Something to share with you all... Re: U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
So what better place to share my thoughts with you in regards to U2. So I'm here in my office and I'm hearing some of my co-workers talk about Bono & U2. They are having this conversation on how artists have at one point or another done compelation guest appearances with the likes of Mary J. Blige, J-Z, Coldplay etc and many others. So I hear Bono's name being mentioned by my c--worker. "Then Bono comes in that part of the song, the biggest ego and sings.. blah blah blah... with a full line up of ego's in the music industry ". Another of my co-workers says, "Yeah, the thing that I don't like about U2's music is how they always throw in the social agendas and shove it down evryone's throat blah blah blah..." They proceed to mention Coldplay as well. Now, I know that this has been stoned to death about Coldplay becoming the next U2... they somehow ended the conversation with Coldplay going down U2's path.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love music... there is some real talent out there. My co-worker who is trying to get into the music business is in a Hip-Hop group. It's more of a throw back early 90's style. He really has talent. But when I hear him and others talking like that about my favorite band.... it bugs the shit out of me. In times like this... where we have a shitty economy, poverty, war etc. you name it... why is U2 being bashed so much for being socially concious? I mean, we hear bitch this and bitch that... bling this and bling that. Songs that don't mean squat. Have people really lost perception of reality. I'm I making sense!?!? Feel free to add your two cents. And sorry for any typos.... :|

It is very sad that U2 are attacked for this... although I tend to prefer Bono's 80s and 90s styles, his social activism now is one of the reasons that I got into U2 in the first place, and I admire and respect the hell out of the man for it. He could have become everything that he attacked in the 80s and made fun of in the 90s, but, instead he's using his "spoiled rotten lifestyle" to genuinely help people. Bravo. And if Chris Martin is going down the exact same path, good for him. I believe that both Bono and Chris believe in what they are saying and are entirely genuine.

No matter how much I attack Bomb and ATYCLB, they are both much, much better than 90% of popular music, and they still manage to be popular (even if they don't get as much airplay in the States as they used to). Same with Coldplay, although I personally like Viva la Vida better than ATYCLB and Bomb. No matter how 'crappy' the 2000s lyrics are, they're only crappy by U2 standards, and they're very often not crappy at all. COBL is a lyrical masterpiece. WITS is amazing for a pop song. Mercy would be a lyrical masterpiece if it was finished. Kite is amazing. Even they're less-lyrically-awesome (but still very-good-overall) songs of the 2000s (BD, Vertigo, The S Songs) have more meaning than anything popular nowadays (although I'd make an exception for Coldplay; I like Chris' lyrics).

I love U2.

People like things that are safe and don't challenge themselves. It's sad but true and you see it again and again. It's much better that bands like U2 are questioning things that matter as humans rather than promoting sex and violence. I don't get it either though.

As for Coldplay...I like some of their stuff, but don't get me started...

I totally sympathize with you man. Can't really understand either why some people get so up in arms when they hear others voice concerns about social issues. U2 (or any band soing such things) are not shoving their beliefs down anyones throats -- people buy their music and go to see them and make them popular with their own free will. The boys have always responded to this kind of criticism with a "we are who we are; you can like it or lump it" approach. If your against the things they stand for (meaning you like poverty....?) then you don't have to listen to them. No ones making you.

But really this is such a common sort of perspective, I truly think it comes from some sort of distorted psychology. sometimes it seems almost defensive, so it could speak of guilt I guess. Also a lot of it is just ignorance and misinformation about what the band has said and the kind of work Bono does, especially. He is so often portrayed in really messed up ways, and people who don't know any better latch onto that and make their judgements. It's sad and frustrating, but it's their loss! :yes:

People that think that way about U2 are the uneducated ones. Sad really. And on the topic of Coldplay, I have tried to get their music but I just can't embrace them or their music. Probably because I am so loyal to U2 and have loved them from the very beginning. I don't dig the copycats I guess. :shrug:

So what better place to share my thoughts with you in regards to U2. So I'm here in my office and I'm hearing some of my co-workers talk about Bono & U2. They are having this conversation on how artists have at one point or another done compelation guest appearances with the likes of Mary J. Blige, J-Z, Coldplay etc and many others. So I hear Bono's name being mentioned by my c--worker. "Then Bono comes in that part of the song, the biggest ego and sings.. blah blah blah... with a full line up of ego's in the music industry ". Another of my co-workers says, "Yeah, the thing that I don't like about U2's music is how they always throw in the social agendas and shove it down evryone's throat blah blah blah..." They proceed to mention Coldplay as well. Now, I know that this has been stoned to death about Coldplay becoming the next U2... they somehow ended the conversation with Coldplay going down U2's path.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love music... there is some real talent out there. My co-worker who is trying to get into the music business is in a Hip-Hop group. It's more of a throw back early 90's style. He really has talent. But when I hear him and others talking like that about my favorite band.... it bugs the shit out of me. In times like this... where we have a shitty economy, poverty, war etc. you name it... why is U2 being bashed so much for being socially concious? I mean, we hear bitch this and bitch that... bling this and bling that. Songs that don't mean squat. Have people really lost perception of reality. I'm I making sense!?!? Feel free to add your two cents. And sorry for any typos.... :|

:up:

Coldplay = U2 :down: Coldplay is just as their name, plain cold :yikes: they ,must be the most boring band in the whole world

Some people just want their music to be just the music and not anything else attached to it, socially-wise. They don't want any additional "message". I have a friend that is like that. Mind you I don't think she's a big music fan. I can't remember who or what we were talking about, but she said the same thing - didn't want "blah blah blah" shoved down her throat. I don't think it was U2, but it could have been. Could have been the Dixie Chicks for all I know. To each his own I guess :shrug:

What I love about U2 is that often, instead of "shoving a message" down your throats (which I have no problem with!), they're songs often are deeper and simply make you think. Streets is an amazing example of that, as are all of the more personal lyrics of Achtung and Pop.

And on the topic of Coldplay, I have tried to get their music but I just can't embrace them or their music. Probably because I am so loyal to U2 and have loved them from the very beginning. I don't dig the copycats I guess. :shrug:

You know, criticizing an artist for being influenced by others is just as ignorant and immature as criticizing an artist for speaking their mind. Calling Coldplay 'copycats' is quite hypocritical. It is all a matter of creating the style of your art out of personal experiences.

It all comes down to whether or not the message gets to the listener, like your friend. I mean, rap music started as a means of expelling socially conscious ideals... and still is like that, but has different forms, too. Maybe the messages there get through to him while the ones in U2's music doesn't... that doesn't make him any less of a person though if he doesn't see it your way.

I think you hit the nail on the ehad with the comment about the current state of the world. The American credit crisis, the war etc, means that people are focusing more on themselves. If they were living comfortably, they have time to get passed their own problems, and look at others. the survival instincts in humans are stronger than we appreciate, and it is amazing to see how most people will take care of themselves before others.

U2 getting bashed for being socially conscious, as many have already said here better than I could, is a byproduct of the fact that there are a lot of idiotic people in the world. As was said, it is the uneducated ones that think that way about U2- everyone I know with half a brain in their head sees that there is nothing wrong with using your fame(more people know Bono or Chris Martin than their congressman, sad but very, very true, believe me) to help other people. Compared to the self absorbed shit show we are treated to constantly w/ Britney Spears, Paris, Lindsay Lohan, etc, etc along with a whole laundry list of Hollywood prima donnas whose drinking, drugging and teenage pregnancies have to pass for our front page news, we should not be complaining in the least bit. As I have always said, Bono's money and time has always been and is right where his mouth is, he does not do it to say how wonderful he is/be better than us, again plenty of celebrities do that all on their own without taking up any cause but themselves. Bono has been the single most prominent, effective and eloquent participant in the 2000s successes in global poverty and disease elimination: drop the debt, global aids commitments, the ONE Campaign to facilitate all this, Elevation investing in companies, promoting trade, starting RED and getting high profile corporate participants, his record is there for all who have been paying attention. Dont believe me, ask the politicans who have no reason to suck up to a rock star from Ireland- they control who gets the money, and many skeptics have come away 100% on board with our agenda after Bono met with them and talked to them. The uneducated people we have spoke of in this thread take the view that a rock star is supposed to be some 'dude' type guy who just sings and acts cool and by the way takes a few girls backstage for some personal time at the end of the show. Well, Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam have made clear from about 1980 that they are not your typical rock and roll types, they are first and foremost 4 guys from Dublin who grew up amid the poverty and war that they are working against, many forget how destitute Ireland was before the 1990s. I work security at concerts, have met all of them and met plenty of other famous people and they are JUST THAT PEOPLE, all are different, different quirks, different degrees of friendliness/nastiness, etc, uneducated morons dont understand that they are people with views who have every damn right to express them in whatever way they want. It is good to know where a band you like comes from as PEOPLE, what inspires their music, etc. If Bono is doing so much good and all these idiots resent it, then let them look in the mirror and ask if they have done more good and done it better. What do most of these celebrities use their fame for? To marry 5 times, drink, drug, check in to rehab, expect to have their asses kissed, and then come backstage to a concert I am working at and keep their nose in the air the entire time like they are something special and not worthy of being talked to by a lowly security guy. The ignorant idiots would prefer this to someone who actually does a massive amount of good in this world?

As for Coldplay, worked their show Monday night at Boston Garden, Gweneth there, Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen,Jerry Seinfeld, Steven Speilberg, all the celebs like this was the biggest show in the entire world. Please, these guys really DO think they are U2, I had no idea the extent to which they thought this. As big of an atmosphere as they tried to make it, last show on the leg of the tour, etc, I went out and watched a few times, and could not help but laugh. They call this album their unforgettable fire, but you walk into a U2 show now and its electric, the crowd, you can just feel it as we all know, that you are watching superstar legends, never mind one in the UF period when they were rising so rapidly. I could not help but think how different it would have been in 1985 w/ U2 and how much more extensive and gripping U2's rise to fame was. Needless to say, Coldplay, whatver they think, is NOT EVEN CLOSE. And live vs U2, forget it, we will not even discuss it. I like speed of sound, in my place, etc good songs, viva la vida dont get me started, so they are not bad, dont get me wrong. Had to get that in there as this was literally my first Coldplay experience.

The criticisms of U2 being socially conscious tend to go in one ear and out the other. For all that some people bitch about, U2 doesn't seem to be having ANY problems selling albums and selling out stadiums and arenas worldwide. I don't think I've met a person from the western world age 14-60 that doesn't know at least a few lines of a U2 song. That sort of stuff speaks for itself. For every outspoken U2 hater I can find a dozen people that range from liking some of their music to being huge fans. If they suck so bad and people hate them so much, why do their shows sell out in five minutes? Right.

I'm not someone that blindly worships at Bono's feet and condones every word from his mouth; I have my own opinions and criticisms of some of his ideas and social agendas. But if I have an issue with something like (RED) or One Campaign, I will take it up with them, not go around spouting "U2 sucks because Bono is marketing (RED) iPods..." Not to mention that U2 has always been pretty socially conscious, pushing people's buttons. Think of Bono's rants/speeches from the 80s...compared to those my main criticism would be the Vertigo ones are TOO soft.

For some people U2 and social issues are a bit like TV programs about nature: you can't have one of those anymore without some bit about the environment and our responsibility for it.

Back
Top Bottom