SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #61
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:46 PM
At least we know it will be Rolling Stone's Album of the Year.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 PM
SOI just became a gem.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #63
Refugee

Local Time: 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
SOI just became a gem.
The cycle continues, then!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #64
Refugee

Local Time: 04:46 PM
For a lot of us here, re-employing Eno seems like the necessary silver bullet. But of course it isn't. They had Eno and ignored/replaced him near the end of the No Line sessions.
The issue is U2. The four men who wrote Shadows and Tall Trees when they were 17 and 18. They are in charge, and they're choosing this.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #65
War Child

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I actually like GOYB and AMAAW, but point taken, for the most part.

My revised takeaway is this: the signs of U2 drifting towards a generic sound plus inane Bonoisms have been around for awhile, at least since ATYCLB. Their roots may even extend into the 90s, depending on what our attitude will be towards Bono's less-sincere usage towards such lyrics (which I won't try to litigate here). The specifics of it aren't that important, but the point is that this stuff has a legacy.

What's really concerning here is that we've heard 1/3 of the album and there's not much of a sign of anything particularly impressive so far. So far, we have basically a pretty generic sound and lyrics that are at best okay and at worst an impressively substantial collection of inane Bonisms for 1/3 of an album. Sure, I've come to like YTBTAM a good bit more, especially with the music videos. But is it really the best song on the album? Feels that way so far to me. And it doesn't even hit the middling highs of SOI.

ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH all had their issues, for sure. But there are incredibly special moments on each of those albums. SOI was much thinner on that front. I'm worried that SOE will be thinner still.

So, we will see. You're right that a generic sound and inane Bonoisms aren't new to 2017. But I'm just not sure we'll get something much above decent.
Typically, since 1997, the really great/deeper U2 songs are not released right away. Think of 'Kite' and even 'Walk On' ('the latter was, what, the 4th and last single, while 'Kite' wasn't even a single, lol). Post 1995 U2 and/or the record company seem to pick the songs with the least depth when promoting albums actually. It shouldn't be a surprise that the only deep song we've heard so far from this album is one they've only played at The Joshua Tree shows ('Little Things'), as that was not really part of the album promo. There are still 9 songs we haven't heard, let's remember, and still plenty of room for those deeper cuts.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #66
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The five-star review is already written. I would bet money on that.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:00 AM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow Loris View Post
Typically, since 1997, the really great/deeper U2 songs are not released right away. Think of 'Kite' and even 'Walk On' ('the latter was, what, the 4th and last single, while 'Kite' wasn't even a single, lol). Post 1995 U2 and/or the record company seem to pick the songs with the least depth when promoting albums actually. It shouldn't be a surprise that the only deep song we've heard so far from this album is one they've only played at The Joshua Tree shows ('Little Things'), as that was not really part of the album promo. There are still 9 songs we haven't heard, let's remember, and still plenty of room for those deeper cuts.
We can hope. I would love to be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Very true. The Troubles is good enough to belong on Achtung, so here’s hoping.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #69
War Child

Local Time: 03:46 AM
It seems to me like the only thing connecting this album to SoI is the title. None of these songs seem to be about continuing the theme started in Songs of Innocence. Which I don't have a problem with, necessarily, but it seems odd to introduce it as a "sequel."

The real shame here, to me, is that these vocal melodies are fantastic and catchy, but they're either ruined by bad lyrics (American Soul, YTBTAM), or dull, lifeless production (GOOYOW).
Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #70
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow Loris View Post
Also true. Say what you will about the songs, but the ones they’ve released so far have decent to good hooks that are most palatable for general consumption. This is U2 the business after all...
Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
For a lot of us here, re-employing Eno seems like the necessary silver bullet. But of course it isn't. They had Eno and ignored/replaced him near the end of the No Line sessions.
The issue is U2. The four men who wrote Shadows and Tall Trees when they were 17 and 18. They are in charge, and they're choosing this.

Yes, I made this point. There's a shit ton of flak being directed at Ryan Tedder (calling him Steve Bannon lmao).

Tedder isn't the problem. At all. This is U2. If Tedder was in charge, their music might actually crack the top 100. Not that that's a measure of quality.

U2 can't get out of Yaweh. Which is yjeie new way. But their old way (because they're old af).
Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

One thing that's interesting is that the opening track is less than 3 minutes long and from what I remember, it's a shower song. Should be interesting to see if they really open up with a slower track and the album builds up to tracks 3-5.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung Ya'll View Post
I think Pop U2 is very much the same as HMTMKMKM U2. Pop is absolutely the last in the 90s trilogy.
I dunno. When I think Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me I think MacPhisto and the Achtung/Zooropa era. We can debate the exact location of the split til we are blue in the face, but it's there. I chose prior to Pop because that's when I feel like they really changed their sound to follow the trends.

I recently saw a YouTube video with early versions of some of the Pop songs. I really do think that was the album that divides classic U2 and modern U2.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Now that Rolling Stone is moving to newer management they will probably get a 4 star review. If the rest of the album is more poppy and generic (meaning very different from SOI which is a really good album) they might get only a 3 1/2 star review. Unless of course there are some eternal classics we haven't heard yet.

The biggest criticisms will come from people saying "this is all the wisdom you got from your experience?"

U2 is very successful and happy so the hunger must not be the same as in the 80's or the 90's.

Maybe the lesson is, "bleed on your lyrics while you make money and then as you gain success there's less to complain about, so enjoy yourself!"
Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I dunno. When I think Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me I think MacPhisto and the Achtung/Zooropa era. We can debate the exact location of the split til we are blue in the face, but it's there. I chose prior to Pop because that's when I feel like they really changed their sound to follow the trends.

I recently saw a YouTube video with early versions of some of the Pop songs. I really do think that was the album that divides classic U2 and modern U2.
I find your POV interesting, as Ive never thought of it like that before. In my mind the change happened after Pop but you make a good point