Some music bad news...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
For those of you who got to see Rage Against the Machine open for U2 on the west coast consider yourselves very lucky.

I think RATM was a very unique and amazing rock and roll band. They were huge fans of U2 and of all kinds of music of all types. Their political stances may have been a bit strong, but they seemed to be taking up the torch from older rebel/politcal outspeakers such as U2.

I was able to see them live once when the Atari Teenage Riot and the Wu Tang Clan opened for them and all I have to say is the show blew me away. During the performance Zach de la Rocha fell down and broke his ankle. There was almost a riot when they walked off stage and riot police and state troopers took over. The band came back on and finished an amazing set (broken ankle and all.)

Those of us who were fans of the band knew how fragile they were as the members did not always get along, but shared many beliefs. I was awaiting the day when the RATM/Beastie Boys tickets were to go on sale for Giant' Stadium when I heard some bad news that one of the beasties fell of a bicycle and broke his collarbone. The tour was cancelled and that seemed to be it for RATM.

Zach left the band.

Then, very recently came the news that the remaining members had recorded enough material for a new album with Chris Cornell at the helm. Cornell is an amazing singer, and Soundgarden was an amazing band that also burnt out too soon.

Last week they announced that the new RATM or whatever they were going to be called would premiere their stuff at this year's Ozzfest. (The only real reason to buy a ticket to that tour (besides Ozzy, of course, hoow can you not like Ozzy?)).

This week Cornell pulled out of the group.

I am disappointed as I think they could have been a great band (and I have not even heard a note of their stuff yet.)

I just feel as Bono had said at Irving Plaza that cold night - it must be hard to be in a band, it must be even harder to stay in a band. So many have come and gone so recently and it is just upsetting. We need a new rock movement that will bring forth bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins, as they have very clearly left a gaping void to fill.

Thank god we have U2 to still produce rock during this absence of decent non-rap/rock non-rap rock and roll bands.

Just a thought.

Thank God Pearl Jam is still around.

Speaking of, they need to release a new album soon!

yeah sucks about the cornell/ex rage project. i wonder if the music will ever get released? or maybe it will not and just remain one of those great musical "what could of beens".

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

mad.gif
mad.gif

I am such a Chris Cornell fan, and I was really looking forward to hearing what he did with those guys...
any reason as why Chris left?

I've seen them 2-3 times in concert before, and yes, they were awesome. I wish Zach would have stayed
frown.gif
Great band.

Originally posted by mikal:

I'll second that!

Originally posted by Hewson:
They went into the studio in Feb to start work on new album...supposed to get a new release and a rarities album this year.

Excellent news!

Originally posted by david:
yeah sucks about the cornell/ex rage project. i wonder if the music will ever get released?

I believe it is indeed going to be released this summer.

like you say, there needs to be a new band to fill the void with someting new, so no need for a rehashed RATM
smile.gif

Likewise, I would look for the (almost impossible) new U2 when the day comes to mourn their passing!

They went into the studio in Feb to start work on new album...supposed to get a new release and a rarities album this year.

I never got into their music, but I certainly respect them as musicians and artists. They always seemed to be edgey and not content with playing it safe. Sad news indeed.
frown.gif

Originally posted by ouizy:

I was able to see them live once when the Atari Teenage Riot and the Wu Tang Clan opened for them and all I have to say is the show blew me away. During the performance Zach de la Rocha fell down and broke his ankle. There was almost a riot when they walked off stage and riot police and state troopers took over. The band came back on and finished an amazing set (broken ankle and all.)

Hey I have that show on video. Zach was jumping on stage to Bombtrack during the "Burn, burn, yes ya gonna burn" chorus and as he was on the ground after he fell that part of the chorus kept repeating on a recorded loop. lol. Aww the memories.

Sad to hear bout Civilian breaking up before it took off. I'm sure some of their work is going to breakout in bootleg form or maybe even in a produced CD. I hope so since both Rage and Soundgarden were some of favorite bands.

BTW - I give a big hell yes to hearing that Pearl Jam is recording. And as Mikal said, thank God they are still around.

[This message has been edited by Calvin N. Hobbes (edited 03-30-2002).]

Originally posted by Hewson:

Maybe they should focus more on trying to make an album only and not even think about "rarities". Everything they have made in the last few years sounds like a "rarity" or an "oddity" in fact so much so that it dosen't make the radio or mtv so how can we hear it?

And people wonder why their popularity is shrinking. I mean, except for the two covers they have done, nothing else had made the radio here in the last 4 years. Of course, radio here sucks, but still.

I like PJ, loved their stuff (fave cd Vitology and fave single 'i got id') but I long for the power days of 92-96, before it went away.

Rage opened for U2 during Pop Mart, I think when they played in LA or somewhere. They donated all the money to charity too.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Yeah I was lookin forward to the new Rage thing too, oh well at least we get one album out of it. As for Pearl Jam, they haven't got into the actual recording of a new album yet, just rehearsals. They're rarities album will be out this year, new album out early 2003. This info is on their offcial web site.

well if it's any consolation there are so many new groups coming that kick ass. I personally feel that groups such as Travis, Coldplay, The Strokes, Pete Yorn, Ryan Adams, John Mayer are all worthy successors to the rock and roll of old....for example Yorn, Adams have that guitar bar band sound that I love, for the first time in months my faith in rock and roll is completely restored, in fact I'm burning a new cd almost every other day because of all the new music out there worth listening to....Bob Dylans new album is also fucking awesome....a revelation...comes back as a blues singer...before he was known for mumbling now he growls...I love making a cd and having Summer Rain alongside Yorn's Strange Condition, Dylan's Summer Days and Adam's Touch, Feel and Lose....as far as the breakup of the new RATM, I didn't like RATM's sound (I hate rap metal) but I did respect them as a group, and Cornell's talent could've only made them greater (big Soundgarden fan)......too bad another great oppurtunity missed......I did read that the album will be released anyway, I guess as a modern day Temple of the Dog....even if there was a dearth of rock and roll (this time last year, fucking boy bands) I think it's great that we as a community of fans can always say "Thank God for U2"

[This message has been edited by EdgeVox (edited 03-31-2002).]

Originally posted by EdgeVox:
well if it's any consolation there are so many new groups coming that kick ass. I personally feel that groups such as Travis, Coldplay, The Strokes, Pete Yorn, Ryan Adams, John Mayer are all worthy successors to the rock and roll of old.... (

I totally agree with you! I'm happy to see bands/artists who write their own music and play their own instruments making a comeback.
I loved Rage and Soundgarden, so I too am sad that Cornell left.

------------------
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. --Jennifer Unlimited

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom