SOI Promotional Apearances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He seemed to hit all the notes, and wasn't out of key, so....

What's this about Bono struggling?

Nothing. Someone mentioned something about Bono and everybody jumped all over the poster, as if Bono can never do no wrong and walks on water in his spare time.

I like the band, really I do. But ppl worshipping him like a god is a little hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this forum there's this myth that a song is not finished: if it doesn't have a sing along chorus, if it doesn't have enough appeal for radio airplay, if it doesn't have Bono's cliché'd lyrics, and if it doesn't have an ABABCB structure.
Is that why "Every Breaking Wave" was included in NLOTH's tracklist and excluded in the "last minute" from it?
To me, not only the "hey hey now" do not bother me as I think that the "I don't know if I'm that strong, etc..." and the lack of a proper radio-airplay-typical-chorus is waaaaay better than some of Bono's cheesiest lyrics. I only don't feel ashamed for Bono for writing lyrics such as «Baby every dog on the street knows that we're in love with defeat» (in fact, the whole chorus is painful) because he's done even worse. In fact, I think that folks here do not complain about it and uncritically accept it as a lyrical masterpiece because Bono has set the standard so low - specially over the past few years (let's not forget the averageness of "Mercy" original chorus transformed into the grievous «You wanna kill me and I wanna die/We were meant for each other, you and I/Like time in a bed of rust/Like the rhyme of love and lust»).

Then stop listening to the fucking song and move on.

Perfromances magnifiques

Yes Bono had trouble on EBW last but I really didn't care since I was blown away by the first. And Miracle was as good as at gets as far as acoustic goes. And Bono's eyes looked so weak...like a sick kitten. Does anyone know what exactly is the trouble with his eyes?

Perfromances magnifiques

Yes Bono had trouble on EBW last but I really didn't care since I was blown away by the first. And Miracle was as good as at gets as far as acoustic goes. And Bono's eyes looked so weak...like a sick kitten. Does anyone know what exactly is the trouble with his eyes?

Some condition where bright light bothers his eyes. This the reason for the shades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weak kitten remark was layman and off the cuff...my next response was after I thought about it. There?

Right :) Nevertheless on Achtung baby, Zoo tv and Pop he discovered shouting is not the only possibility to be convincing. Now, when he got his voice back from the womb as he sings he is trying too hard again and it sounds forced.

He's not shouting, he's singing. If his current style isn't your cup of tea, you can always go back to listening to the albums you mentioned, where you liked his voice better. Bono's always been over the top, and even on the albums you mentioned, it's often not his voice, but how his voice is mixed.. Think 'la la la la la la la' in Until the End of the World.. That gives his approach a more subdued feel, if that's how to put it. But he's always belted and wailed his way through music.

Also consider that for a good deal of time, his voice was physically shot.. He needed to sing differently to get his voice around certain songs. So he's well into his 50's, singing amazingly, clearly, and in control, and some people still want criticize his style in comparison to their version of the 'good old days'. It amazes me.

Sent from my fingertips.

Perfromances magnifiques

The first time I watched the Raitv EBW video I thought Bono poured so much into the performance, that it had brought him to the brink of tears afterwards.
Like he lost himself in the performance.
He looks moved to me.
But of course, it could also be that the bright studio lights bothered him...:shrug:

Also consider that for a good deal of time, his voice was physically shot.. He needed to sing differently to get his voice around certain songs. So he's well into his 50's, singing amazingly, clearly, and in control, and some people still want criticize his style in comparison to their version of the 'good old days'. It amazes me.

Sent from my fingertips.

Yep, that is exactly the point. He can sing these songs now with his current ability and experience. And he would be amazing.
What is upsetting, insted he chose to sing it in very high key and therefore he struggles through the song and he keeps destroying his voice.

Someone over at the @U2 forum says the whole band is in Paris today. Some fans met Adam. So it looks good for a whole band performance for Canal +. I hope they play different songs for every occasion during this promo tour.

Does anyone know when the show is supposed to start tonight?

Someone over at the @U2 forum says the whole band is in Paris today. Some fans met Adam. So it looks good for a whole band performance for Canal +. I hope they play different songs for every occasion during this promo tour.

Does anyone know when the show is supposed to start tonight?

That makes sense given that Adam said the whole band has been rehearsing in France. According to wikipedia the show airs at 7pm Paris time and is 2 hrs long. So 1pm EST.

I don't know if we'll have a stream or not...hopefully someone with a good connection will tell us when the band is on if we do. My mobile tends to cut out live streams so I'm going to wait and attempt to connect just for the performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

That makes sense given that Adam said the whole band has been rehearsing in France. According to wikipedia the show airs at 7pm Paris time and is 2 hrs long. So 1pm EST.

I don't know if we'll have a stream or not...hopefully someone with a good connection will tell us when the band is on if we do. My mobile tends to cut out live streams so I'm going to wait and attempt to connect just for the performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Awesome - great timing for me. It is 4am my time. I'll wake up and it should be up on youtube/u2start.

Perfromances magnifiques

It's an unfortunate syndrome that causes one to age poorly. I believe the scientific term is "being Irish."

AH! Great news. :applaud: next live performance is tonight in Paris. Vive le France and french fries!

This is about one hour time difference from where I am living.
I wonder for how long they are going to play if that French show is 2 hours long?!
Wow, a two hour show!
This is going to be interesting - The whole band playing together.

Larry's keeping his youth conserved by not moving his face. He doesn't smile to avoid getting wrinkles. I'm sure he doesn't even close his eyes when sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom