Song Battle: The Fly vs. UTEOTW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Two of the hardest-hitting songs on Acthung Baby, but which one takes the cake (that kills Joshua Trees)?

IMO, The Fly is the winner. Definitely. UTEOTW is a great song, but The Fly in Boston was the best live song performance of any song from AB. Ever.

What do you think?

The Fly, no real contest to be honest......The Fly is without question one of the most amazing songs written by anyone in the 1990's

Until the end of the world is just another song off achtung baby for me, which is not saying its bad, just nothing special in comparison with the fly, zoo station and acrobat

Until The End Of The World is incredible live, but the Elevation version of The Fly is fantastic, and I have to say, The Fly wins. Though if I'd just listened to a live performance of UTEOTW, you may catch me saying something completely different ...

album: The fly
live: Until the end of the world

the guitar part of The fly live never really worked for me
somehow I'm hardly able to recognize any kind of melody anymore

UTEOTW especially live. Nothing compares to the energy that goes through the crowd when they did this live during Elevation, except when Streets kicks in, that too!

Dave, you're killing me with this choice. I love them both so much! eenie meenie minee mo....

*sigh*

THE FLY

Album- The entire Achtung Baby LP is, quite simply, a masterpiece. So on the question which of the two recorded LP tracks is better...no comment...

Live- The Fly instantly. You can listen to every single live bootleg with 'Until the End...' present in the setlist...then simply listen to the Live Version of 'The Fly' from Live in Boston 2001. The first time I heard this, I was absolutley amazed.

That version of that track is without a doubt the BEST version EVER. And completley beats the living daylights out of 'Until the End...'.

The guitar solo is absolutley astronomical. The amazing wailing sound Edge crashes into the song with at the beginning sounds excellent...and it just gets better and better...I am yet to hear a Guitar Solo courtesy of The Edge that beats it and was disgusted to see that U2 were too evil to blow the brains out of the crowd at their Slane Castle performance with another potentially outstanding performance of this track!

If they gave everything they got in terms of energy and attack at their Boston gig during The Fly, can you not imagine the atmosphere that song would have generated in front of a HOME crowd of 80,000 jumping fans?! Would have made 'Streets...' sound like 'Achy-Breaky Heart'....

Last edited:
As far as "chopping down the joshua tree" the fly's guitars are pretty much chainsaws doing exactly that, and it is more intense and loud, but I think UTEOTW is a better overall song. It's close, though.

This is probably the closest I've ever picked between two U2 songs.

I'd probably edge towards The Fly however (if you'll excuse the pun!) UTEOTW is stunning live, certainly better than The Fly I think, but the studio version isn't as enjoyable as the studio version of The Fly.

It is really close but... The Fly just about gets my vote!

P.S. I may edit when I get a chance to listen to both these songs back to back again!

Back
Top Bottom