SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 AM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by visocchi View Post
after seeing them 21 times since 1992
And there's the context. For us Antipodeans, seeing them at all is a treat. They just don't cross the equator often. So like Axver, I'd see either of the shows you suggested because they're my fave band and they've only toured NZ 3 times in the last 27 years.

But I'd be pretty gutted.

Now, would you go to a U2 gig that was strictly pre Joshua Tree? Fuck I would. Over and over again.

Just seeing Boy start to finish would cause all sorts of underwear staining.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 AM   #92
Refugee

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by visocchi View Post
Definitely. In fact, my hope is that the setlist would only be songs from Innocence and Experience, just those two albums period. That would be so cool and so different from anything they have done in the past on other tours.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:22 AM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
I'm on Team The Tourist
Welcome. Now there are two of us.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:25 AM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
One thing that's interesting is that the opening track is less than 3 minutes long and from what I remember, it's a shower song. Should be interesting to see if they really open up with a slower track and the album builds up to tracks 3-5.
I wasn't aware the song running times had been released? Source?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:33 AM   #95
War Child

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Its just incredible the amount of analysis four minutes of sound goes through. Those four minutes have to be the best of 80s U2, has to be experimental, and has to somehow also fit into the current musical environment -- sometimes its all of those three simultaneously, sometimes it depends on which perspective you are coming from.
At the very least, no U2 song, in this internet age will ever be satisfying. And that is a pity.
What scares me a little is that the band may be paying attention to this crap. This releasing blackout as a performance sample, letting kygo play the best thing beforehand, playing TLTTGYA at Kimmel, all seem to be a way to gauge fan reaction and tailor mixes accordingly. The one thing U2 shouldnt be doing is try to please everyone, because Interference is a good illustration of the fact that we really don't know what we want.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #96
The Fly

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
And there's the context. For us Antipodeans, seeing them at all is a treat. They just don't cross the equator often. So like Axver, I'd see either of the shows you suggested because they're my fave band and they've only toured NZ 3 times in the last 27 years.

Now, would you go to a U2 gig that was strictly pre Joshua Tree? Fuck I would. Over and over again.

There was a time when Boy was my favorite U2 album, back at the start of the ZOO TV tour. Its the album I also got Bono to sign that year.

I'd go to a U2 show of just Boy and Pre-Boy songs. Or, a WAR/UF Tour just those two albums.

But these days, what excites me the most is the new songs.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 AM   #97
War Child

For what it's worth, GOOYOW is solid enough. It's not WOWY or One, but it's not CFYT either. And some people here love Crumbs... to each their own. A song doesnt have to be all of U2's greatness in a nutshell.

Blackout is pretty damn good btw. Havent heard American Soul yet. Will pre order in a bit
Old 11-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #98
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:

All I ask for 2020 is a 40th anniversary Boy Tour. That truly would be the best thing. I'd go to so many shows it's not funny. My bank balance would hate me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-02-2017, 03:21 AM   #99
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I wasn't aware the song running times had been released? Source?

iTunes
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:45 PM
American Soul is just...sad.

Pretty good verses and then just...wtf. I don't get it.

If it is ever explained why they recycled that chorus, someone start a new thread that says that in the title so we don't have to dig through all the crap just to find it.

I could have imagined some new lows for U2 but blatantly lifting from the previous album would have been among my last guesses.

That said, have not heard studio Blackout yet but Get Out is passable for 21st Century U2. Solid.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:41 AM   #101
War Child

Where can i hear American soul? Do I have to preorder through U2.com? If I do, then do I have to fork up 40 quid for membership?

Edit: I see no sense in starting. Membership this year as I wont be in a place where I can go to shows...
Old 11-02-2017, 03:58 AM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I dunno. When I think Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me I think MacPhisto and the Achtung/Zooropa era. We can debate the exact location of the split til we are blue in the face, but it's there. I chose prior to Pop because that's when I feel like they really changed their sound to follow the trends.

I recently saw a YouTube video with early versions of some of the Pop songs. I really do think that was the album that divides classic U2 and modern U2.
Let's be real.

The point at which they started chasing trends was Achtung Baby.

Just because everyone likes that one doesn't make it less true.

You can argue that their decisions on which trends to chase have worsened with time if you'd like, but that's when the pursuit of trends first started.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:01 AM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIS View Post
Its just incredible the amount of analysis four minutes of sound goes through. Those four minutes have to be the best of 80s U2, has to be experimental, and has to somehow also fit into the current musical environment -- sometimes its all of those three simultaneously, sometimes it depends on which perspective you are coming from.
At the very least, no U2 song, in this internet age will ever be satisfying. And that is a pity.
What scares me a little is that the band may be paying attention to this crap. This releasing blackout as a performance sample, letting kygo play the best thing beforehand, playing TLTTGYA at Kimmel, all seem to be a way to gauge fan reaction and tailor mixes accordingly. The one thing U2 shouldnt be doing is try to please everyone, because Interference is a good illustration of the fact that we really don't know what we want.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #104
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
One thing that's interesting is that the opening track is less than 3 minutes long and from what I remember, it's a shower song. Should be interesting to see if they really open up with a slower track and the album builds up to tracks 3-5.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:16 AM   #105
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Let's be real.

The point at which they started chasing trends was Achtung Baby.

Just because everyone likes that one doesn't make it less true.

You can argue that their decisions on which trends to chase have worsened with time if you'd like, but that's when the pursuit of trends first started.
Achtung doesn't sound one bit like grunge.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog