Something weird about Zooropa and WTSHNN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxxern

Refugee
Does anyone else here seem to hear a weird, distorted opening of WTSHNN in the opening of Zooropa? Like instead of a smooth organ followed by clean guitar strokes, we get radio static followed by a "wah wah" guitar. And instead of getting something like "and when I go there / I go there with you", we get ad slogans telling us it'll all be alright as long as we use the specified products. Also there seems to be a lot of land imagery, like dust and deserts in WTSHNN, versus mud in Zooropa. Almost like Zooropa was intended to be a parody of WTSHNN. Someone else might be able to find more stuff like that that's similar.

Maybe I'm the only one thinking like that though. But I always felt that if Achtung Baby chopped down the Joshua Tree, then Zooropa was the tree being chopped up and used for firewood to power the video screens of ZooTV and Popmart. They wanted to once and for all destroy their "holier than thou" image and get people to believe that Zooropa was the sound of U2.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Zooropa was the tree being chopped up and used for firewood to power the video screens of ZooTV and Popmart.

And it is and it was, and it's my favorite!!!!

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

I think Zooropa and WTSHNN have some big similarities, the whole quiet beginning and build up to a sonic erruption..
Like you stated though, Zooropa is also pretty different in those ways. Very interesting.

Those are some very good points. I had never even thought about that.

*pops Zooropa into CD player to listen*

Originally posted by SkeeK:
sonic erruption

Now that's pretty much the term I was looking for. Yeah, I think they both have that sort of building up to something that can fill a room (or an arena) with sound. They just have almost opposite messages in them. Funny how U2 can take something, flip it upside down, and come full circle. Kind of the story of their career.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Back
Top Bottom