Some sales-figures...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holyjoe5

The Fly
This is what The Sun (a tabloid in the U.K.) claims:

"U2?s latest album All That You
Can?t Leave Behind has shifted
9.5million copies worldwide in its first year ? more than their 1987
classic The Joshua Tree did over the same period. Sales of that have
now hit 19million."

We are probably all pretty much aware of ATYCLB's sales, but I guess JT's have always been a little mystery (atleast to me).

I really doubt things put out by the Sun Tabloid. I have a number of sources that put Joshua Tree's first year sales at around 15 million. Joshua Tree was the largest selling album worldwide in 1987. While ATYCLB has sold very well this year, its sales are still not really comparable to Joshua Tree. In fact I would put ATYCLB total worldwide at about 10.3 million now based on the info I have. McGuinness said the album was over 9 million in August. On a worldwide basis, ATYCLB sales are similar to Achtung rather than Joshua. Where the Joshua Tree stands now in Worldwide sales is a big "?".

Sting: I agree and disagree with you.
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if The Sun is *that* incorrect. We've had this discussion before, where you have stated that you estimated sales of JT to be close to 30 million worldwide (please forgive me if I am wrong). However, I feel your estimate is very high.

I've read numerous reports as well that put JT's sales at 14 million for the first year. Remember, it took almost two years for it to be certified as 5x Platinum in the U.S., so even though it was a top-selling album in the U.S. in '87, it most likely "only" sold between 3 and 4 million copies - much as what ATYCLB will do. As you have stated many times, the sales back then compared to now have changed. Last year, for example, N'Sync's "No Strings Attached" sold over 10 million copies to actual customers. Clearly this didn't happen as often in the 80's.

With 14 million copies sold in one year, that leaves an additional 5 million copies for the 14 years since (1988 through and including 2001). Here is where I agree with you.
wink.gif
I admit, that number does seem low, especially since JT went from 4 million certified copies sold in the U.S. in '87 to being certified as 10 million copies sold in the U.S. in '95. That alone is an additional 6 million copies shipped to the U.S. since 1988. Therefore, one would have to put the total number of copies shipped well above 20 million (14 million in '87 + 6 million more certified just in the U.S. in '95 + extra worldwide sales).

Therefore, either The Sun is just flat-out incorrect in their JT sales figures OR they are reporting only the number of copies sold to actual customers (that is, perhaps 20+ million copies were shipped, but only 19 million were sold to customers).

I actually have revised my own estimate for Joshua Tree worldwide and think its more like 25 million. I've done this from looking at the British version of RIAA and have seen that sales after the first year or two for several U2 albums is only a fraction of what it is in the USA. It seems to suggest that Catalog sales are not as a big a thing overseas as it is in the USA. I've also brought down my previous Achtung Baby figure of 20 million to 16 million.

Back
Top Bottom