"Sometimes You Can't..." is one of the best songs that U2's ever written.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
I seriously can't get enough of this song.

If I didn't have some very important coursework to work on, I'd post something long about how great this song is, but I think it suffices to say that "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" is one of the best songs U2 has ever written.

It will be absolutely incredible live, a showstopper if ever there was one.

Just had to post. :wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:
It's indeed one of the most moving songs I've ever heard. The lyrics in this one just kill me, they're so emotional. And emotion is what U2 are good at producing, so...

Angela

The lyrics are perfect, yeah, but the music is just as perfect for the lyrics. I love the build:

I know that we don't talk
I'm sick of it all
Can - you - hear - me - when - I - sing?
You're the reason I sing
You're the reason why the opera's in me
Where are we now?
I've got to let you know
A house still doesn't make a home
Don't leave me here alone

But I need to get back to my work...

Despite only recieving a ranking of 4 or 5 on my ranking of tracks from HTDAAB, it is undeniably a U2 classic, that would be considered one of the great ballads had it been released sometime before Zooropa.

An amazing song that sends shivers down my spine after the first 2 and a half minutes of the song.

Amazing...an utter masterpiece.

Single of the year for 2005.

I've started listening to the new album again without skipping songs. They all are powerful stuff. :)

It's more the delivery of the lyrics that is great rather than the actual written word imo, but I'm going to start criticising that for no reason:wink:

I agree with you completely. This is a very moving, emotional song. The first time I heard it, I broke down sobbing. It took weeks for me to listen to it without crying. The song still brings me to tears without warning -- the Grammy performance did that to me, as well.

For me, the power of the song comes from a combination of things. The lyrics, the music itself, the slow build that knox mentioned, and the personal resonance the song has for me. I can relate so very well to Bono's lyrics and his emotion here. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own means a lot to me. It says the things I never got a chance to say, in my own life.

miss becky said:
I agree with you completely. This is a very moving, emotional song. The first time I heard it, I broke down sobbing. It took weeks for me to listen to it without crying. The song still brings me to tears without warning -- the Grammy performance did that to me, as well.

While the song didn't have the emotional impact on my that it clearly has had on you, I will say that this is the only U2 song that has ever brought a tear to my eye -- when I heard it in Brooklyn.

Aardvark747 said:
2nd only to Heartland for me, in terms of lyrical content, sung over a beautiful melody.

Wow :ohmy: I thought I was the only one that really digged that song! It gives me goosebumps EVERY time it builds up from:

"of deserts dry, of cool green valleys
Gold and silver veins - shining cities" :drool:

Fancy starting an Acrobatesque style petition for this peach of a tune, Aadvark747? :p

Sorry folks, kinda lost the plot here. Yeah, SYCMIOYO is a nifty little number as well!:wink:

corner said:

Wow :ohmy: I thought I was the only one that really digged that song! It gives me goosebumps EVERY time it builds up from:

Fancy starting an Acrobatesque style petition for this peach of a tune, Aadvark747? :p

:wink:
I think there are a lot of lovers of this one on here, Axver to name one. But I love the fact that it's a little under-stated, even on a U2 forum!

My fave song of all time incidentally!:drool:

Very powerful song on an emotional level. Definately gonna be a U2 classic. Probably also be used in a lot of romantic comedy movies. Has that perfect sound and meaning to fit most of those heartbreak scenes these movies tend to do.

Can't wait to hear it live. Imagine thousands of fans singing it at the top of their lungs. What a moment that will be.

Sken

This song does have meaning to me as well. My father is still alive, but there has been a distance (mostly because he's just not the type that talks about himself - he talks about "things") and now he's in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease.

That said, I haven't gotten into the song as much as others. To me, this song is a lot like "Stuck..." - a great tune, but one that hasn't won me over yet. Of course, I also didn't really care for "One" initially either, and now I adore it. While "Stuck..." never grew on me, I can see "Sometimes..." becoming a favorite of mine.

One issue I have with it, though, is that it is reminiscent of Mike & the Mechanics' "In the Living Years". The words and melody are vastly different - so it's not like U2 "copied" them. However, the themes are the same. That song came out many years ago (in the 80's) and every time I hear "Sometimes..." I can't help but think of it. The themes of not getting to know one's father, the theme of it being "too late", the theme of seeing one's father in other people, etc. are all there. So it's with that in mind that I haven't been able to enjoy this song quite as much as others.

I was driving about whens some bastard DJ played sometimes... on the radio yesterday and cut it short to put some poxy adverts on!I was absolutely livid:mad: I mean,thats a crime to cut off a masterpiece like that,I was swearing a hell of a lot at the radio(whilst in full control of my car obviously):madspit:

Definitely one of their all-time greats. Not because its so emotional, but its so honest. I still get teary-eyed when I listen to it

Last edited:
HIAS is bad because it sounds just like High Ass to me so don't do it

sometimes has moved up my HTDAAB ranking to compete with "Miracle Drug" as my favorite song. It is perfect for me, Bono at his most emotional.

Amazing. The video is incredible as well, which I think made me fall in love with the song even more.

I haven't actually seen the video for Sometimes yet. :( Can anyone give me a link for this? You'd be making my week...:bow:

Back
Top Bottom