'Sometimes...' at the Grammys, did you hear Bono's tenor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Listen to the performance of 'Sometimes' and when Bono sings "But can you hear me when I say..." and he sings 'say' in an opera tone...

Stunning! :ohmy:

:eyebrow:

can you hear me when I SING?

and if you're just pointing this out now, where have you been the past few months? :wink:

D'oh, I got them backwards -- but you know what I mean.

And yes, I do have a tendancy to point old things out, but you can't blame me for atleast noticing!

:yes: Try listening to the Brooklyn version - most emotional yet IMO - or better yet, the Saturday night live version - the closest he's ever come to the album version IMO.

I've listened to the other performances, but I'm going to have to say that the radio one version is the most powerful version yet. The synth and falsetto part is almost perfect IMO :drool:

I've loved every version of it I've heard so far. But especially love the SNL version because it was the first time I heard him do the "no regrets, no tears goodbye, I don't want you back" part and it just really made me teary because it was so sad.

Agreed, SNL does win. I managed to not hear any of the leaks and SNL was a virgin listen for me.

I will always remember where I was...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You are so stuck in a certain era it's sad.

Absolutely not.

I love all these eras...

1. Post Punk: Bono's almost shouted out vocals in sync with lightning fast riffs and drums. Classic example: Electric Co.

2. Classic Rock & Roots: Just love the passion in not just the lyrics but Bono's singing of course. Classic example: Bullet The Blue Sky

3. Ironic/Experimental: Love the sense of adventure they had to explore new territories. It's like Bono was thinking "Let's do something wacky and see how the fans respond. Yeah, this is fun... now let's do something even more out there...". This is definitely my favorite era but I don't think I'm stuck in it. Classic example: The Fly

And I like this one but I'm not thrilled with it...

4. Personal & Revealing Safe Pop-Rock: Certain moments like Beautiful Day, Walk On, New York, Miracle Drug etc are good but I'm not looking for opera from my favorite ROCK band. And it's not about age and maturity. Rocking out need not be immature. And age ain't nothing but a number. :wink:

well yeah were right in the middle of the 4th era
so we should expect another great full of heart rock album.....

Boy
October
War

U.F
J.T
R.H

AB
Zooropa
Pop

ATYCLB
HTDAAB
?

Nube Gris said:
well yeah were right in the middle of the 4th era
so we should expect another great full of heart rock album.....

Boy
October
War

U.F
J.T
R.H

AB
Zooropa
Pop

ATYCLB
HTDAAB
?

I think the fourth grouping should be named either the alphabet soup era, or the really long cumbersome album names era. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom