Somebody explain to me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
But I think "Grace" is a good song.
Don't get me wrong, it's a pleasant tune, but it lacks the oomph you want out of a closer, primarily because it doesn't go anywhere. And I understand it isn't really supposed to go anywhere, but it's still a poor closer.

Maybe if they put a big epic track right before it and used "Grace" as a sort of come-down track, it'd work (kind of like "Thorn Tree In the Garden" on Layla), but "New York" doesn't cut it either.

My $0.02

ATYCLB was a huge dissapointment after hearing songs like TGBHF and Stateless. Can you imagine a whole album with that kind of a vibe going on? I waited for it and it never came. Mercy is in that same vein so there may be hope for the future.

Elevation and POE are the only songs on ATYCLB that are not listenable to me. I just can't sit through either of those songs without wincing.

SIAMYCGOO is a good song but the production is not the style I would prefer.

IALW is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. My only complaint is that it has a poor ending. I wish they had taken it somewhere else at the end with some kind of outro or something.

Wild Honey is a good song but not better than TGBHF, Stateless or even Levitate. As with a lot of ATYCLB songs, it does not hold up well to repeated listens.

New York a weird one for me. If I am in the right mood it can be great but most of the time just too boring. It feels like it is unfinished, not production-wise but songwriting-wise.

Grace is a beautiful song that is much maligned. It is a great closer. Not U2s best by any stretch but good nonetheless.

I know U2 made a lot of deliberate decisions with ATYCLB and that is why it sounds like it does. I have nothing against the direction they took. I just feel they could have executed it a lot better. There is nothing wrong with straight up pop songs if they are done right.

Elevation was always going to be on there, it's naive to think it's not because it was so successful. It was world-wide hit, whether this forum likes it or not, and was even remixed and put in a movie.

My version has TGBHF so I can't complain, but I would have replaced Grace with something else. It is just a weak song. Like typhoon said, it goes nowhere. 5:40 of nowhere.

typhoon said:

Maybe if they put a big epic track right before it and used "Grace" as a sort of come-down track, it'd work (kind of like "Thorn Tree In the Garden" on Layla), but "New York" doesn't cut it either.

That is exactly how it is though, with NY and Grace. NY soars and tumbles all over the place and definitely sounds like the big 'epic' track (apart from Walk On) with the Sinatra-esque crooning and Grace is the mellow closer that follows. I have to admit that I've kinda warmed up to Grace recently.

Same reason Fast cars and Mercy didn't make the Bomb - they do not fit the mood and themes of ATYCLB.

Wild honey as a pop song fits perfectly into the U2 goes pop style album. It's U2 sounding like the Beatles and doing a pretty good job at it, though I'd also mention Simon and Garfunkel as the influence.
Elevation nicely conveyes the upbeat, optimistic tone of the album as well. It worked/works well live, too.

An UF-esque Kind Of ATYCLB

Thanks NamkcuR for reminding of the Influx Elevation (which may go well together with TGBHF and Levitate?)

1. Electrical Storm
2. New York
3. Stateless
4. When I Look At The World
5. Grace
6. Never Let Me Go (opening narration edited out)
7. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
8. Elevation (Influx Version)
9. Levitate
10. Beautiful Day
11. Walk On (Hallelujah Single Version)

Electrical Storm (the album begins with a relationship in crisis)
New York (he takes off to the "Big City" in an attempt to escape from it all)
Stateless (hung over, he wanders the streets, life has lost its meaning and direction, love is lost, faith is lost)
When I Look At The World (an angry fist at God, an outstretched hand to God)
Grace (a transformation, a healing)
Never Let Me Go (he returns home, works towards reconciliation, repairing and reinvigorating the marriage)
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Elevation (Influx Version)
Levitate
Beautiful Day
Walk On (Hallelujah Single Version)

Remaining Tracks:

1. Always
2. Are You Gonna Wait Forever
3. Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic Version)
4. Kite
5. The Hands That Built America (Soundtrack Version)
6. Peace On Earth
7. Falling At Your Feet
8. Summer Rain
9. Wild Honey
10. Flower Child
11. Love You Like Mad

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is one of the best U2 songs ever, and I was disappointed it wasn't on ATYCLB, but I do agree with others that it doesn't quite fit in with that album.

However, Stateless would have been perfect between New York and Grace (although I don't like Grace personally). It would have bridged those two songs much better.

So I would have had Stateless on there instead of Wild Honey. I'd keep Elevation, however. It's a more upbeat, lighthearted tune that works well on the album.

Back
Top Bottom