SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster!!

Watching the interview from Sao Paolo, I thought the most interesting tidbit was when Bono said "Noel Gallagher said 'I get it! Songs of Innocence is about Experience, and Songs of Experience is about Innocence. '"

Interesting thought, SOI is the more serious, somber, reflective batch of songs, while SOE is being labeled as more pop-oriented, defiantly joyful, uplifting and fresh! Kinda flips the concept on its head for me!

Then Bono states" sometimes you can find Innocence again at the back end of Experience ". Like writing as if you're dead maybe??

Interesting!

going through the new songs and I'm really enjoying The Best Thing - this is a pleasant change! I hope it sticks.

What is going on with you? Are you okay? Did Bono and Larry show up at your Home and threaten you?

This is the second positive post i have read from you in the past 5 min about SOE.........

I think the speculation is that Civilisation became Blackout.

Tightrope, along with Instrument Flying, Civilisation, The Morning After Innocence, and Where The Shadows Fall, were all mentioned in 2015. They've not been mentioned by title since

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Be interesting to eventually find out what became of each track, whether it morphed into something else, had parts taken from or being completely discarded.

What is going on with you? Are you okay? Did Bono and Larry show up at your Home and threaten you?

This is the second positive post i have read from you in the past 5 min about SOE.........

:D

I'm more excited about this album than I was earlier this year. The songs have been solid and like any new set of songs, you need to spend some time with them.

GOOYOW is a great pop song....in U2 style
AS...rockin!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the songs...Red Flag Day being the one I'm most excited about...:hyper:

I still can't wait for 'Summer of Love' and 'Book of Your Heart'. I also have a sneaking suspicion that 'Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way' will surprise a lot of people after a few listens. Probably the biggest grower, from what I can make out. Bring on that "chorus of voices"!!

Every song we’ve heard so far, except GOOYOW, I have thought “oh, that’s a bit disappointing”, only to grow to really like it after repeat listens. I feel like it takes a bit of work to ‘get’ these songs.

With GOOYOW, I was instantly drawn to it, and have since waned a bit in my like for it. It’s like drinking a milkshake - seems like a great idea at the start, but after finishing, I’m left with milk bloat and farts.

Great first post and observation! I’ve missed some of the buzz for this release and this was one of those. This definitely gets me more excited for the album. I was a little puzzled by the lighter sounds so far but I get it after that explanation.

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster!!

Watching the interview from Sao Paolo, I thought the most interesting tidbit was when Bono said "Noel Gallagher said 'I get it! Songs of Innocence is about Experience, and Songs of Experience is about Innocence. '"

Interesting thought, SOI is the more serious, somber, reflective batch of songs, while SOE is being labeled as more pop-oriented, defiantly joyful, uplifting and fresh! Kinda flips the concept on its head for me!

Then Bono states" sometimes you can find Innocence again at the back end of Experience ". Like writing as if you're dead maybe??

Interesting!

Every song we’ve heard so far, except GOOYOW, I have thought “oh, that’s a bit disappointing”, only to grow to really like it after repeat listens. I feel like it takes a bit of work to ‘get’ these songs.

With GOOYOW, I was instantly drawn to it, and have since waned a bit in my like for it. It’s like drinking a milkshake - seems like a great idea at the start, but after finishing, I’m left with milk bloat and farts.

The Little Farts That Give The Milk Bloat Away or TLFTGTMBA

Nice to see people on this thread are in a relatively good mood. Everyone in other threads and social media and wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth. They are so sad, Chad.

Why no-one has drawn a Bono/Boon, David comparison is beyond me. You should all be ashamed of yourself.

Name and physical appearance are uncanny.
I referenced Boony's flight to London but replaced beers with bananas

Nice to see people on this thread are in a relatively good mood. Everyone in other threads and social media and wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth. They are so sad, Chad.
It's nice to avoid that craze, Faze

Seems like they have a great album on their hands but are keen on ruining the pre-release news cycle as much as possible, lol. Awful ticketing system for the new tour, releasing American Soul when all of the reviewers so far have mentioned NONE of the pre-released tracks as being standouts...

...so, about normal for a U2 release then? :doh:

Seems like they have a great album on their hands but are keen on ruining the pre-release news cycle as much as possible, lol. Awful ticketing system for the new tour, releasing American Soul when all of the reviewers so far have mentioned NONE of the pre-released tracks as being standouts...

...so, about normal for a U2 release then? :doh:

My thoughts are they releasing the somewhat political stuff first and intentionally setting expectations low...the songs are not bad by any means and are produced well. From the reviews I have read it sounds like there are some nice hits which should sustain the album through the tour.

My thoughts are they releasing the somewhat political stuff first and intentionally setting expectations low...the songs are not bad by any means and are produced well. From the reviews I have read it sounds like there are some nice hits which should sustain the album through the tour.

Intentionally setting expectations low... does not jive with reality. It makes no sense to do that. I think there are just some songs the band becomes so connected to, and the fact that American Soul is going to radio before Blackout or GOOYOW just defies comprehension. Such a head scratcher...

Not that YT comments are anything to go by but American Soul is getting ripped apart there.

Didn’t know if this had been posted yet. It’s a Making of The Blackout video. Fun to watch.

On their Facebook page there's a message saying " This is 'American Soul’, another new track from the new album Songs of Experience which is RELEASED NEXT WEEK. Pre-order your copy of the album today and download up to FIVE tracks immediately. "

FIVE tracks ?

I can only count four (AS, GOOYOW, TBT, Blackout). What's the fifth track then ?

On their Facebook page there's a message saying " This is 'American Soul’, another new track from the new album Songs of Experience which is RELEASED NEXT WEEK. Pre-order your copy of the album today and download up to FIVE tracks immediately. "

FIVE tracks ?

I can only count four (AS, GOOYOW, TBT, Blackout). What's the fifth track then ?

It's probably Best Thing (Kygo remix)

Well, this may have already been brought up, and apologies if it has, but I came across the running time for each track.

Was over at allmusic checking to see if there was an advance listing of the album and found it. Unsurprisingly there is no review up at this time - although the album already has a seriously negative user rating, heh - but the album information is all laid out for those who are interested.

Now, it may not mean anything to some, but I found it very interesting not a single track reaches the five minute mark. If legit, this would make SOE the only U2 album, aside from October, to not have a single track of five minutes or more. Boy had An Cat Dubh, and every album starting with War has had multiple five minute plus songs. On SOE only The Blackout and Little Things breach the four and a half minute mark.

Like I said, nobody may give a flying you know what, but dammit I like my epic, sprawling U2 tracks. I even like meandering, lumbering U2 tracks. Above all, I like me some atmospheric U2 tracks - which are often long winded in nature. I'm not suggesting a song of five minutes or more is some automatic sign of high quality(for U2 or any artist), but I do believe U2 have used numerous lengthy tracks to add to their catalogue of greatness.

I remain optimistic about the new album, but I definitely find this intriguing about the obvious attempt to keep track lengths to a minimum. There's something to be said about trimming the fat - especially around Thanksgiving- but I'm somewhat worried this means we won't have any epic and lengthy segments of greatness on SOE.

With 13 songs I figured SOE would be a shoo-in as the longest U2 album by runtime. I haven't added up each track but it's shorter than Pop's 12. Definitely a surprise to me. I figured at least one or two songs would be longer expansive numbers, especially considering the descriptions that have done the rounds.

I was just thinking, it’s going to be really hard on the first listen to get through tracks 3-5. Not because I think they’re bad or anything, but because I can’t wait to hear what comes after them.

I was just thinking, it’s going to be really hard on the first listen to get through tracks 3-5. Not because I think they’re bad or anything, but because I can’t wait to hear what comes after them.

I know! But still - I think this will be a true ‘album’ and it will be worth it

Back
Top Bottom