SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What strikes me is that I really don't think there's a clunker in the bunch. On pretty much every U2 album there are at least 2-3 songs I'm just not into at all. Not this one. Maybe American Soul? Other than that, everything is good to great to classic.

The late album stuff is fantastic (Landlady, Blackout, Love is Bigger). Rare for a U2 album!

I'm waiting till Friday, but is the second half being stronger similar to SOI???

Ok I caved and listened to more of it. Summer of Love and Red Flag Day are just as good as I’d hoped for. Not only does Red Flag kick ass, but I simply love the concept of the song. I can actually hear just a little bit of War in it, but it’s War 2017 style. But my early take is that Love is Bigger is the absolute masterpiece here! Wow. It has to be a single doesn’t it?!

Like others have said, who could have thought they had something this good still in them?

Just ended first listen. Two words : FUCKING AWESOME !!! I am amazed that any band with 60 year old members can produce such an modern sounding brilliant album with maintaining their uniqueness. But U2 proved that they can and that's why they are my all-time favourite.

Pleasantly surprised. Way too early to rank the album and the songs though. All I can say is that's it's very good.

I'm waiting till Friday, but is the second half being stronger similar to SOI???

In some ways but this has the feel of AB in terms of an album that flows from beginning to end. For me it is U2 with a fresh new sound.

In some ways but this has the feel of AB in terms of an album that flows from beginning to end. For me it is U2 with a fresh new sound.

When the singles are among the least interesting songs on the album, you know you're in rarefied album company. The only question is are the best here amongst the best there? I'm wagering Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, and Little Things will be played for a long while after the dust settles. It's deeper cuts that fascinate here: Showman, Landlady, Love is All We have Left. And I already felt Get Out of Your Own Way and Blackout were standout tracks. As you can see, the majority of the album is of sterling caliber. I'm only unsure of the place of one track, which is the one most people are raving about, Love is Bigger than Anything in It's Way. Whether that's due to the album quality or what, I'm not sure. But for me, it sounds like latter day Coldplay. And I much prefer the 70's sun kissed feel of the album.

Does anyone else think that they should've gone with another mix of The Best Thing? Perhaps the acoustic version. This one jars when listening to the album from start to finish.

I haven't got the chance to hear the album more than 1 listen. On basis of that, the standout tracks to my ears ( in no particular order )

Lights of Home
Little Things
Summer of Love
Landlady
Blackout
Love is Bigger

This is for now. More after further listens. But one thing is as universal as the Sun rising from the east........ SOE is in the top 5 region of U2 discography.

Does anyone else think that they should've gone with another mix of The Best Thing? Perhaps the acoustic version. This one jars when listening to the album from start to finish.

It does stick out a bit...I think the production may contribute to that. They did record the album in multiple studios.

Back
Top Bottom