Sometimes I wonder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/u2/allthatyoucantleavebehind
http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/u2/howtodismantleanatomicbomb?q=u2

Why do critics praise the 00's albums while the fanbase continues to bash them? :hmm: I thought critics were supposed to be far too cultured to like U2. (Apparently the fanbase is too hip for their own favorite band sometimes. :shrug: ) My theory is that professional reviews are immune to the U2 album cycle bias because many of them are written either before the album is released or days thereafter. I'll bet, if these critics were all forced to re-evaluate the two 00's records, they would both be considered among the biggest flops in music history. :hmm: (or perhaps I'm just being incredibly smug right now :wink: )

Can we expect the album in '08 to be greeted just as positively? Perhaps the critics won't notice just how terrible Stop (The Poverty) actually is. :sexywink:

love2bmama said:
it seems to me that the "biggest flops in music history" would, by definition, be things no one will have heard of, yeah? :scratch:

Well, Pop is supposedly among the 25 biggest flops of all time, while still selling over 6 million worldwide, so you judge for yourself. :hmm:

xaviMF22 said:

I should cut you right now :madwife:

POP was no flop :mad:

Xavi, are you serious? You know I have a lot of love for Pop. :hug: Any album that followed Achtung would seem to be a flop to the public. (Zooropa, as much as I love it, was more of a tour souvenir...Pop was the real sequel)

LemonMelon said:

Why do critics praise the 00's albums while the fanbase continues to bash them? :hmm: I thought critics were supposed to be far too cultured to like U2. (Apparently the fanbase is too hip for their own favorite band sometimes. :shrug: )

This doesn't even make sense. :huh:

First of all how much of their fanbase bashes these albums? Are you basing this only on interference?

Secondly, what does "far too cultured to like" even mean?

This theory is weak at best...

Re: Re: Sometimes I wonder...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

First of all how much of their fanbase bashes these albums? Are you basing this only on interference?

Secondly, what does "far too cultured to like" even mean?

I would love to see someone make a thread about HTDAAB without it becoming an argument over the album's quality. I think that speaks volumes.

"far too cultured" was my attempt at sarcasm. :eyebrow: I think that one went over your head a bit...

The point of this thread is to discuss the reasons that albums like ATYCLB were hailed as U2's "third masterpiece" when the fanbase considers it to be far from such lofty heights. What are they seeing that we aren't? Are they more tolerant/less picky?

Re: Re: Re: Sometimes I wonder...

LemonMelon said:

I would love to see someone make a thread about HTDAAB without it becoming an argument over the album's quality. I think that speaks volumes.

Make a thread on any album and it will do the same. The way you worded it, made it sound like we were all in agreeance.

LemonMelon said:

"far too cultured" was my attempt at sarcasm. :eyebrow: I think that one went over your head a bit...

No I understand the stereotype of critics, I was just trying to point that out to you, I guess that went over your head.

LemonMelon said:

The point of this thread is to discuss the reasons that albums like ATYCLB were hailed as U2's "third masterpiece" when the fanbase considers it to be far from such lofty heights. What are they seeing that we aren't? Are they more tolerant/less picky?

There you go again speaking for the fanbase as a whole...

I understand you are young, but when AB came out it divided the fans just as much as Bomb. And it was the same exact arguments; they sold out, they are trying to reach "the kids", etc etc...

Critics are just like you and I, they don't know music any better than anyone in here. The only difference they have is they can write(some of them), they get paid for their opinions, and they get advanced copies of albums... that's it.

LemonMelon said:

Why do critics praise the 00's albums while the fanbase continues to bash them?

the problem is you're basing this on interference alone...though I do know a lot of people who think HTDAAB wasn't U2's best (casual fans). But I think ATYCLB is generally somewhat highly regarded?

I dunno, the idea of them being considered some of the biggest musical flops in history is ridiculous. They weren't flops at all. They sold extremely well, the critics loved them, and clearly the fanbase embraced them as the tours sold out. Plus, the band themselves seem mostly happy with them. Pop can be considered a flop because of the bad reviews (though they didn't come til later...), the bad start the tour had (and not selling out as a result), and the fact that it was "unfinished." Though I really don't think I'd call it one of the top 25 flops in musical history :eyebrow: oh internets, how silly you can be

" Plus, the band themselves seem mostly happy with them."

Pfft, I bet they'd love Pop if it wasn't a supposed flop. And they'd hate ATYCLB or HTDAAB if they did bad, too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sometimes I wonder...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Make a thread on any album and it will do the same. The way you worded it, made it sound like we were all in agreeance.

No I understand the stereotype of critics, I was just trying to point that out to you, I guess that went over your head.

There you go again speaking for the fanbase as a whole...

I understand you are young, but when AB came out it divided the fans just as much as Bomb. And it was the same exact arguments; they sold out, they are trying to reach "the kids", etc etc...

Critics are just like you and I, they don't know music any better than anyone in here. The only difference they have is they can write(some of them), they get paid for their opinions, and they get advanced copies of albums... that's it.

Very true...

Especially about AB!

And it's not "The Fanbase", it's a tiny minority which repeats themselves over, and over, and over, and over, and over...well, you get the picture:wink:

So it just *looks* like the majority dislike the albums...the REAL majority likes them (they just mention it once or twice and move on--mostly towards concert tickets!)

And why is it that the vocal minority keep going to the concerts, posting on the forums, etc., despite their disain for the current albums?:eyebrow: :rolleyes:

(Personally, my opinion is that most of 'em are 'full of it':evil: )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom