Something I never understood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:

There is also letting your music speak for you. I'm quite happy to judge the quality, or lack thereof, of U2's music without Bono telling me ad nauseum what I should be feeling.

so artists shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions about their own work? :huh:

I've never thought that Bono was nearly as egotistical as everyone seems to think he is. Ironically, he's also always quick to admit he's big-headed. that's one the of things I really appreciate about Bono. He's honest, wears his heart on his sleeve, and often times he's really self-deprecating. He admits to his faults. And he's trying to make a difference. Trying and succeeding! It may be hypocritical for a rich rock star to help the poor, but he'll admit to that, and isn't it better than doing nothing at all? At least he's using celebrity for something worthwhile! If people's lives are saved, do we really need to get hung up on whether or not the lead singer of one of the biggest rock bands in the world may be a little arrogant?

Uh, Bono is talking about their music on his own, that is just his opinion. He isn't telling anyone what they should feel.

Good if more bands had the collective ego and drive for what they do as U2 does we wouldnt hear so much brutal music out their as we do today. I wish more bands would feel the same way....and I agree most of it is sarcastic however I feel that Bono and U2 as a band feel they are the best band in the world when they get it right and in my mind this is a good thing and something more people should be aiming for. Enough of the pretencious crap you get from most bands and artists.

Keep up the good work Bman....People hated U2 before ZooTV i think this has went way back to the very early days....keep hating it is a good motivator for this band :)

I have always found Bono quite ironic and very critical about himself and his actions and abilities. I see a way of reflecting about himself that I would like to see with other artists as well.
And he and other artists can say what they want about their own music. Does not change my opinion more than what some random other people or critics say about it. For me, it's quite interesting to learn what an artist thinks about their own work, why they find it great and why they don't.

I´ve met many doctors, lawyers, scientists, managers, and more that have far more of an ego trip than Bono. We can see them in every day life, but I bet the whole neighborhood doesn´t wantsto burn them at the stake.

I think cynicisim is a way of covering insecurities, just the same as Bono´s stage persona and "ego" would be for him.

I think it makes it easy for the Bono haters to speak out on how much he and U2 sucks because it´s much easier to do. Keeps you cool with your negative friends and usually it´s much easier to be negative.

If you asked them to give a logical response why they hate Bono so much, I am willing to bet they couldn´t muster much of an intelligent argument.

Halifax said:
*Comes out of lurking*

I just don't get it. "What don't you get...?" you may ask. Well, us U2 fans we know all of the cliches regarding Bono: he's egotistical, a tosser, trying to play Jesus, has a big ego, arrogant, "I love U2 but I just can't stand the lead singer"...yadda yadda yadda.

This is what i don't get: why is he regarded arrogant? Why does everytime his name is spoken, the words "egomaniac" are automatically attached into the conversation? Am I the only person who's puzzled by this? Am I the only one confused about all of these accusations and have wondered in what basis these people pin these accusations on Bono?

To me, Bono is far from being an "egomaniac". I love him because he's not your typical "drug taking/womanising/Pete Doherty-esque rockstar". His humanatarian work far exceeds simple charity. He's not a another celebrity content with merely holding a giant cardboard check while smiling at the camera's: he does all the hard yards by doing the raw research in debt cancellation, meeting with countless bankers, politicians, media barons and world leaders to champion his cause. In his words, it might be more glomarous for a rock star with a hankerchief around his mouth and a molotov cocktail in his hand yelling from the sidelines, but it's something else altogether to put on a suit and tie with with a suitcase fillied with World Bank statistics and venture around the dark backrooms of politics trying to twist the politicians arms in doing something good for Africa. All in the while trying to create beautiful music and putting together the best rock show in town (seeing them for the FIRST TIME on the 18th in Melbourn. Can't wait).

We're in a disgustingly empty and superficial celebrity culture where monstrosities like Paris Hilton and givin the spotlight for...uh...doing what exactly? It's a breath of fresh air for a celebrity like Bono to offer some substance.

I've just realized I'm beeing ranting too long, but my point is, if Bono is really as arrogant and egotistical as people say he is, then how come U2 has lasted for so long with the same four guys and their music still remaining relevent? I just find it strange that people call him an arrogant tosser while at the same time Liam Gallagher admitted point blank that he is the reincarnation of John Lennon in an interview (watch the extras in the DVD footage of the Brit Pop documentary "Live Forever" for that interview).

It just that as a U2 fan, this has been bugging me for a while.

*Goes back into lurking*

I've thought about this too. I think that perhaps Bono's attitude challenges people's perceptions too much. To be more specific - well, let me digress for a sec, and then come back to the point.
I recently read somewhere someone describing Bono as having "a quintessential alpha male mentality - where others see limitations, he sees only possibilites." This is the single best description of him I have ever read (well, that and "Bono has many heads for his hat.")
That sort of mentality, which Bono exhibits constantly, is rare, and people find it either inspiring (like most of us) or challenging. If challenging, then they react to it by assuming that there must be something "fake" about it - or that Bono finds the energy and the courage to behave the way he does only by an excess of self-absorption. I think that to admire Bono, to believe in Bono - if the phrase is not too much of a reach - takes either innocence or self-confidence. Many people are lacking in both.
There's more to it than that, but that's at the heart of it for me...

I opened the paper on the train today, and it's the section where repoarters go out on the steeet to ask people their views on particular issues. Today questions happens to be: "Do you think Bono is too political?" The answers were:

"He's too many things - annoying, conceited, arrogant. Just say BoNO."

"He's too vocal about being political. If he's got opnions, I'd rathe rnot hear about them. I hate him."

However, not all of the opnions were negative...

"No, you can never be too political. I'm a rapper and I appreciate what Bono says."

I felt like tearing up the paper in anger when i read the first two quotes. Again, WHY is he considered arrogant? WHY is he conmcedered conceited? SHOW ME the evidance to back it up! And really, if you think Bono is too political, then what do they think of John Lennon, Peter Garrett, Tom Morello, Kanye West and millions of other "political" artists?

I just getting sick of all this. The whole "arrogent", "egotistical" and "conceited" thing is already becoming a big cliche. I think it's time we should transfer all of those remarks about Bono and transfer them to the |whay the fuck are they famous" celebrities like Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie. Unlike them, at least he gives something back to the world. If one life is saved by his humanatarian work, then why complain?

Halifax, I wouldn't be upset about some crap survey from a newspaper. They will always publish the most drastic anwers from people.
The man is famous, famous people are always polarizing, causing controversy.
You cannot expect everybody to have so much inside knowledge about Bono than the hardcore fans. Most people have only superficial knowledge of a famous person, based of what they see and hear in the media. And many people can't stand a person like Bono just because they are famous and rich.
I'd say there is a lot of jealousy involved as well.

last unicorn said:
Halifax, I wouldn't be upset about some crap survey from a newspaper. They will always publish the most drastic anwers from people.
The man is famous, famous people are always polarizing, causing controversy.
You cannot expect everybody to have so much inside knowledge about Bono than the hardcore fans. Most people have only superficial knowledge of a famous person, based of what they see and hear in the media. And many people can't stand a person like Bono just because they are famous and rich.
I'd say there is a lot of jealousy involved as well.

Yeah I know that i shouldn't get too worked up in all of this, and that you really can't please everyone. It's just that I'm getting tired of all of the "Bono is egotistical" cliche's which kinda motivated me to come out of my lurking shell and post this thread.

Halifax said:

Yeah I know that i shouldn't get too worked up in all of this, and that you really can't please everyone. It's just that I'm getting tired of all of the "Bono is egotistical" cliche's which kinda motivated me to come out of my lurking shell and post this thread.

My one close friend who doesn't like U2 once told me that Bono always seemed like the shallow sort who would date models. This statement was so ludicrous I gave up trying to even talk to her about U2. You can't argue zoology with someone who sees elephants as lemurs.
Bono could be the most transparently good person who ever lived and a significant number of people would still hate him. In fact, goodness arouses hatred... the reason Bono gets all the accusations that Paris Hilton doesn't is that nobody takes Paris' pretensions to respectability seriously.

Back
Top Bottom