Some moron's thoughts on Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sometimes i wonder if people who don't bother to check facts don't bother to check things like locations of cities either

this guy could easily think dublin's in northern ireland, he seems stupid enough

I actually got a reply today to the email I sent the man, see page 2 for the email I sent. In it i also informed him as to the location of Dublin. I'll post the reply once I've replied to the reply, if that made any sense. LOL

Yeah I guess its futile to bother with people like this, but that didn't stop me from sending the bastard an email.
Here it is...

I recently stumbled across your article entitled "Bono Lives Up To His Name" and felt compelled to comment on it. Firstly, I'll start with your statement that, "The fact is that Africans largely reject democracy and embrace barbarism and despotism. Therefore, the continent can produce little, in terms of goods and services that can compete in the world market."
Truth be told, Mr. Bartkiw, if you would look beyond your own ethnocentric prejudices, you'd realise that unfair trade is the reason why Africa is unable to compete in the global economy. Not to mention the fact that people dying of AIDS make a very poor workforce. The "dysfunctional relationship" that Bono mentioned is rooted in the system of colonialism and later in apartheid. Today, Structural Adjutment Programs put in place by the IMF and World Bank do more to lower the standard of living than to build infrastructure and strengthen economies. Africa is also recieving record low prices for their exports, they are inadequately represenented in the WTO and they are burdened by a tremendous ammount of debt -for every $1 the West sends in aid, $9 comes back in debt service. On top of this is the AIDS emergency, which 6,500 Africans die of every day, for want of medicine that costs as little as $1 a day.
I suggest you do a bit of research before you dismiss the ideas of fair trade, debt relief and AIDS relief simply because Bono is involved with them. It might be unusual to see a rock star campaiging for the poorest continent on earth, but what is more unusual is that (almost) no one else is.
If you've got time, check out www.datadata.org

~Maya~

Well, here's the reply he sent me. If you want to see my reply back, due to length, just ask.

Your letter was the first somewhat cordial letter that I've recieved from those obsessed with the oddly-self-titled-singular-word-eccentric that we know as "Bono".

Continuing...
> Dear Mr. Bartkiw,
> Thank you for the article you wrote concerning celebrities and their charitable contributions and work. It was rather revealing in some ways and entertaining, to say the least, in others. Though you are entitled to your opinion on the sincerity of Bono's actions,

- I don't doubt that he is "sincere". However, he is misguided and hypocritical - not to mention somewhat demented.

> Quote from your article -
> "Interestingly, in their all-too-emotional pity for the poor, they somehow forget about the private jets, limousines, sprawling estates, and lavish lifestyle that they enjoy - which quickly negates any plea to hard-working Westerners for their money."
>
> Obviously you aren't talking about Bono because Bono has always been the very first to state the fact that he is a spoilt rock star.

- Using your logic, anyone who first admits that they are a hypocrite, is therefore not a hypocrite. This reasoning seems somewhat circular, does it not?

> He is using his celebrity to give a voice to those who have none. And I for one have been inspired by his selfless actions to do what I can to help as well.

- To characterize his actions as "selfless" is nothing short of pure naivity. Ask yourself this, are there any tangible benefits that go with Bono's grand escapades? Maybe applause from fans like yourself? Maybe media coverage? Warm and fuzzy feeling? Even a nobel prize?
I'm not saying that these benefits of charitable work are not, at times, deserving. I'm only pointing out that "selfless" does not fit.

> Nor has Bono ever asked any of us directly for money.

- Huh? See below

> What he does do is ask us to give our governments permission to use some of the money that WE PAY IN TAXES to help the people in Sub-Saharan Africa get the medication that they can not afford due to the cost.

- So OUR MONEY (that we pay in taxes) is not OUR MONEY Hmmmm. Not to be too insulting, but I'm not sure that we speak the same language. In order to have a meaningful discussion, or even disagreement - we need to first agree that our money is our money.

> Quote from your article
> "The aptly self-titled Bono, the singer for U2, is the newest member of this elite class of hypocrite. He is currently on the tail end of a tour of Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, and Ethiopia. Unbelievably, the Bush Administration has given a fragment of credibility to this numbskull by sending Paul O'Neil, the US Treasury Secretary, along for the ride - though, mostly to counter the uninformed liberal rhetoric that spews from the mouth of Bono"

> Please show me where Bono has been hypocritical. Is it because he does have a "mansion on a hill", ride in limos, private jets, money, etc?

- Anyone who lives the lifestyle he does and feigns to act like he cares about the third world is, very simply, a hypocrite. I cannot fathom how he could sit in his mansion(s) preaching to those of us who struggle on a daily basis.

> That is bunk. And to call another person names because you don't like what he is doing makes you look very much like an ass.

- Maybe so. This point is probably valid. My purpose is to provoke thought and open dialogue. Many have commented that my techniques are unnecessarily mean. So be it. I'm just trying to have some fun, in this case, commenting on someone who openly judges me and my country - from the perspective of a hypocrite.

> Yet another quote -
> "Apparently, the limited amount of talent needed to produce the rock and roll equivalent of Britney Spears music is precisely the same knowledge required to solve all of the world's problems. So what exactly is Bono's solution to the myriad problems on the primitive continent of Africa? Throw money at the problems."
> Also, if you did know anything about Bono, you'd know that he is not asking people to "throw money at the problems"

- Read the quote again. He's calling for "billions". Do you think he's speaking of clams or dollar?

> he's actually working with organizations that are helping to change things for the better by working to develop a better infrastructure,

Money.

> provide clean drinking water,

Money.

> and to try and get affordable HIV/AIDS medications

Money.

- Why don't you give your money, and he can give his - to whatever causes you wish. I have to pay for the care of sick relatives and the raising of my own children. My charity will be local, and based mostly on work, not money.

> If it is primitive, it's due to the fact that it's been crippled by massive debts that the governments there can't pay off, trade that is virtually non existent, starvation and deadly diseases such as the HIV/AIDS pandemic that in itself is killing thousands a day.

> He has many times pointed out that he is "eccentric" but he is not a lunatic nor is he on a self-glorifying and selfish mission. See above.

- That he admits that he is eccentric goes a long way toward proving that I'm right.

> Nor do you, I, or anyone else that is not close to Bono, know how much he may be contributing to various causes. Why? Because it is none of our business.
> Thank you.
>

- The media makes it my business. And the fact that Bono is calling for MY MONEY to help HIS CAUSE, when HE IS RICH and LIVES AN OPPULANT LIFESTYLE, also makes it my business.

I sent that reply I posted on page 2, and I added

-the New day duet with Wyclef Jean,
-the Perfect day cover for charity and
-the 15 billion dollars Congress promised to fight AIDS. (I added that is a whole lot more money than Bono could ever give out on his own)

I wonder what he'll reply.

Saracene said:
Hmm. First he says that he doesn't doubt Bono's sincerity, then accuses him of feigning to act like he cares about third world. He needs to make up his mind.

Well, when I replied to his reply I just did what he did and went right down the line, quoting then answering each of his comments as needed. It became quite long but I figure that he stated at one point he was trying to get a "discussion" going so I was a willing participant. :shrug: Now, I'm just waiting to see what he says in return.

U2luv said:
Nice job Maya. Wonder what sort of reply you'll get. The one I got was quite long. My reply back was even longer LOL

thanks u2luv. i haven't gotten a reply, i suppose the guy has gotten tired of reading angry emails from ardent u2 fans...

I traded 5 or 6 emails with this goon.

His basic problems are;

1. He thinks Bono is a hypocrite
2. He disagrees with how the African problem should be solved

His logic is totally flawed with respect to #1. Apparently, rich people can't lobby for any causes because it inevitably means they will ask people who are not as rich as themselves to give money. So I guess only poor people can act as spokespeople for the poor. Good luck with that fundraising model, Dean.

With respect to #2, everyone is entitled to their opinion - but I seriously think Dean doesn't even understand what Bono is trying to do. He's got an overly-simplistic view of what Bono and others are trying to achieve. He thinks this effort is simply trying to throw money at the Africa problem and, in essence, put Africans on welfare.

He contends that our government shouldn't be allowed to use OUR (his emphasis) tax $$$ for purposes we don't choose. He'd rather spend HIS money on HIS charities.

However, I have a feeling Dean would rip anyone who challenged the US Government's use of OUR tax dollars for military purposes - even if those people disagreed with the military policy. Speaking of hypocrite...

The guy is a tool. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
One Tree Still said:
I traded 5 or 6 emails with this goon.

His basic problems are;

1. He thinks Bono is a hypocrite
2. He disagrees with how the African problem should be solved

His logic is totally flawed with respect to #1. Apparently, rich people can't lobby for any causes because it inevitably means they will ask people who are not as rich as themselves to give money. So I guess only poor people can act as spokespeople for the poor. Good luck with that fundraising model, Dean.

With respect to #2, everyone is entitled to their opinion - but I seriously think Dean doesn't even understand what Bono is trying to do. He's got an overly-simplistic view of what Bono and others are trying to achieve. He thinks this effort is simply trying to throw money at the Africa problem and, in essence, put Africans on welfare.

He contends that our government shouldn't be allowed to use OUR (his emphasis) tax $$$ for purposes we don't choose. He'd rather spend HIS money on HIS charities.

However, I have a feeling Dean would rip anyone who challenged the US Government's use of OUR tax dollars for military purposes - even if those people disagreed with the military policy. Speaking of hypocrite...

The guy is a tool. Plain and simple.

Yeah, I got the same thing out of the replies I got from him. I agree, he's a tool alright.

I already devoted more time to reading than article than it deserves.

What a dimwit.

This guy sounds just like "Bonoriffic" from Wireland.

People like this aren't worth your time, I feel kinda bad that I even posted it up in the first place..

I think Bono operates under the (true) Christian principle of letting your giving be in private, for the money he does sink into these things.

I'd bet if it were all revealed and tallied up one day it would be worth millions.

Like what are these types expecting, that he come out and say 'hey I gave n% of my earnings last year to these worthwhile causes, now you all do the same'?

The fact that this moron decries the government spending his money on relief is just sickening, given that the US spends over a billion dollars PER DAY on military spending.

Back
Top Bottom