SOE 33: Bono to open the batting on new album, Larry to keep wicket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahahha.... I was about to mention that catch as well. But you came up with the video too. Unreal

This has probably been addressed multiple times already, but can someone fill me in on what happened to Tightrope? I thought I had seen it mentioned here a while back that Tightrope became Black Out....but I could very well be mistaken. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Recall being intrigued by early descriptions of Tightrope, so hopefully it made the album in some form. Black Out is my easy choice for favorite of what we've heard so far, so I'd be cool with it if that was the song's fate.

This has probably been addressed multiple times already, but can someone fill me in on what happened to Tightrope? I thought I had seen it mentioned here a while back that Tightrope became Black Out....but I could very well be mistaken. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Recall being intrigued by early descriptions of Tightrope, so hopefully it made the album in some form. Black Out is my easy choice for favorite of what we've heard so far, so I'd be cool with it if that was the song's fate.

I think the speculation is that Civilisation became Blackout.

Tightrope, along with Instrument Flying, Civilisation, The Morning After Innocence, and Where The Shadows Fall, were all mentioned in 2015. They've not been mentioned by title since

Tightrope, along with Instrument Flying, Civilisation, The Morning After Innocence, and Where The Shadows Fall, were all mentioned in 2015. They've not been mentioned by title since

Didn’t the morning after innocence become little things?

supposedly.. there were lyrics quoted at one point, suggesting its roots reach back even farther, to a Bomb-era song called Lead Me in the Way I Should Go. Source

I was living a lie.
I was calling it compromise.
I was making bad deals in front of everyone’s eyes.
Deals now everyone denies.
I was giving evidence in the court of hearts desire,
falsifying documents, virtue thrown in the fire.
Sometimes I wish that I was stupid and you were not so smart.
Overcome the head, will always overcome the heart.

Lead me in the way I should go.
I’m running out of chances to blow.
That’s what you told me and you should know.

Lead me in the way I should be.
Unravel the mystery of the heart and its defense.
The morning after innocence.

Is that your fountain pen?
Navy with a nib of gold.
Could you write your name again
And do anything you were told in 10 Cedarwood Road.
I’m your older self,
the song of experience.
I’ve come to ask for help from your song of innocence.

Lead me in the way I should go.
I’m running out of chances to blow.
That’s what you told me and you should know.

Last edited:

I'll never find it, but one of the radio interviews describing a SoE listening session a couple months ago described Lights of Home as having some sort of massive drumming sound halfway through, leading to a vocal chant-type thing which seemed made for a stadium.

I remember Civilization being described as having 'colossal drums' about half way through, so I think there's a chance it could have morphed into Lights of Home.

(But I think Blackout is a perfectly reasonable assumption too!)

going through the new songs and I'm really enjoying The Best Thing - this is a pleasant change! I hope it sticks.

Back
Top Bottom