Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own was a horrible single choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisMartini

Babyface
Sorry, but it's way too slow to be played on the radio. I think "City Of Blinding Lights" or even "Miricle Drug" would have been a better choice. I dug the clip, but I still think it wasn't the best decision.

eh...

:shifty:

:yikes:

LOOK AT HIS NICKNAME!!!!!!!!! :scream:

and Trouble is a "fine" single... or even fast?

yeah, I would have released MD, but that's me

PS: :scream:... LOOK AT HIS NICKNAME!!!

I'm sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree. Since when did a slow song mean it's a bad choice or wrong for radio? Loads of slow songs are successful - if they're good enough they'll hold the attention. And it was no1 here so, obviously didn't do it any harm, eh?

I just don't think that alternative radio and Vh1 really "agree" with SYCMOYO. I don't remember it being too successful here, and I think it's because people wanted something a little bit faster to follow up Vertigo. I just think there were better choices.

By the way, I don't like Coldplay. At all. The only reason I even set this nickname up is to promote my Martin bashing website, I suppose.

Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own:drool:
Maybe there were better second single choices, although i Think this song is the best song of HTDAAB
Actually top 5 best U2 songs ever

I AGREE!! I hoped all along that they would not throw such a sweet, special tribute to Bono's Da to the wolves like that. The fact is, we love it, we cherish it for the story behind it and the love that they put into it. It will always be special for those reasons.

But, really, it wasn't that great of a radio song :uhoh: Sure, One was slow, but this is not One, it doesn't flow the way One does. Honestly, "Sometimes" takes over 32 seconds to start sounding like anything at all, and the early lyrics are rather boring and cheesy :reject: I can fully understand how any non U2 fan, or casual fan, would turn the dial. :( It deserved better than that.

I CRINGED I mean CRINGED and ached for U2 when I heard it played on a 'modern rock' station that caters to high school kids and boasts they 'rock harder' than anyone in town, then say 'here's the new rock from U2!' and it started up and I was like, NNOOOOOO they didn't do that! :scream:

Sometimes is a good song, but sometimes, it can't make it on its own. :sigh:

Ok you called the lyrics cheesy and then ended your comment with a very cheesy line ;)

Why would you cringe? I don't get it. I'm sorry if some radio people don't like it. I don't care, though. The fans (mostly) do so I mean isn't that what matters?

Sometimes I'm afraid you have to look beyond radio and TV and stuff like that. I stopped listening to radio since it became crap and I only have 2 music channels, so it doesn't bother me.

ChrisMartini said:

By the way, I don't like Coldplay. At all. The only reason I even set this nickname up is to promote my Martin bashing website, I suppose.

:bow: YES! I have finally found another U2 loving Coldplay basher! :happy: PLEASE send me a link to your site, I want to join and bash Chris Martin without being criticized for it! My email is my screen name, u2kitten@yahoo.com! :wave:

chickadee said:
Ok you called the lyrics cheesy and then ended your comment with a very cheesy line ;)

Oh but it was a good pun! :D

Why would you cringe? I don't get it. I'm sorry if some radio people don't like it. I don't care, though. The fans (mostly) do so I mean isn't that what matters?

I cringed because I knew that the kind of people who listened to that station were going to make fun of it, and I don't want it made fun of, because it's too special a song. Hey both my parents deid too, I feel for Bono. But it should have stayed an album track.

Sometimes I'm afraid you have to look beyond radio and TV and stuff like that. I stopped listening to radio since it became crap and I only have 2 music channels, so it doesn't bother me.

Then leave it on the album to be enjoyed by those who love it, and don't put it on the block of commercial success. It shouldn't be judged that way.

I'm a Coldplay basher too, woohoo, let's unite and defeat them! :D

Fair point about the song too but as I said it was no1 here so I mean, I dunno if it was just commercial but a lot of people who bought it hadn't the album and liked it cause they felt it spoke to them. But I dunno, lol! I just liked it as a single personally, is all! :)

It played on Vh1 and MTV(well during the few hours in the morning when they actually show videos) all the time. So I'm not sure why you don't think it went well.

But the whole too slow thing is BS. I don't remember when they removed all slow songs from radio?!

Sure I'll post my site!

freewebs . com slash chrismartini
EDIT: Apparently I'm not supposed to "post" a "website" so piece it together.

Yeah, yeah, it's freewebs, you don't have to remind me. But it's still "fun"! And, as Mark Twain said, "it's not who hosts it, it's the motherfucking content!" :eyebrow:

Actually I'm NOT a Coldplay basher because that sounds really stupid, and I mean people can listen to what they like. But I personally can't stand them.

Well, I believe people can listen to whatever they want too. (I personally take a lot of heat for being a U2 fan)

I just have an extreme dislike for Coldplay, and am amazed at how much people sing their praises and how 'original' they are, when originality is against their entire existence. I figure I need to level the playing field a bit.

Me and Elijah Wood.

Well I share the extreme dislike, lol. I just didn't want to come across as the sort of person I can't stand myself who gives me a hard time for liking U2 ;)

I don't get why people aren't ALL U2 fans, they're so fab. :D

No way! The song was correctily choosen as a single. In fact, if you compare the alternate version to the album version, you can easily see that despite its 5:03, the song is very radio-friendly and was built and meant to be a single and a hit.

ChrisMartini said:
Sorry, but it's way too slow to be played on the radio. I think "City Of Blinding Lights" or even "Miricle Drug" would have been a better choice. I dug the clip, but I still think it wasn't the best decision.

Yeah, they should have released City of Blinding Lights, wonder why they didn't... :rolleyes:

fuck the mainstream.

Original and/or LAPOE would have made better singles then COBL, imo. MD sounds too much like BD. Look, they even both have D's in them :p And Sometimes was a logical choice for a single. It did pretty well overseas, didn't it? Americans are dumb anyway. In fact, people in general are dumb. If they don't get it, tough.

too slow? was with or without you 'fast enough'? was one 'fast enough"? i don't see Sometimes as being much 'slower' than them. that's cuz it's called a ballad. they do work as single (see Bon Jovi's whole career). sometimes was as good a single choice as anything on the album.

ChrisMartini said:
Sure I'll post my site!

freewebs . com slash chrismartini
EDIT: Apparently I'm not supposed to "post" a "website" so piece it together.

Yeah, yeah, it's freewebs, you don't have to remind me. But it's still "fun"! And, as Mark Twain said, "it's not who hosts it, it's the motherfucking content!" :eyebrow:

After you pass 15 posts, I think you can!

chickadee said:
Well I share the extreme dislike, lol. I just didn't want to come across as the sort of person I can't stand myself who gives me a hard time for liking U2 ;)

I don't get why people aren't ALL U2 fans, they're so fab. :D

There's way too many U2 haters out there.

but what I don't understand is how people can like Coldplay, and hate U2. (sad, but true)

I can't understand how people can like Radiohead, The Killers, Snow Patrol etc and hate U2...all have been influenced by U2..it doesn't make sense to hate U2

I don't think we should trace back to influences.

I mean, U2 had the Clash as an influence, and they sound almost nothing alike.

Re: Re: Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own was a horrible single choice

AtomicBono said:

Yeah, they should have released City of Blinding Lights, wonder why they didn't... :rolleyes:

You missed my point, I thought it should have been released earlier. I actually think that would have been an excellent second single.

ChrisMartini said:
I don't think we should trace back to influences.

I mean, U2 had the Clash as an influence, and they sound almost nothing alike.

I am not talking about sound...i just think there should be some respect from Killers, Radiohead, Snow Patrol fans etc for U2 especially since they influenced the band they love....how can you hate something that so influenced something you love? there should be at least respect.

Its like do i love all of U2s influences? No....but i have respect for them as i can recognise that they are good, but just not my thing...it annoys me when people are blindly hating U2 for seemingly no reason...especially when a band they love is influenced by U2...it just seems ignorant and stupid.

I never liked SYCMIOYO.

most overrated song of theirs in the last 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom