SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,452
Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep.

What also gets me is how this music blends in sonically with what other prominent mainstream rock bands are producing. One of the things that set U2 apart at the peak of their abilities was how different they were. Nothing on radio in 1987 sounded like WOWY. Plenty of post-punk bands were evolving in new directions in 1984 but none went quite as impressionistic or abstract as UF. Achtung and Zooropa were absolutely not grunge.

Pop was perceived as a bit of trendhopping, but my god, these four songs just disappear into the same sonic space as today's dime-a-dozen radio rock bands. It's more the production than the songs themselves, though the devolution of Bono's lyrics into bland platitudes doesn't help.
Indeed
__________________

__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #47
Refugee
 
RoKKeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,578
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep.

What also gets me is how this music blends in sonically with what other prominent mainstream rock bands are producing. One of the things that set U2 apart at the peak of their abilities was how different they were. Nothing on radio in 1987 sounded like WOWY. Plenty of post-punk bands were evolving in new directions in 1984 but none went quite as impressionistic or abstract as UF. Achtung and Zooropa were absolutely not grunge.

Pop was perceived as a bit of trendhopping, but my god, these four songs just disappear into the same sonic space as today's dime-a-dozen radio rock bands. It's more the production than the songs themselves, though the devolution of Bono's lyrics into bland platitudes doesn't help.
I don’t disagree, but how far do you have to go back to get to what you are talking about? Pop? I just think that, regardless of how you feel about the songs themselves, they fit into the post-2000 era U2 sound just about as well as anything else we’ve heard from them in the last 17 years. Essentially, it’s nothing new.

And I say this as someone who is generally enjoying the new material.
__________________

__________________
RoKKeR is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,927
Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post
I don’t disagree, but how far do you have to go back to get to what you are talking about? Pop? I just think that, regardless of how you feel about the songs themselves, they fit into the post-2000 era U2 sound just about as well as anything else we’ve heard from them in the last 17 years. Essentially, it’s nothing new.

And I say this as someone who is generally enjoying the new material.
Yep. Basically the band was at it's creative peak from 1980-1995 and since then they've been trying to be their commercial peak. I basically consider U2 from Pop to now a different band than U2 from Boy to Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

I enjoy both U2s. One is a nice fun band and the other is one of the best bands of all time. The trick is to mentally separate them. In my opinion.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #49
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 150,784
Local Time: 04:08 AM
See, if U2 began their career in 2000, there's not a chance in hell I'd be a fan of them.

Lucky they were so fucking good before then.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #50
War Child
 
cseggleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tn
Posts: 553
Local Time: 05:08 PM
I think these songs are perfectly written for the intended audience which is not the older U2 crowd. 44 puts me in the older crowd and I am enjoying these songs much more than SOI, HTDAAB, and NLOTH. Big subjects sweetened like pop to make them easily digested!! I about wrecked my car when I had my son and 4 of his 11-year friends in my car and they asked me to play Raised by Wolves!!
__________________
cseggleton is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #51
Refugee
 
RoKKeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,578
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Yep. Basically the band was at it's creative peak from 1980-1995 and since then they've been trying to be their commercial peak. I basically consider U2 from Pop to now a different band than U2 from Boy to Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

I enjoy both U2s. One is a nice fun band and the other is one of the best bands of all time. The trick is to mentally separate them. In my opinion.
An interesting way to think about it... probably a good one as we are still getting the best of both worlds. They continue to release strong material while touring their catalogue as one of the best bands ever for everybody to enjoy.

As a younger fan I’m just happy they are not only still around, but seemingly have the drive to stay at the top of their game by touring and releasing new material. Enjoying it while it lasts, that’s for sure.
__________________
RoKKeR is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #52
The Fly
 
Northside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 255
Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
What was Bono thinking, and how did the band and the entire city of producers and engineers around them let it through?
This is a question I keep coming back to. How did Refujesus make it on to the album? How is Bono allowed out with those round sunglasses on? I have to assume people are speaking truth to power and he’s just not listening. He’s earned so much leeway that it’s actially hurting him. He can’t get out of his own way!
__________________
Northside is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #53
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,105
Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
See, if U2 began their career in 2000, there's not a chance in hell I'd be a fan of them.

Lucky they were so fucking good before then.
Haha yes! Although I'd listen to a bunch of their songs, I sure as hell wouldn't be on a U2 fan site.
__________________
kiwilad is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 55,796
Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside View Post
How is Bono allowed out with those round sunglasses on? !
This is the most important question of all time.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #55
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Slowloris-ville, Western Indonesia
Posts: 765
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Okay, I’m just going to be honest: these aren’t very good songs, are they? Like, I guess I’m happy to have a new U2 album, but, like, this is the band that made Bad. Or even BD/COBL/MOS. And now... this? Like, the songs aren’t awful, but they’re just so many tiers removed from what I know U2 are capable of.
The album that produced 'Moment of Surrender' also produced 'Stand Up Comedy' and 'Get on Your Boots' (as the lead single, no less). The album that produced 'Beautiful Day' also produced 'Peace On Earth', 'Grace' and 'Elevation' (unless you consider a mole digging in a hole to be something revelatory). The album that produced 'City of Blinding Lights' also produced lyrics about intellectual tortoises, mused about highrises on backs, and even pondered over the "mysterious distance" between a man and a woman (while simultaneously trying to rhyme said distance with "romance"). Just saying...
__________________
The Slow Loris is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #56
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 493
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Yep. Basically the band was at it's creative peak from 1980-1995 and since then they've been trying to be their commercial peak. I basically consider U2 from Pop to now a different band than U2 from Boy to Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

I enjoy both U2s. One is a nice fun band and the other is one of the best bands of all time. The trick is to mentally separate them. In my opinion.
I think Pop U2 is very much the same as HMTMKMKM U2. Pop is absolutely the last in the 90s trilogy.
__________________
Achtung Ya'll is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,404
Local Time: 12:08 PM
I’ve only done one listen through, and I’ve avoided American Soul because I hate Volcano, but it’s pretty good. I think it’s a little unfair to compare these songs to Bad and, say, Streets, because those songs have 30 years of magnitude behind them, and, really, no one else has written better songs either. Plus they have the advantage of a lifetime of live performances, which always make the album versions better (really, on TUF, Bad is kind of a nebulous mess, it’s only the order imposed by the superlative live version that makes the album version make sense).

That said.

GOOwhatever sounds better than my initial expensive children’s birthday party band fears, but it’s not my favorite. It has no ache, there’s no hurt, which a good U2 song needs. I feel no stakes. None. It’s just sort of pretty.

TBT is highly enjoyable, I’m still a fan. It also has a tension GOO lacks.

Blackout seems the winner here, definitely the most interesting and nimble.

I do miss the magic. It just doesn’t happen through crappy earbuds. (My good ones are at work).
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,952
Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow Loris View Post
The album that produced 'Moment of Surrender' also produced 'Stand Up Comedy' and 'Get on Your Boots' (as the lead single, no less). The album that produced 'Beautiful Day' also produced 'Peace On Earth', 'Grace' and 'Elevation' (unless you consider a mole digging in a hole to be something revelatory). The album that produced 'City of Blinding Lights' also produced lyrics about intellectual tortoises, mused about highrises on backs, and even pondered over the "mysterious distance" between a man and a woman (while simultaneously trying to rhyme said distance with "romance"). Just saying...
I actually like GOYB and AMAAW, but point taken, for the most part.

My revised takeaway is this: the signs of U2 drifting towards a generic sound plus inane Bonoisms have been around for awhile, at least since ATYCLB. Their roots may even extend into the 90s, depending on what our attitude will be towards Bono's less-sincere usage towards such lyrics (which I won't try to litigate here). The specifics of it aren't that important, but the point is that this stuff has a legacy.

What's really concerning here is that we've heard 1/3 of the album and there's not much of a sign of anything particularly impressive so far. So far, we have basically a pretty generic sound and lyrics that are at best okay and at worst an impressively substantial collection of inane Bonisms for 1/3 of an album. Sure, I've come to like YTBTAM a good bit more, especially with the music videos. But is it really the best song on the album? Feels that way so far to me. And it doesn't even hit the middling highs of SOI.

ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH all had their issues, for sure. But there are incredibly special moments on each of those albums. SOI was much thinner on that front. I'm worried that SOE will be thinner still.

So, we will see. You're right that a generic sound and inane Bonoisms aren't new to 2017. But I'm just not sure we'll get something much above decent.
__________________
digitize is online now  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,488
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I’ve only done one listen through, and I’ve avoided American Soul because I hate Volcano, but it’s pretty good. I think it’s a little unfair to compare these songs to Bad and, say, Streets, because those songs have 30 years of magnitude behind them, and, really, no one else has written better songs either. Plus they have the advantage of a lifetime of live performances, which always make the album versions better (really, on TUF, Bad is kind of a nebulous mess, it’s only the order imposed by the superlative live version that makes the album version make sense).

That said.

GOOwhatever sounds better than my initial expensive children’s birthday party band fears, but it’s not my favorite. It has no ache, there’s no hurt, which a good U2 song needs. I feel no stakes. None. It’s just sort of pretty.

TBT is highly enjoyable, I’m still a fan. It also has a tension GOO lacks.

Blackout seems the winner here, definitely the most interesting and nimble.

I do miss the magic. It just doesn’t happen through crappy earbuds. (My good ones are at work).
It also doesn't happen in a perfectly crafted 3 minute pop song. They've become so compressed to a formula that they've lost what makes them great, which is also what makes them maddening, the noodling around in the studio. A single riff can span 5 different ideas

And them playing around trying to figure out how it becomes a U2 song, versus how do we make this the perfect Pop song?

A song like UTEOTW was built around a riff, in fact the riff IS the chorus of the song. I'd hate to see what U2 would do with a song like that today.
__________________
BEAL is offline  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:36 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,404
Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
It also doesn't happen in a perfectly crafted 3 minute pop song. They've become so compressed to a formula that they've lost what makes them great, which is also what makes them maddening, the noodling around in the studio. A single riff can span 5 different ideas



And them playing around trying to figure out how it becomes a U2 song, versus how do we make this the perfect Pop song?



A song like UTEOTW was built around a riff, in fact the riff IS the chorus of the song. I'd hate to see what U2 would do with a song like that today.


Agreed. It’s not like they didn’t write great, intentional pop songs in the past. MW and ISHF have absolutely ruthless hooks, which is why they are the massive hits they were intended to be. But there does seem to be space that’s missing, which I feel like they always said was key to their appeal — that they let the song breathe, whereas everyone else would move it along or play a solo or whatever.

It seems like a conscious decision not to do that? I feel like they have declined, of course, as everyone does, and they still have great moments, but there seems to be too much awareness about a perceived audience reaction and they are willingly allowing themselves to be strangled by it.

There’s still imagination and joy and well done execution, but ... we’ll see how it all sounds in 1 or 6 or 12 or 200 months from now.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com