Some possible new song titles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
I was just reading about the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame's U2 display at u2guatemala.com (http://www.u2guatemala.com/rrhof_nivel06.htm) when I came across a bit on Eno's handwritten notes for ATYCLB...

the site transcribes the notes.. it's mainly a list of song titles with some thoughts on each. I thought it was kind of interesting becuase Bulldozer is mentioned, although I imagine the rest are scrapped, or retitled by now.

"Cowboy Miracle"
"Zulu House"
"Come On (love is all around)" - Bono's guitar
"Once Upon a Time / Good Morning" - Feb 8, 99.
"Sweat of the Sun" - Great chorus
"Bulldozer" - Very complex chords but it works.
"Are you gonna wait forever"
"Rock the Rocking Chair"- (edge chords)
"The Discovery" - (edge's chord pattern) same piano sound (DX)
"Walk thru the circle" (Edge + Bono)

Jaco modified (UP3-74)
same settings

caught in a moment
caught in a time
that doesn't move

"Dangerous Key"
"Big Jesus about Time"
"But the Tears will come soon"
"Rock my soul"
"Jubilee"
"Velvet"
"Big Rock Ballad" - (lovely riff) Edge + Brian
"$ 1,000,000 Theme"
"Toffee Apple"
"Levitate"
"Miracle Driver"
"A Dozen Roses"
"Love will never say goodbye"

Last edited:
"But The Tears Will Come Soon" sounds like "Time Enough For Tears" (to me at least), and it's obvious what "$1,000,000 Theme" is referring to.

In regards to "Levitate", I'm pretty sure I remember someone remarking on the similarity of that to Elevation, so could there be a connection there? Just an alternate version or something?

Personally, I'm not overly keen on some of those titles. "Cowboy Miracle" and "Rock The Rocking Chair" in particular sound silly.

Homerpalooza said:
Why are their working titles always so much more distinctive and fun than the final, official ones?

Because the way U2 writes is music first, then Bono ads in lyrics. These were probably all named prior to lyrics.

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Jubilee=Beautiful Day for sure, confimred in article.

my only other guess is "Big Rock Ballad"=Kite
Brian Eno and Edge. :)

"Bulldozer: Complex cords but it works" That makes me want to hear Bulldozer even more.

Working song titles are just that - working song titles!

It's easier for the band to say "let's play Dangerous Key" than "lets play the one where Edge goes duh nah nah" - know what I mean?

The final title usually changes once Bono comes up with some lyrics.
If any songs keep their title it's usually because it works for the track itself and if the lyrics are wrote before the music.

Back
Top Bottom