Something weird about ABOY live...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Desert Dog said:
I would rather have U2 use backing tapes if they need too instead of having additional musicians on the stage also - like the Eagles from 1994 on. Non-band members on stage performing just takes away from the core dynamic

I'd rather U2 make songs the four of them can play. They're the ones devising these songs in the studio. If they decide to make songs that require more than they are capable of playing live, then that's their own stupid fault.

Axver said:

I'd rather U2 make songs the four of them can play. They're the ones devising these songs in the studio. If they decide to make songs that require more than they are capable of playing live, then that's their own stupid fault.

LOL!

Have you ever heard of a song on an abum that has NO guitar overdubs? No? didn't think so.

U2 have ALWAYS had multiple guitar parts on albums, when they play live Edge plays the most "signature" riff.

All bands nowadays have backing tracks, get over it tbh.

Last edited:
what i don't understand is why bono can play guitar on some songs, but on others they use a backing guitar. why does bono even pick up a guitar in the first place? and just for the record, i could care less that they do these types of things, i just find it extremely odd-no need to flame me

TC2290 said:

LOL!

Have you ever heard of a song on an abum that has NO guitar overdubs? No? didn't think so.

U2 have ALWAYS had multiple guitar parts on albums, when they play live Edge plays the most "signature" riff.

All bands nowadays have backing tracks, get over it tbh.

Well I don't like it. Music's about what you do live, on the spot, not what you can do in the comfort of a studio where you can mix something to sound better than it actually is.

Axver said:

Well I don't like it. Music's about what you do live, on the spot, not what you can do in the comfort of a studio where you can mix something to sound better than it actually is.

Well I suggest you stay away from Sgt. Pepper or Revolver in that case..... Or any U2 song ever.

That actually displays a kind of snobbery and as a musician I find it ignorant. The only people that do "on the spot" are blues and jazz musicians and to be honest it's quite boring to listen to for the regular punter. U2 don't improvise on-stage, they hone their songs in the studio then adapt them live (backing tracks have been used on practically every song since BAD).

TC2290 said:

Boston DVD, Walk On, the high guitar riff is a backing track with Bono pretending to play it.

yeah, I called this 3 years ago and everyone was like "huh? not a chance".

the question is: WHY? every other performance of walk on edge is definitely playing it: tonight show with jay leno, tribute to heroes, slane dvd....:scratch:

it's one of those wtf? moments.

TC2290 said:

Well I suggest you stay away from Sgt. Pepper or Revolver in that case..... Or any U2 song ever.

That actually displays a kind of snobbery and as a musician I find it ignorant. The only people that do "on the spot" are blues and jazz musicians and to be honest it's quite boring to listen to for the regular punter. U2 don't improvise on-stage, they hone their songs in the studio then adapt them live (backing tracks have been used on practically every song since BAD).

you're absolutely right.
in fact, there's only one band that I can think of that has heavy guitar/keyboard intricacies of layering and still plays everything live without tapes or sequencing: radiohead. but then, there's 3 guitar players, all of whom double on keyboards. (and the bass on 1 or 2 songs also).

hey, in my own band, I play bass and keyboards. but sequencing keyboard parts is incredibly difficult and has a very large margin for error because the hardware is so tempermental. so I record myself playing the keyboards and we play a cd of it live while I'm playing bass.

To me, there is a difference: backing tracks, sequencers, or whatever you want to call them, are necessary and very important on tracks like Streets and Bad. But on out-and-out rock tunes, like Gone or ABOY, I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I'm not a purist, U2 has been my favorite band for 14 years, but I'll never understand why they feel they need to do this on a few songs that would obviously sound just as good with no backing track.

ABOY is supposed to be a garage tune, but I honestly can't see the Ramones or even the Who doing something like that. It's only my opinion, but ABOY loses something in the live performance when it is played this way.

medmo said:
To me, there is a difference: backing tracks, sequencers, or whatever you want to call them, are necessary and very important on tracks like Streets and Bad. But on out-and-out rock tunes, like Gone or ABOY, I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I'm not a purist, U2 has been my favorite band for 14 years, but I'll never understand why they feel they need to do this on a few songs that would obviously sound just as good with no backing track.

ABOY is supposed to be a garage tune, but I honestly can't see the Ramones or even the Who doing something like that. It's only my opinion, but ABOY loses something in the live performance when it is played this way.

yeah, it doesn't really need the other guitar.

JOFO said:

yeah, it doesn't really need the other guitar.

Fuck it, we get to hear The Edge jamming with THE EDGE, he played the parts in the first place, I don't hear anyone slagging off One live which is technically just as bad in terms of other guitars on the backing track.

U2DMfan said:

It's clearly, absolutely, 100% two guitars during the live performance. The taped portion is the melody line, the distorted sustain guitar (same one used in Gone) and incidentally, that same Gone intro is taped and used during live performances.

This is true, however.... I would like to see Bono pick up the guitar and play it.

mkdominatr said:

This is true, however.... I would like to see Bono pick up the guitar and play it.

He can't to be honest. Well, not play it and sing at the same time.

TC2290 said:

Fuck it, we get to hear The Edge jamming with THE EDGE, he played the parts in the first place, I don't hear anyone slagging off One live which is technically just as bad in terms of other guitars on the backing track.

yeah, I guess it doesn't bother me really.
whatever.
it's not lip-lsynching afterall.

TCUFrog said:
if they use backing tracks and bono "pretends" to play, why does he even need to pick up a guitar?

I think Bono picking up the guitar and standing in with the rest of the band gives him a break from the energy he expends when he's full blown entertaining. It's like quiet time for him. I'm sure it shifts the mood of the audience in a desired fashion too. We probably need it too.

I'm not sure why he wants his guitar to be turned down to be barely audible. Perhaps he's a bit self-conscious when he doesn't need to be. Hasn't his guitar feed been turned up a notch every tour? In the 80's you couldn't hear him at all, where as during the Elevation Tour you can hear him?

I don't think it's an issue that they use backing tapes. I would rather not have the extra musicians and I trust they know what sounds best to entertain us.

TCUFrog said:
if they use backing tracks and bono "pretends" to play, why does he even need to pick up a guitar?

I always wondered about that too!
I don't think he really plays live either, as I remember during Walk on, on the Slane dvd, half way through the song someone comes and takes his guitar while he was supposed to be playing it and furthermore, I couldn't hear a difference. (mind you, I don't have a good guitar ear but still :wink: ) and he never gets his guitar back. :hmm:

Another thing I wonder about is during Gone on the Boston dvd, when Edge smashed his guitar on the ground, you could see someone (Dallas?) in the underground with a guitar in his hands. Now I think it looks like this person was also playing along, so maybe they don't use that many tapes.

I think you can only see this from the other camera angle (directors cam?) I'm not sure, it's been quite a while since the last time I've watched it.

greety said:

I always wondered about that too!
I don't think he really plays live either, as I remember during Walk on, on the Slane dvd, half way through the song someone comes and takes his guitar while he was supposed to be playing it and furthermore, I couldn't hear a difference. (mind you, I don't have a good guitar ear but still :wink: ) and he never gets his guitar back. :hmm:

Another thing I wonder about is during Gone on the Boston dvd, when Edge smashed his guitar on the ground, you could see someone (Dallas?) in the underground with a guitar in his hands. Now I think it looks like this person was also playing along, so maybe they don't use that many tapes.

I think you can only see this from the other camera angle (directors cam?) I'm not sure, it's been quite a while since the last time I've watched it.

Dallas tunes up the guitar before he hands it to Edge, that's what he was doing. Apparently that guitar was too smashed up to be repaired :'(

Would be cool if Dallas plays along with some songs...kinda like a fifth member...
(Nirvana also has Pat Smear playing along live to fill in some extra guitarsounds)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom