SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't listened to the strings version of Lights of Home yet because I don't want to... I love the album version.

The call back to Iris here... It struck me on the last listen. It's a song about Bono almost dying, and it calls back to a song about Bono's mom dying, but in a more joyous tone with the she lyric.

Just subtle touch that the average Joe won't pick up on, but it fucking floored me when i realized it.

I haven't listened to the strings version of Lights of Home yet because I don't want to... I love the album version.

The call back to Iris here... It struck me on the last listen. It's a song about Bono almost dying, and it calls back to a song about Bono's mom dying, but in a more joyous tone with the she lyric.

Just subtle touch that the average Joe won't pick up on, but it fucking floored me when i realized it.

I love the album version, too. But seriously, listen to the string version. Gives it a different, more epic feel. Not necessarily better, but different, and awesome

Yeah, I love Lights of Home. You’ve got this Zeppelin inspired Haim riff as the initial back bone, a U2 sounding chorus, and then out of nowhere this epic Pink Floyd-esque outro. It’s fucking awesome, finishing off the dynamic 1 2 punch of the first two tracks.

I truly don’t miss it at all. I knew every single time listening to the live version that there was a better studio version just waiting. I felt every live performance felt somewhat weak and uneven.
The studio version is magnificent with absolutely perfect modern , 80’s tinged synths. Just what I was hoping for. Went fro a 7 to a 9 for me.

Quite something for U2 to release a better album version than live. Pleased to read your thoughts about it.

I'm glad I brought up Little Things earlier on in the week because no reviewer had mentioned it in any of the articles I'd read. Thankfully this Saul fella on twitter responded to mine and others concerns and confirmed it to be the superb song on record it seems to be.

Must wait till Friday to hear it though. Must resist the strong temptation!

My biggest complaint

The songs are so short. Edge does have some nice rhythm bits and i think if the songs were longer he could have stood out more

Quite something for U2 to release a better album version than live. Pleased to read your thoughts about it.

I'm glad I brought up Little Things earlier on in the week because no reviewer had mentioned it in any of the articles I'd read. Thankfully this Saul fella on twitter responded to mine and others concerns and confirmed it to be the superb song on record it seems to be.

Must wait till Friday to hear it though. Must resist the strong temptation!

You wondered about atmosphere before. Once you’re 3 seconds into the first song, that fear will be gone.

It drifts out a bit during the Best Thing through American Soul section, but then it’s like you dive into a whole new area that doesn’t let up. A beautiful ride from pop brilliance to deeper, more wrenching and beautiful places.
Good for you for waiting. You will have a great ride.

My biggest complaint

The songs are so short. Edge does have some nice rhythm bits and i think if the songs were longer he could have stood out more

I have to admit, I’m a short song fan. I think you should be able to get the job done in around 4 minutes or less, after that it just can be unnecessary. Yes some songs are so good, I happily make an exception.
That said. I keep thinking about what Larry said back during POP. He said, instead of just calling an album POP, why don’t we just do a pop album?

Here you can hear them crafting these great songs with the simple and stripped back production in mind. I believe Edge said - nothing extraneous.
And I think it worked.

You wondered about atmosphere before. Once you’re 3 seconds into the first song, that fear will be gone.

It drifts out a bit during the Best Thing through American Soul section, but then it’s like you dive into a whole new area that doesn’t let up. A beautiful ride from pop brilliance to deeper, more wrenching and beautiful places.
Good for you for waiting. You will have a great ride.

Sounds great. Thank you for the response. And keep the brilliant posting up. Greatly enjoyed reading yours and so many others review of this album.

Ok anyone want to take a stab at which of the songs were affected by the current events / the orange one?

Pretty sure Blackout American Soul and Get Out are the most obvious ones.

Any others?

And anyone have any opinion on what those songs could have been with their original themes..or - shudder the thought - what songs might have been left off to make way for these?

The vocals are too buried in the Strings version of Lights of Home for it to really land the knockout on me. But I dig the song.

Red Flag Day and This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now could've made a nice pairing on a single in some alternate reality.

I truly don’t miss it at all. I knew every single time listening to the live version that there was a better studio version just waiting. I felt every live performance felt somewhat weak and uneven.
The studio version is magnificent with absolutely perfect modern , 80’s tinged synths. Just what I was hoping for. Went fro a 7 to a 9 for me.

Same here - 7-9, maybe 10. Ditching the piano for tangled guitars and synths was the right move. Having the focus be on the piano chords made the song seem boring. Edge is fantastic on this song.

I'm going to be that guy: awful edit at 2:08 in Summer of Love shouldn't have escaped the mixing process.

Ok anyone want to take a stab at which of the songs were affected by the current events / the orange one?

Any others?

And anyone have any opinion on what those songs could have been with their original themes..or - shudder the thought - what songs might have been left off to make way for these?
I think the Trump delay was only a cover for whatever was going on with Bono, and I think the political angles to Get Out and Blackout are overblown. They're very personal songs to me.

American Soul on the other hand is clearly a political song, but Bono's been going on about America being an idea for so long it was a matter of time until he turned it into a song. Plus it's at least as old as Kendrick's album recording process, so likely predates the delay

Looks like I’m gonna have 16 tracks on my Innocence and Experience mix. 7 from Innocence and 9 from Experience.
Can’t wait to put it all together!!!

Any others?

Those are the only ones that I can pick out and only because it comes across so hamfistedly. I totally believe those songs were always going to be on there with different verses, but then they changed them to to politicking thing. It honestly sticks out like a sore thumb in all of them as they start out as something totally different and then you get to that 2nd verse and it veers way into left field lyrically.

Well they kind of strike me as occupying a similar “slot” if you will, on their respective albums. I’d give them an almost identical rating, also.

Wow, for me, Reach is about a 6.5 and Red Flag Day is about a 9.5.
Never got Reach’s appeal. But glad so many of you love it.

It's too early for me to call this another masterpiece, but it's just so beautiful. I didn't think they had it in them anymore, but they still got it.

Back
Top Bottom