan', 'What you waiting for', 'Complicated' and 'Fuck it' on it?

If people don't like the list, what's wrong with them saying so? We shouldn't have to keep our mouths shut and pretend we don't have a conflicting opinion just because the list was posted by some 'veteran'...!

gareth brown said:

Bollocks. Stop licking ass...just because he's a "Veteran", doesn't mean what the other guy's saying shouldn't be taken into account because he has less posts. I thought Interference saw past this whole 'veteran/newbie' crap...

The list sucked. Who the hell could possibly take a 'Songs of the Century (so far)' list seriously when it has crap like 'Stan', 'What you waiting for', 'Complicated' and 'Fuck it' on it?

If people don't like the list, what's wrong with them saying so? We shouldn't have to keep our mouths shut and pretend we don't have a conflicting opinion just because the list was posted by some 'veteran'...!

Hey, I agree. People just shouldn't be so condescending. Basically laughing at the stupidity of people that are basing the list off popularity. I should have left the word 'veteran' out of it.

I prefer your upfront attack. :wink: Although I must protest the "licking ass" part. I could really care less what veterans or anybody else thinks of me here. It's an online forum, not real life! Some people here tend to forget that sometimes (not saying you).

*breakdances in your face*

edit- okay, seriously, though I probably got a bit carried away in my post above. I'm just on a lot of forums where it's VERY MUCH a case of pecking order. say one thing out of line and you're basically strung up. It's weird, thankfully not much like that happens here ...

gareth brown said:
*breakdances in your face*

edit- okay, seriously, though I probably got a bit carried away in my post above. I'm just on a lot of forums where it's VERY MUCH a case of pecking order. say one thing out of line and you're basically strung up. It's weird, thankfully not much like that happens here ...

Hey, it's cool. I got carried away as well. I shouldn't have brought up pecking order since it had nothing to do with my point anyway.

Firstly, it's ridiculous to be talking about 'song of the century' in 2005.

But so far, if we're talking in terms of influence and wide-reaching appeal, perhaps Beautiful Day.

If we're talking about actual best song, no way it's Beautiful Day.

Hey guys, let's all count to ten and breathe....there was never any condescension intended toward intedomine and i while i did "laugh" it certainly wasn't at that person's stupidity because I never thought or said the person was stupid. I just wish sometimes that more people would broaden their musical horizon's... especially die-hard U2 fans like myself and everyone else here...I guess because I hold fellow U2 fans in such high-esteem. I like and respect everybody on here just for being fans of the greatest band on Earth. Next to U2, i don't listen to much mainstream music though, which is why I get chastised by my other "indie" music friends for liking U2. But there's no denying their greatness and staying power. Long live U2! p.s and thanks to those who defended my right to an opinion without trying to find an "attitude" through my "written" communication. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "bologna".

One of the most crucial songs of their career after WOWY/I Still haven't found.../One.

Well, WOWY and I Still haven't found... made them superstars in US, One saved them from falling apart in the 90's and Beautiful day led them into the third decade and brought them back on the map (of the general public).

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
Hey guys, let's all count to ten and breathe....there was never any condescension intended toward intedomine and i while i did "laugh" it certainly wasn't at that person's stupidity because I never thought or said the person was stupid. I just wish sometimes that more people would broaden their musical horizon's... especially die-hard U2 fans like myself and everyone else here...I guess because I hold fellow U2 fans in such high-esteem. I like and respect everybody on here just for being fans of the greatest band on Earth. Next to U2, i don't listen to much mainstream music though, which is why I get chastised by my other "indie" music friends for liking U2. But there's no denying their greatness and staying power. Long live U2! p.s and thanks to those who defended my right to an opinion without trying to find an "attitude" through my "written" communication. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "bologna".

I over-reacted anyway. People have been annoying me recently with disrespecting other opinions and other bands, so I took it out on you, when you may or may not have meant anything.

Welcome to the forum. We're usually nice. :wink:

U2girl said:
Well, WOWY and I Still haven't found... made them superstars in US, One saved them from falling apart in the 90's and Beautiful day led them into the third decade and brought them back on the map (of the general public).

But BD was sort of destined to do that since they picked it as the first single of the decade. Can we be sure that if they released Elevation or Stuck first, that it wouldn't have been as successful? Just something to ponder.

U2girl said:
Yes, we can. Stuck and Elevation aren't "huge hit" material.

I don't know...when ATYCLB leaked prior to its release in 2000, I initally thought Stuck was the catchiest, most sing-alongable hit type song on the record. I don't know I neccessarily think that anymore but, at the time, I did.

bsp77:

don't sweat it...and glad to be here. And I know what it's like to be disrespected for my taste in music. Happens to me on a daily basis from my "friends", for listening to the obscure.

Back
Top Bottom