SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those lurking on here who have heard it how much of that riff do they use throughout the song? Is it an intro to something different or is it used throughout the verses?

Anyone else hear traces of “get on your boots” in that riff at all by the way?

Last edited:
are people seriously still this clueless about sampling in 2017?
This is not sampling. This is taking a riff from another song and playing it with their own guitars.

In music, sampling is the act of taking a portion, or sample, of one sound recording and reusing it as an instrument or a sound recording in a different song or piece. (wiki)

This is not sampling. This is taking a riff from another song and playing it with their own guitars.

In music, sampling is the act of taking a portion, or sample, of one sound recording and reusing it as an instrument or a sound recording in a different song or piece. (wiki)

It’s only a 5 second clip lol. How can you tell if it’s maybe used on a small part of the song such as the intro or the entire song?? Why not wait to hear the full song before coming up with such a conclusion. Let’s wait and see, Lee

It’s only a 5 second clip lol. How can you tell if it’s maybe used on a small part of the song such as the intro or the entire song?? Why not wait to hear the full song before coming up with such a conclusion. Let’s wait and see, Lee

This!

Wow - I guess after 17 years i should really stopped being surprised by the reactions of things here. :doh:

6 second clip. We saw pictures of the band working with Haim in the studio. They talked about it in interviews. Talked about throwing away a lot of the old structure and being free to use samples to open into new directions. Haim sings on the chorus!!! (don't freak out that it isn't just Bono or Edge!!) :|

1 - Haim is awesome. 2 - Song 5 is awesome. 3 - I like the idea of the band using new directions like this. They have paired up with so many great artists in their history. This is a new cool way to expand their sound.
4. It sounds pretty fucking sick.

nuff said.

Last edited:
U2 uses sample on Do You Feel Loved: this song rocks!!!!! POP life bitches!

U2 samples themselves on volcano: Glastonbury was sooo much better than this unimaginative crap.

U2 samples Volcano on AS: volcano was soooo much better than this unimaginative crap

U2 used sample on Lights of Home: lazy unimaginative crap

U2 write a cool pop tune in Get out of Your Own Way: chorus sounds like a dog licking itself

U2 writes a cool alternative AB style song in The Blackout: he rhymed names!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck this tune, June.

Yeah I mean.

First off, Haim appear on the song.
Secondly, we’ve known about the sample for awhile.
Third, Do You Feel Loved’s riff is sampled...like cosmo said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So what if it’s sampled? I’m more concerned that it hints at another generic rock track like AS.

So what if it’s sampled? I’m more concerned that it hints at another generic rock track like AS.

Oh no, a guitar on a U2 track... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't heard the Haim sample/"taking"/riff yet myself...

For those lurking on here who have heard it how much of that riff do they use throughout the song? Is it an intro to something different or is it used throughout the verses?

Anyone else hear traces of “get on your boots” in that riff at all by the way?

A lot. Throughout the verses.
With awesome drums.

Meh, I agree with Bluedater that it is concerning that they would snippet the riff that isn't their own work, when they have an entire album of their own work that they could have snippeted instead.

Yes we've known for a while, but why choose this one to snippet? Baffling to me.

It's not "bitching for the sake of bitching". It's a valid point IMO.

U2 uses sample on Do You Feel Loved: this song rocks!!!!! POP life bitches!

U2 samples themselves on volcano: Glastonbury was sooo much better than this unimaginative crap.

U2 samples Volcano on AS: volcano was soooo much better than this unimaginative crap

U2 used sample on Lights of Home: lazy unimaginative crap

U2 write a cool pop tune in Get out of Your Own Way: chorus sounds like a dog licking itself

U2 writes a cool alternative AB style song in The Blackout: he rhymed names!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck this tune, June.

Hey man, it's COOL to hate everything!!

Meh, I agree with Bluedater that it is concerning that they would snippet the riff that isn't their own work, when they have an entire album of their own work that they could have snippeted instead.

Yes we've known for a while, but why choose this one to snippet? Baffling to me.

It's not "bitching for the sake of bitching". It's a valid point IMO.

You should be concerned; all the reviews are coming in bad, we haven’t heard any of the songs, and they released a 5 second clip of someone else’s work to tease the entire album.

The album is going to suck, I wouldn’t even bother buying it... or even stealing it for that matter.

Honestly. If the whole Haim thing was never mentioned, how many of us would have said on December 1st "Oh my gosh, they ripped off Haim!"

Honestly. If the whole Haim thing was never mentioned, how many of us would have said on December 1st "Oh my gosh, they ripped off Haim!"

Well I’m pretty sure fans of Haim would recognize the riff, soooo I’m gonna say quite a bit. But since they show up on the track no one with intelligence would say “rip off”.

I think recreating a guitar part with permission from the original band is BALLSY for a band of the magnitude as U2. It also helps than the riff itself is sick.

Honestly, this is the same ridiculous discussion ad infinitum.

Every musician uses SOMETHING for inspiration, it’s all a question of degrees, and if that riff inspired a great song, and they then did the right thing by engaging the writers, what the fuck is the problem?

Last edited:
Honestly, this is the same ridiculous discussion as infinitum.

Every musician uses SOMETHING for inspiration, it’s all a question of degrees, and if that riff inspired a great song, and they then did the right thing by engaging the writers, what the fuck is the problem?

Because some people want to believe their favourite artists are uncompromised geniuses who work in a pure vacuum of inspiration and have never been sullied by the music of another.

It's cool that U2 asked & gave credit to HAIM. Most bands would have just ripped it off. It might be dumb, but I like that my favorite band are also decent guys.

Oh no, a guitar on a U2 track... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't heard the Haim sample/"taking"/riff yet myself...

Way to mischaracterize the arguments about people who complain about Edge's relience on generic rock riffs

Way to mischaracterize the arguments about people who complain about Edge's relience on generic rock riffs

Jack White deserves blame. Whether Edge took a liking to the holistic garage rock tone or actually started using White’s vintage gear or maybe both, he planted the seed that ultimately compromised the band’s sound. It works for some bands. It doesn’t for U2.

Jack White deserves blame. Whether Edge took a liking to the holistic garage rock tone or actually started using White’s vintage gear or maybe both, he planted the seed that ultimately compromised the band’s sound. It works for some bands. It doesn’t for U2.

The Edge has been using garage rock tone since at least How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (I’d even say the main riffs from Discotheque and Last Night On Earth are garage rock tones). Unless you’re saying some other, non-It Might Get Loud Jack White/The Edge meeting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom