Some u2 bashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From '93 to '97, I would defend U2 on other websites, whether that be a writer who debased them and needed to "set the facts straight" or whether that be a fan on another fan site.

Then I realized that it's pointless. There are plenty of artists I don't like - or songs I don't like. Having, say, a Celine fan come here and brag about how good she is won't change my mind. I can appreciate Celine has a great voice. And there are a token few songs I don't mind. But overall, Celine is not for me and that's all there is to it. No matter what a fan says, it's not going to change my mind.

Now, if there's a new artist and I've only heard one song, I might be willing to give the artist a second or third listen (i.e., the entire album, not just a current single). I've done this with Radiohead. I own 4 Radiohead albums and the last few really haven't done much for me. I'm one of those who enjoyed their work in the mid-90's and not much since. But I gave them plenty of listenings - they just aren't for me. I can appreciate their talent, but their music isn't my taste. Likewise the Smashing Pumpkins. I thought they were brilliant - but Corgan's singing hurt my ears. Michael Stipe's crooning is brilliant and I've always enjoyed R.E.M. But Corgan's singing reminding me of some dying whale - it was whiny and high-pitched, it just wasn't for me. So despite the brilliance of the Pumpkins' music and lyrics, it was the vocals that drove me away. Still, I gave these artists a chance.

Most likely, R.E.M. fans have given U2 a chance too. Now, if they feel U2 is competing with R.E.M., then that's ridiculous. The market will expand to accomodate both. And R.E.M. will be inducted into the Hall of Fame when it's their time. However, if these R.E.M. fans are just slagging on U2 out of ignorance, I would only recommend they listen to more songs. Otherwise, I would just ignore them. As I wrote, it's tough to convince others that they are "wrong". People have to discover this for themselves. :wink: Therefore, just recommend some of your favorite U2 songs and leave the forum - nothing more should be said. It's really not worthwhile having "wars" over U2 on non-U2 sites.

u2ulysses said:
From '93 to '97, I would defend U2 on other websites, whether that be a writer who debased them and needed to "set the facts straight" or whether that be a fan on another fan site.

Then I realized that it's pointless. There are plenty of artists I don't like - or songs I don't like. Having, say, a Celine fan come here and brag about how good she is won't change my mind. I can appreciate Celine has a great voice. And there are a token few songs I don't mind. But overall, Celine is not for me and that's all there is to it. No matter what a fan says, it's not going to change my mind.

Now, if there's a new artist and I've only heard one song, I might be willing to give the artist a second or third listen (i.e., the entire album, not just a current single). I've done this with Radiohead. I own 4 Radiohead albums and the last few really haven't done much for me. I'm one of those who enjoyed their work in the mid-90's and not much since. But I gave them plenty of listenings - they just aren't for me. I can appreciate their talent, but their music isn't my taste. Likewise the Smashing Pumpkins. I thought they were brilliant - but Corgan's singing hurt my ears. Michael Stipe's crooning is brilliant and I've always enjoyed R.E.M. But Corgan's singing reminding me of some dying whale - it was whiny and high-pitched, it just wasn't for me. So despite the brilliance of the Pumpkins' music and lyrics, it was the vocals that drove me away. Still, I gave these artists a chance.

Most likely, R.E.M. fans have given U2 a chance too. Now, if they feel U2 is competing with R.E.M., then that's ridiculous. The market will expand to accomodate both. And R.E.M. will be inducted into the Hall of Fame when it's their time. However, if these R.E.M. fans are just slagging on U2 out of ignorance, I would only recommend they listen to more songs. Otherwise, I would just ignore them. As I wrote, it's tough to convince others that they are "wrong". People have to discover this for themselves. :wink: Therefore, just recommend some of your favorite U2 songs and leave the forum - nothing more should be said. It's really not worthwhile having "wars" over U2 on non-U2 sites.

Very well said. People have their opinions for a reason and they have probably held them for quite a while. It's very unlikely we are going to change their minds with a few posts on a message board.

u2ulysses said:

I actually agree completely, I just had to get it off my chest. And I wasn't really trying to convince them to like U2, everyone has there opinion. I just don't think you should disparage other bands from making it into the Hall of Fame. I don't really like Madonna, but I would not rag on her making it. She has been immensely popular and has had a profound influence. As others have said, I think there is a competition btwn some U2 and REM fans. It used to be more friendly, but has gotten uglier as REM's popularity has waned (at least in the US) and I think they are upset that U2 is now so much bigger. I think the whole thing is stupid, the bands are great friends.

Oh, and BTW, I disagree with U2ulysses are a couple of things. I love Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins , but it is all personal opinion and he gave real reasons which I respect.

wow.. now I'm starting to like REM's Leaving New York *a lot*... just watched the video, its over at http://www.nme.com/features/110013.htm (click the leaving new york button then in the bottom right of the flash window that pops up you can watch it)... i guess i'm creating an attachment to this song because today i'm going to San Jose (i'm based in Toronto) for 5 days for my brother's wedding!.. only 5 days, but still, I always find it weird when I leave Toronto.. the last time I went somewhere for an extended time was to the Bay Area (for a little over a month) so I did find it hard leaving Toronto, and once I made a whole bunch of friends there, I found it even harder to come back

Last edited:
members who frequent the radiohead atease msg board bash u2 about all the time

mind you the people on that board hate ANY music that makes more than 2 dollars

Anyone read the thread on Murmurs about all time top 10 groups and none of them have put U2 in(except me of course). Most of them have The Smiths at number 1. Yes thats right The Smiths, well I for one can not stand this total whining drivel band. What was ever their appeal? Morrisey sounds like a cat being strangled and when you hear him singing it makes me wanna go get a noose and hang myself! So are all these Murmurs members from the USA, and are they just getting into The Smiths over there or what? Please someone explain to me what the fu#k is going on?

Also just checked on Murmurs and it seems I've upset them by slaggin The Smiths! Whoops!:wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom