SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
\

Yeah, funny how you don't apply your standard to the guy who told someone to "fuck the fuck off" by simply stating that he liked a lyric in Winter.
Funny, I didn't see that nor do I go around trying to police every situation.

Nor do I actually give a crap if someone tells someone to fuck off directly to them. That's between those two people and the mods.

Your seem to enjoy taking shots at people who aren't even involved in your conversation, which is kinda bullshit. If you have a problem with Ax by all means take it directly to him, I'm sure he'd happily respond.

But you haven’t answered how it’s cringeworthy. I mean you probably chose one of the best examples of what was great about Bono’s writing at that time, so it makes me wonder if you don’t get it or you just HAD to pick a line from axver’s favorite song?

And again, it's funny because no one explained why the lyric in Winter is so terrible, they just stated it. You just accepted it and are apparently fine with that, because you're not interested in being consistent.

Or they could really fuck it up and say “We are a band from the Northside of Dublin called U2 and we hope you like our album” . Then they play Boy in order. That would be cool and kinda funny at the same time!!

Funny, I didn't see that nor do I go around trying to police every situation.

Nor do I actually give a crap if someone tells someone to fuck off directly to them. That's between those two people and the mods.

Your seem to enjoy taking shots at people who aren't even involved in your conversation, which is kinda bullshit. If you have a problem with Ax by all means take it directly to him, I'm sure he'd happily respond.

What are you talking about? This is a forum, and I clearly weighed in when the talk turned to Winter. I was involved in the conversation. Go back and look, since you don't seem to be concerned about accuracy here. Only after the "fuck the fuck
off" comment did I state my disagreement on the quality of the lyrics in ASOH. Stop applying double-standards.

This is literally one of the worst U2 lyrics of all time, what the fuck are you talking about. This is "butter on toast" material. To protect the ones? We put bullets in guns? Seriously? This from the dude who gave us ASOH? Fuck the fuck off.
Those lyrics you quoted aren't actually the lyrics though. Here is the correction (in capitalized bold), which, of course, changes everything:

At twenty-one
I was born a son
And on that day I knew
I could kill

To protect the ones
WHO put bullets in guns
Or anything it takes
To take a life until it's still

And also these lines are some of Bono's most evocative to date...

The yellow sun
Well, it took the hand
Of a country boy
To a city in a far-off land

We made no mark
No shadow at all
On the ancient, holy streets
Where I learned to crawl

The broken and the bruised
The young and the used
The sure and confused
All here...

Last edited:
Those lyrics you quoted aren't actually the lyrics though. Here is the correction:

At twenty-one
I was born a son
And on that day I knew
I could kill

To protect the ones
WHO put bullets in guns
Or anything it takes
To take a life until it's still

And also these lines are some of Bono's most evocative to date...

The yellow sun
Well, it took the hand
Of a country boy
To a city in a far-off land

We made no mark
No shadow at all
On the ancient, holy streets
Where I learned to crawl

The broken and the bruised
The young and the used
The sure and confused
All here

Hey man, but "O com-away, o com-away, o-com, o com-away, I say I" beats all of those lyrics!!

Hey man, but "O com-away, o com-away, o-com, o com-away, I say I" beats all of those lyrics!!
Disliking the song is one thing.

Picking out this particular line as proof of bad lyrics, on the other hand, makes zero sense.

That would be like saying One has bad lyrics and then using the "ohhhhs" at the end as your proof.

Disliking the song is one thing.

Picking out this particular line as proof of bad lyrics, on the other hand, makes zero sense.

That would be like saying One has bad lyrics and then using the "ohhhhs" at the end as your proof.

You haven't been paying attention. I love ASOH, but it doesn't change the fact that some of its lyrics are poor.

And the comparison to One is bad. The lyric from ASOH is in the middle the song and contains, you know, actual words. The "ohhhs" in One are at the very end of the song and are not really meant to be a lyric at all.

W6fd68X.gif

You haven't been paying attention. I love ASOH, but it doesn't change the fact that some of its lyrics are poor.

And the comparison to One is bad. The lyric from ASOH is in the middle the song and contains, you know, actual words. The "ohhhs" in One are at the very end of the song and are not really meant to be a lyric at all.
That part is not actually part of the verse. It's more or less Bono using his voice as an instrument.

Totally agree. This is such a hidden gem that sadly will never see the light of day.

Why has this song never been put on an album? It's still the best pop-rock song U2 have produced in the past 25 years. It might have gone straight to number one if it had been released as the first single...

youtube.com/watch?v=EO8arThAKfk

Last edited:
If I had to pick 5 songs that show Bono at the height of his powers lyrically:

1. One
2. So Cruel
3. Please
4. All I Want is You
5. Running to Stand Still

maybe they keep it hidden for an especial album like, for example, their last album.

maybe they kept all that gems from all their career just for that one epic album. i really hope it is.

Why has this song never been put on an album? It's still the best pop-rock song U2 have produced in the past 25 years. It might have gone straight to number one if it had been released as the first single...

Last edited:
\

Yeah, funny how you don't apply your standard to the guy who told someone to "fuck the fuck off" by simply stating that he liked a lyric in Winter.

as far as i know, Axver and Dan Smee are long-time posters and familiar characters in here, so i'm pretty sure Dan Smee wouldn't have taken offence - you're new here and have been causing a LOT of trouble for a newbie, and are simply trying to create a situation out of nothing in this case

Back to the Trafalgar Square gig for the moment, two friends received an email to say that they had a second chance to get tickets, and it included a code to input on ticketmaster to obtain them. Trouble is, they didn't see the emails until 30 mins and 45 mins after they had been received, so by the time the codes were entered it said the classic 'no tickets matching your search'.

Utter despair!

Back
Top Bottom