Some u2 bashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
..going on at Murmurs.com/talk , an Rem forum. In the music section there's a threat titles U2, How to...well you know the rest. But i tried to defend them the best i can without sounding like u2 elitist to the end asshole, which i am, hehe
:wink: but anyway...chekc it out if you want, it's quite amusing.

Love REM. Always have--but the fans on Murmurs are insane.
A recent thread was Bands Everyone Likes but You Think are Overrated.
Everyone agreed that the Who, U2, Bruce and the Talking Heads were crap. :eyebrow:

Oh, MrBrau1 often posts there. And defends U2!

People like that are a waste of my time....don't let them suck you in to thier negativity. People can diss my U2 and Floyd all they want...one less person I have to worry about getting around at a live show!

me and Mr. Brau outta team up, cause it's a wicked fight. And im shocked to hear that they are ignorant enough to say that the Who, and Talking heads are overrated, not to mention U2, but all three are in my top 5 bands list that exists in my head....Rem is another, but damn, they are nuts

maybe it's some kind of cult where they are ONLY allowed to like REM or their balls are chopped off by law:huh:

Well, they like REM so that's something. But they also seem to think Up is better than Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic for the People. :coocoo:

I don't think REM has ever put out a "bad" album but I do think that the last two (haven't heard Around the Sun yet) aren't as good as most of the older stuff.

That's also why I laugh when Interferencer's complain that U2 is past their prime. It could be worse folks. A lot worse.

p.s.- On a positive note REM are still GREAT live. I just think they miss ole Bill Berry. Imagine U2 without Larry Mullen Jr. Shudder.
A terrible thought.

the only songs from the post automatic era that i really like are The Great Beyond and All the Way to Reno, everything else post-Automatic.. I feel is a little too heavy on the lyrical side and light on the musical side... and I do consider myself an REM fan just as much as a U2 fan, but I really haven't gotten a chance to explore post-Automatic too much as I haven't even explored all of U2's pre-Joshua Tree stuff yet

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Well, they like REM so that's something. But they also seem to think Up is better than Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic for the People. :coocoo:

I don't think REM has ever put out a "bad" album but I do think that the last two (haven't heard Around the Sun yet) aren't as good as most of the older stuff.

That's also why I laugh when Interferencer's complain that U2 is past their prime. It could be worse folks. A lot worse.

p.s.- On a positive note REM are still GREAT live. I just think they miss ole Bill Berry. Imagine U2 without Larry Mullen Jr. Shudder.
A terrible thought.

my brother bought me tix to go see REM @ the ACC in toronto, but I had a 3-hour class at University during that time and my marks were lagging so I didn't go :(

this was last year during their greatest hits tour by the way

Last edited:
I've heard Around The Sun. It's very good :cool:

What U2 should be worried about is the Manic Street Preachers "Lifeblood" album out on the 1st November. I've heard this and it's frankly brilliant and I can see this doing really well, at least in the UK...

....but HTDAAB is not out for a whole month after that so maybe no bad thing :) At least they won't hit the chart at the same time :wink:

Yeah, you get the indie elite type that bash U2. But if you ignore them, that plasce is good. One thing I did notice, last week the new REM album leaked, and there were threads from people who couldn't find it asking for help. Well, most of those threads went unanswered. Not a very helpful bunch. Compare that to here, where anyone asking for Vertigo will have 10 emails or replys in 5 minutes. We're just better.

TheWho4Life said:
I don't even know who REM is :shrug: Heard of them, yea... but don't know what the heck the sing or whatever.

REM is a great band.. pick up a copy of Automatic for the People.. you definately will not like it the first listen, but give it a few listens and it will soon become one of your favourites.. its probably the most coherrent and complete album from the last 15 years, and stands shoulder to shoulder with Achtung Baby

in theory, REM fans go hand in hand with U2... and they are the only bands from their era which are still around

Last edited:
OK people, I just read the whole thread at Murmurs.com...all four pages. You call THAT bashing?? Any more than what you are doing right now? I suggest you read the posts before you get your shorts in such a bunch. makes you look really pathetic. And I love that they wouldn't close the thread because some whiner (from here I imagine) wanted it. You call them nuts...take a look at yourselves too.

What I saw was some people liked Vertigo and/or U2 and some people didn't. Big deal. You really don't need to bash them, they do have a right to a differing opinion. Even the "indie kids" you so snottily mentioned.

the thing that I found funny was them insulting U2 for making the deal with best buy... first of all I really doubt the band is really paying attention to that type of stuff, they probably let other people around them take care of it... secondly what REM did was even regarded as a bigger type of sellout when they moved from their indie label to Warner Bros. in the late 80's (although I think in hindsight they didn't really sell out)

MrBrau1 said:
Yeah, you get the indie elite type that bash U2. But if you ignore them, that plasce is good. One thing I did notice, last week the new REM album leaked, and there were threads from people who couldn't find it asking for help. Well, most of those threads went unanswered. Not a very helpful bunch. Compare that to here, where anyone asking for Vertigo will have 10 emails or replys in 5 minutes. We're just better.

word...

The weird thing is that U2 and REM fans seemed to intersect more in the 80's. I knew a lot of people who preferred one band to the other but only a very few who didn't respect both bands.
That's really changed over the last five years or so.
The REM fans seem...I dunno, almost bitter about the continued success of U2 and the (relative) decline of REM's album sales.

Another thing I find odd--since when did REM fans hate all the new wave bands and all the classic rock? I mean the New Wave and College Radio movement really launched REM back in the '80's. And "back in the day :)wink: ) REM fans used to acknowledge that the boys were greatly influenced by 60's bands like the Birds and the Velvet Underground.
Now all the REM fans on Murmurs claim that they hate U2, Talking Heads and pretty much everyone who isn't a member of Wilco.
Weird.

On an even more side-y side note, I can't for the life of me understand why Life's Rich Pageant is such an under-loved album. "I Believe," "Superman," "These Days," "Cuyahoga," and "Flowers of Guatemala" ALL ON THE SAME ALBUM and people tend to just shrug at it...I do not get it.

paxetaurora said:
On an even more side-y side note, I can't for the life of me understand why Life's Rich Pageant is such an under-loved album. "I Believe," "Superman," "These Days," "Cuyahoga," and "Flowers of Guatemala" ALL ON THE SAME ALBUM and people tend to just shrug at it...I do not get it.

You can't post that here! Don't you know this is an REM bashing thread! :D

But seriously, that's a really great album. I love early REM...

Back
Top Bottom