Someone explain to me what happened to Island records...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've actually been wondering about that myself lately.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

(I'm not sure of the years but....roughly)
Island are stand alone record company.....
(10 yrs later)
Island gets bought by Polygram.....
(10 yrs later)
Polygram gets bought by Universal...

Universal are now a f***n huge record company (the largest in market share, roster size, everything) and own a million labels of different sizes. So they did alot of shaking and merging and whatnot between all the small labels owned by Universal and Polygram to make it more streamlined. Lots of labels disappeared completely, I'm surprised Island survived...

Island is a relatively small label. 80% of Islands revenue is probably U2. The Island name and 'brand' still exist (it has alot of history with some styles of music), but essentially they were merged into Interscope. Esp. in the US where Island had pretty much no presence at all except for U2.
In Australia and Europe (I believe) we still have the Island label on ATYCLB, but it doesn't really mean anything, it's all Universal Music. And U2's deal would still stand.

It's a bit more complicated then that and businessy, but basically thats it. It's around, but it's just a brand name now.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
(I'm not sure of the years but....roughly)
Island are stand alone record company.....
(10 yrs later)
Island gets bought by Polygram.....
(10 yrs later)
Polygram gets bought by Universal...

Universal are now a f***n huge record company (the largest in market share, roster size, everything) and own a million labels of different sizes. So they did alot of shaking and merging and whatnot between all the small labels owned by Universal and Polygram to make it more streamlined. Lots of labels disappeared completely, I'm surprised Island survived...

Island is a relatively small label. 80% of Islands revenue is probably U2. The Island name and 'brand' still exist (it has alot of history with some styles of music), but essentially they were merged into Interscope. Esp. in the US where Island had pretty much no presence at all except for U2.
In Australia and Europe (I believe) we still have the Island label on ATYCLB, but it doesn't really mean anything, it's all Universal Music. And U2's deal would still stand.

It's a bit more complicated then that and businessy, but basically thats it. It's around, but it's just a brand name now.
thanks for clearing that up, i was also wondering what had happened to Island!
smile.gif

------------------
"I think the psychology of the bass player is interesting. If you've chosen that instrument you've decided in a way that your role is to support, to make everyone else feel confident" - Adam

sunlight, sunlight fills my room
it's sharp and it's clear
but nothing at all like the moon..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

U2 Photo Album

I would also wantto add that Interscope is a company owned by Jimmy Iovine, U2's ex producer.

Andy

Tyler: thanks for clearing that up. I always thought U2 kept Island as their record company outside US and moved over to Interscope for US market. (because in Europe they still have the "Island" label.)

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-22-2001).]

I wish they were still on Island. At least I could find the CD singles in my own country!!!Remember Achtung Baby? Got every single here without having to "import" them!!

------------------
N A T E

We Need New Dreams Tonight...

Back
Top Bottom