Sometimes at only #19 in Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It could be that "sometimes" was played on the radio to early. I remember it getting a lot of airplay on triple M late last year, which I think ruined it's single sales now. But despite that, Sometimes you can't make it on your own is one of the most powerful songs U2 has made. To see it debut at only 20 really riles my nerve. I don't understand it...

I say this ad nauseum, but who really cares how it places on the charts? Zeppelin had only two top 20 hits in their career (and never even released Stairway as a single), and are still one of the most famous and widely respected bands on the planet.

Neenie said:
It could be that "sometimes" was played on the radio to early. I remember it getting a lot of airplay on triple M late last year, which I think ruined it's single sales now. But despite that, Sometimes you can't make it on your own is one of the most powerful songs U2 has made. To see it debut at only 20 really riles my nerve. I don't understand it...

Yep, especially with those untalented idol contestants doing better and rap artists who have to sample old songs because they don't have anywhere near the creativity of U2. Mind boggling...

I think the fact the DVD single isn't available yet (at least not at HMV, Borders, Virgin, Red Eye & K-Mart in Sydney) hurt it's chances of making the top 10.

And the b-sides are very lame for the price of the single ($10 for another Vertigo remix and a crap duet).

But Neenie is right, the song's been getting airplay for months. You can't expect casual CD single buyers to spend their hard-earned on a track that's been flogged on radio since before Christmas.

This country has no taste. I knew that years ago. Proof: Kylie Minogue, Nikki Webster.

Axver said:
This country has no taste. I knew that years ago. Proof: Kylie Minogue, Nikki Webster.

I'll forgive you for those monstrosities if you forgive we Canadians for giving the world Shania Twain, and Celine Dion

...and plus, you guys created one of the world's greatest rockin' bands, AC/DC. Australians therefore in my estimation are pretty cool people. Rock on!

I'm not suprised. I couldn't even purchase the single last week. It hadn't shipped to Trax over here. I went in on Monday and was told that the shipment would arrive Monday afternoon. I went back Tuesday and the shipment was delayed until the next Monday ie today. I trust the shop assistants as two of them are U2 nuts. They assured me they had ordered the singles. I believe them.

Even in places where the singles are available, the DVD is not.

This single had no chance of opening in the top 10.

Kylie's not a monstrosity....

A debut for SYCMIOYO at 19 makes me ashamed to be an Aussie.

But just think of it like this. If Anthony Callea or Pete Murray or Jet replaced U2 in the artist column, the single would without doubt be at number one.

Australia love their "idols" more than anyone, and even more so the idol runner up.

Also quite disgracefully, and as possibly the most xenophobic nation on the planet, many of us only really like to support music that comes from Australia. Sickening! Pete Murray and Missy Higgins are just pair ofsinger/songwriters in the minds of non-aussies. Here we treat them as Gods. Sad.

Aussie Rock is also farcical. Bring back real INXS and the Oils.
And Jet sold out before they even formed!

So true intedomine, especially about the highly overrated Jet.

Another problem with Sometimes... not enough R&B or Hiphop in it, something Aussies also seem to love.

Tour baby Tour. This country needs to rediscover U2 again, and what better way than a knockout tour. Its been a long time coming and I think most people here wont know what hit them when it arrives. Nothing like a fresh slap in the face to wake people here up and show them what real talent is about.

So 'Sometimes' debut poorly. HTDAAB will soar once they step onto our shores.

Sken

fucking idiots at management. Why did they encourage it to be played so damn early?! I was hearing SYCMIOYO played all the time in early december and they release it officially over 2 months later and they're surprised it debuts at 18? Honestly something is seriously wrong here. The same thing happened with Vertigo, they play it until everyone gets sick of it, and 2 months later when the single comes out it absolutely bombs and falls out of the charts before it could be profited out of. U2's management should not have allowed the songs to be played so damn early, now they have bombed totally. I still can't believe a no. 18 debut for U2, absolutely shocking. I hope managment or whoever's responsible learnt a lesson. Argh :mad:
Sorry, bad day. :wink:

intedomine said:
Kylie's not a monstrosity....

A debut for SYCMIOYO at 19 makes me ashamed to be an Aussie.

But just think of it like this. If Anthony Callea or Pete Murray or Jet replaced U2 in the artist column, the single would without doubt be at number one.

Australia love their "idols" more than anyone, and even more so the idol runner up.

Also quite disgracefully, and as possibly the most xenophobic nation on the planet, many of us only really like to support music that comes from Australia. Sickening! Pete Murray and Missy Higgins are just pair ofsinger/songwriters in the minds of non-aussies. Here we treat them as Gods. Sad.

Aussie Rock is also farcical. Bring back real INXS and the Oils.
And Jet sold out before they even formed!

I apologize....Kylie's music is a monstrosity

Kylie should be shot into the sun. She has to be one of this nation's worst exports. Glad I'm actually a Kiwi ...

My CD and DVD singles have been shipped by Sanity. Of course, I didn't get around to ordering until the weekend so it's not as if it's late for me. Strange that they told me 3-4 days postage, though, when HTDAAB took just a couple of days (ordered it on a Saturday, got it on the Monday).

And you watch, your order will arrive before mine. I think sanitys delivery system consists of attaching their packages to random goannas and pointing them vaguely west.

beli said:
And you watch, your order will arrive before mine. I think sanitys delivery system consists of attaching their packages to random goannas and pointing them vaguely west.

:laugh: :lmao:

Then the goannas discover musical taste and run off with the packages ...

AussieU2fanman said:
fucking idiots at management. Why did they encourage it to be played so damn early?! I was hearing SYCMIOYO played all the time in early december and they release it officially over 2 months later and they're surprised it debuts at 18? Honestly something is seriously wrong here. The same thing happened with Vertigo, they play it until everyone gets sick of it, and 2 months later when the single comes out it absolutely bombs and falls out of the charts before it could be profited out of. U2's management should not have allowed the songs to be played so damn early, now they have bombed totally. I still can't believe a no. 18 debut for U2, absolutely shocking. I hope managment or whoever's responsible learnt a lesson. Argh :mad:
Sorry, bad day. :wink:

I'll tell you a little secret. Singles make virtually no money. Their sales have dropped so far it's almost laughable that they are still in stores at all. The 'new song on the radio' is usually more about spiking album sales. Thus Sometimes was rushed onto the radio a while before it was in store etc. The first wave rushes out and buys the album in the first few weeks. The second wave, (which in this case coincided with the all important Christmas wave) needed a boost and that was a new song on the radio to prove that the album wasn't one single. That song was Sometimes, and I bet that Universal and U2 don't really give a flying fuck about Australian singles sales, but most certainly wanted that album in the top 3 for Christmas.

Aardvark747 said:

:up:
I feel ya - tho we in England have some almost as bad as her, and sadly, there are far too many to list.

The USA, UK, and Australia: the Coalition bringing crap musical exports to the people of Iraq. Forget freedom and democracy; it's just one huge conspiracy set up by the record companies to make more money! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom