Some moron's thoughts on Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oktobergirl said:
I don't bother replying to people like this.
He's obviously an idiot.

Same here.

Wait, why did I just reply to your post then???? heheheheheheh, jk

Clearly...but something tells me there are a few lurkers out there with a trick or two up their sleeves for his inbox..

whoa...did I just say that?? Not that Im endorsing anything like that mind you...

:evil:

:wink: :wink:

:mac:

Yeah.. you always seem so concerned about what other people say about Bono.

Just ignore it :yawn: We all know he's a spectacular human being and a great musician, and so do millions of other people. Who cares what one idiot has to say. :shrug:

Scarletwine said:
Gabriel,

What would that worst fault be?:sexywink:

Pray do tell.

Unfortunately/fortunately for me, my worst fault also turns out to be my best asset depending on the occasion.

It's a mixed bag, I suppose..

:wink:

get your mind out of the...Im talking about my MOUTH!!! lol

:angel: / :mac:

you'd think that his neck would take up all the possible space aboard that boat...

Ahh -That would be why women like Bono best

The harmonica playing instrument :sexywink:

edited - Did I really say that?

Of course there are many more reasons. LMAO

Last edited:
OK this guy is a complete idoit, not for the fact that he doesnt like Bono but because he doesnt have his facts straight.

I would like to enlighten some though, ALOT of people hate Bono for the simple fact that he has attacted his name to causes. I know tons of people who think along the same thing, any artist that puts their name on a charity or cause are putting themselves up for abuse.

I wrote him today - here's what I said:

With regard to your commentary on Bono?how should I put this?you are an idiot.

Is it your viewpoint that only those who have nothing should ask others to give? Do you have any clue what Bono contributes financially to the causes he supports?

It?s obviously clear that you have no clue that Bono has been an activist for Africa since the early 80s, and an activist in Ireland since the late 70s. Your ignorance is made decisively clear in your comment:

?I take comfort in the fact that he has done absolutely nothing to contribute to the betterment of the situation in his homeland, Northern Ireland?

Nobody can change the world by themselves, yet you criticize someone who is trying to use his celebrity to make a difference ? to get people to listen. Bono?s effort is more than a calculated appearance at the PETA protest of a Victoria?s Secret Fashion show, or a pink ribbon on a lapel at the Grammy Awards. The FACT is, Bono is championing a cause that has not been deemed newsworthy by the US Press ? this is not a ?sexy? cause ? which is probably why it is still such a stifling problem ? nobody really knows the magnitude of it ? or cares?yet.

You may not like Bono?s music or politics ? that?s fine ? to each his own, but you are clearly ignorant of the fact that he is more than a mouthpiece. You don?t get access to Jeffrey Sachs without knowing what the hell you are talking about.

Does Bono have an ego? Yes. So do you and I. But Bono?s conscience is much more apparent than his ego. Unfortunately and ironically, it appears your ego is getting in the way of you seeing the facts.

SP
Seattle

+++

His response was:

SP

Thanks for your reply to my opinion.

So I wrote him again:

You're welcome.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if you didn't want replies, you shouldn't have asked for them.

SP

+++

Anyway, the guy is a tool. I just felt like telling him.

This is what I wrote, not that it would do anything but add fuel to the fire.

Dear Mr. Bartkiw,
Thank you for the article you wrote concerning celebrities and their charitable contributions and work. It was rather revealing in some ways and entertaining, to say the least, in others.
Though you are entitled to your opinion on the sincerity of Bono's actions, there are some factual errors that must be addressed.

Quote from your article -
"Interestingly, in their all-too-emotional pity for the poor, they somehow forget about the private jets, limousines, sprawling estates, and lavish lifestyle that they enjoy - which quickly negates any plea to hard-working Westerners for their money."

Obviously you aren't talking about Bono because Bono has always been the very first to state the fact that he is a spoilt rock star. He is using his celebrity to give a voice to those who have none. And I for one have been inspired by his selfless actions to do what I can to help as well. Nor has Bono ever asked any of us for money. What he does do is ask us to give our governments permission to use some of the money that WE PAY IN TAXES to help the people in Sub Saharan Africa get the medication that they can not afford due to the cost.

Quote from your article
"The aptly self-titled Bono, the singer for U2, is the newest member of this elite class of hypocrite. He is currently on the tail end of a tour of Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, and Ethiopia. Unbelievably, the Bush Administration has given a fragment of credibility to this numbskull by sending Paul O'Neil, the US Treasury Secretary, along for the ride - though, mostly to counter the uninformed liberal rhetoric that spews from the mouth of Bono"

Please show me where Bono has been hypocritical. Is it because he does have a "mansion on a hill", rides in limos, private jets, has loads of money, etc? That is bunk. And to call another person names because you don't like what he is doing makes you look very much like an ass.

Yet another quote -
"Apparently, the limited amount of talent needed to produce the rock and roll equivalent of Britney Spears music is precisely the same knowledge required to solve all of the world's problems. So what exactly is Bono's solution to the myriad problems on the primitive continent of Africa? Throw money at the problems."

You don't know much about Bono do you? For one thing, he and the rest of U2 are some of the most talented musicians around. Britney Spears shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Plus, unlike many celebrities, he did his research. Also, if you did know anything about Bono, you'd know that he is not asking people to "throw money at the problems" he's actually working with organizations that are helping to change things for the better by working to develop a better infrastructure, provide clean drinking water, and to try and get affordable HIV/AIDS medications to the people who need them.
And where do you get the idea that Africa is a "primitive continent"? If it is, it's due to the fact that it's been crippled by massive debts that the governments there can't pay off (which Bono, and others, have worked to get dropped down or even eliminated in some cases), trade that is virtually non existent, starvation, and deadly diseases such as the HIV/AIDS pandemic that in an of itself is killing thousands a day. But of course you probably didn't look into what Bono is actually doing did you?

Yet another one from you -
" in his homeland, Northern Ireland. This should be expected from an eccentric lunatic on a self-glorifying and selfish mission."

For one thing, Bono is NOT from Northern Ireland, he's from DUBLIN, which is in the Republic of Ireland. He has many times pointed out that he is "eccentric" but he is not a lunatic nor is he on a self-glorifying and selfish mission. See above.
Nor do you, I, or anyone else that is not close to Bono, know how much he may be contributing to various causes. Why? Because it is none of our business.
Thank you.

I get really irritated at ignorant people. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine. If you don't know what you're talking about SHUT UP!!!!
Sorry, that was for the guy that authored that article.
Thanks, Gabriel, for posting it by the way

IWasBored said:

it's his lack of talent taking up all that space.

It just goes to show you that you can really be driven to do and make good music at one point in time (Black Flag), and then get older and suck it up in a major way (Rollins Band).

I would mention a lot of other famous and popular musicians from the '60's and '70's who also show this, but I know it will cause controversy. It's just sad that when a lot of musicians get older, they get lazier and their drive to make something great just turns into a drive to make something average to make some money, or get them out on the road.

This is one of the reasons why I've really been so impressed with U2 the last few years. Think of how old they are. Think of how long they've been around. Are there really any other bands out there who still have as much influence today who've been making music for over 20 years? My answer is no. Sure, there are some groups still making pretty good music who've been around as long as U2, but none of their albums are as impressinve and as relevant as U2's recent work. Never give up, never stop, never quit. Walk on.

Any writer/editorialist or what ever, knows, that in order to have any creditability you have to check out :)bono:) sources, articles and anything that can back up what is written. Since he obviously didn't do this, he has zero creditability..therefore, anything he has to say is pure rubbish.. Think I'll go back and tell :rant: him this very thing. :shame:

Last edited:
Actually, I had this in mind to write him:

Mr Bartkiw,

I'd like to respond to your article on Bono, singer of the band U2. .
I'd like to go from paragraph to paragraph, and I'll offer counterarguments for your claims.
The first article is so broadly and widely written it could apply to any artist. (although I think that using words like "some level of fame" or "average celebrity" hardly apply to someone like U2 or Bono.) Let me tell you about the various charity things/causes the band has done over the years:
- after Live aid, Bono and his wife went to Ethiopia to see for themselves and to help
- in 1987, they recorded the song "Baby please come home" for the Very special Christmas series (a charity for the mentally or phisically handicapped people)
- in 1990 they recorded "Night and day" for the Red, Hot and Rio compilation (AIDS charity)
-the proceeds of their single "One" went to AIDS charity
- Bono and Edge performed at Pavarotti's annual Modena charity concert
- the proceeds of the song The sweetest thing went to a Chernobyl charity (led by Bono's wife)
- they performed on one of the Free Tibet concerts
- members of the band appeared on a charity edition of stamps in Ireland
- Bono's work in Drop the Debt contributed to get a third of that debt canceled, as far as I know. Bono spoke about that in UN.
- they also used satellite images of Sarajevo and brought the "mothers of the dissapeared" on stage during their tours (not a part of the list necessarily, but it just shows how much they care)
- band has supported Amnesty internationl and Greenpeace for years
- band has protested against the nuclear plant in Sellafield
As for paragraph two, we all know celebrities are rich people. It's quite unfair to compare them to working people. Personally I think it's sad that, of all people, a rock star has to talk about something which all the world governments (especially the ones from the richest countries) should do more about. Besides, music (rock) has always been connected to politics and social topics - that's nothing new. Celebrities have a voice - how they choose to use it is up to them. If it's for a good cause, more power to them.
Third paragraph is so insulting it shouldn't deserve an answer. I will just say that Bono was given his nickname by his friends, he didn't invent it himself and that he has been involved in good causes for years, he didn't jump on the band wagon.
More insults in paragraph four- I won't even venture to the Britney Spears comparison - Bono has never claimed he knows the solutions - he is only the figure to promote the organisations dealing with issues he believes in. Yes, money can help.
Do you have any proof Bono doesn't donate money to charity? Isn't it better to support programs and organisations that will help for years?
Bono has "done his homework", Treasure secretary Paul O'Neill admitted he was impressed with his knowledge of the situation. I'd dare say he knows more about it than you or me.
As for Northern Ireland - he's a musician, not a politician. He has always supported peace in the region.
Lastly, I don't see how your opinion of Bono's music (like any other kind of art, it should be and IS open to interpretations), his sunglasses or his apparent egoism have anything to do with the issue you talk about in your article. I also fail to understand the need for insults regarding him personally.

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:
Any writer/editorialist or what ever, knows, that in order to have any creditability you have to check out :)bono:) sources, articles and anything that can back up what is written. Since he obviously didn't do this, he has zero creditability..therefore, anything he has to say is pure rubbish.. Think I'll go back and tell :rant: him this very thing. :shame:

Absolutely! This guy obviously hasn't done ANY research, or else he would know Bono is from Dublin, not Northern Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom