Something that has been bugging me for years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
The CD cover for The Joshua Tree.. Why in the hell were their heads smooshed and stretched? Isn't this an insult to the photography of Anton? Who's idea was that anyway?

On the subject of looking skinny in recent pics...that one of the band on the cover of some mag with Larry shirtless. It REALLY doesnt look like how id picture him! Im sure it is mind u, it just looks funny.

It probably has something to do with the artwork not orignally being done for a cd cover. Instead of redoing it for the different dimensions, they just manipulated the picture to make it fit (huge graphic design no-no!) I assume for the re-release it was redone.

I've never looked closely at mine. :shrug:

i agree entirely. i remember having the joshua tree vinyl and being struck by the album cover - the starkness of the photo and the simple beauty of the understated lettering. the cd art annoys. the booklet is a square format, would seem to me to have been a perfect opportunity to create a smaller reproduction of an amazing piece of album art. i've often wondered the same thing...:huh:

I also agree. Anybody remember the CD long box back in the 80s? That's when I bought my copy. The longbox looked great, then this horrid looking THING came out of it. Not only was the cover picture awful, but what was up with the generic back cover? Interestingly, I just found out about the re-done cover in the UK -- it's not in the States, to my knowledge. So, I've ordered through Amazon UK; it should get here in another day or so.

Here's the re-done cover:

NewJTCDCover.jpg

And here's a reproduction of the original I did on Photoshop, sized for a CD jewel case:

Original-JT-Cover.jpg

Last edited:
GiacomoHoldini said:
I also agree. Anybody remember the CD long box back in the 80s? That's when I bought my copy. The longbox looked great, then this horrid looking THING came out of it. Not only was the cover picture awful, but what was up with the generic back cover? Interestingly, I just found out about the re-done cover in the UK -- it's not in the States, to my knowledge. So, I've ordered through Amazon UK; it should get here in another day or so.

Here's the re-done cover:

NewJTCDCover.jpg

And here's a reproduction of the original I did on Photoshop, sized for a CD jewel case:

Original-JT-Cover.jpg

Hey :wave: I see you took my advice from the Duran board and came over for a visit! :)

How-dee. Um, how do I start a new thread? I haven't figured this board out yet...much more advanced than the Duran board.

There really is no good pic of the guys on any album cover. I think maybe the guys are self conscious of their appearance and want to be distorted. I don't know why, if they have any insecurities they can come to PLEBA and get an ego boost;)

U2Kitten said:
There really is no good pic of the guys on any album cover. I think maybe the guys are self conscious of their appearance and want to be distorted. I don't know why, if they have any insecurities they can come to PLEBA and get an ego boost;)

Or completely creeped out :eek:

When my cassette tape of JT finally wore out, I saved the cover insert. After I bought my CD copy of the album, I tucked the insert with the beautiful, undistorted cover art inside the CD case.

kennerado said:
I bought the JT CD last year and it had the "squished faces" cover.

I don't know how many markets the redone cover is in. Like I said, I ordered mine through Amazon UK. I had first read about the redone cover online in an article posted from a UK magazine. Also, the picture I posted above of the redone cover came off of Amazon UK. I am supposed to receive it this Friday or Saturday. Once I do, I'll let you know how it is. But, if it's the same old squished cover, I'm sending it back. Who needs it? I've had the squished cover for over fifteen years.

Back
Top Bottom