SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least we know it will be Rolling Stone's Album of the Year. :happy:

For a lot of us here, re-employing Eno seems like the necessary silver bullet. But of course it isn't. They had Eno and ignored/replaced him near the end of the No Line sessions.
The issue is U2. The four men who wrote Shadows and Tall Trees when they were 17 and 18. They are in charge, and they're choosing this.

I actually like GOYB and AMAAW, but point taken, for the most part.

My revised takeaway is this: the signs of U2 drifting towards a generic sound plus inane Bonoisms have been around for awhile, at least since ATYCLB. Their roots may even extend into the 90s, depending on what our attitude will be towards Bono's less-sincere usage towards such lyrics (which I won't try to litigate here). The specifics of it aren't that important, but the point is that this stuff has a legacy.

What's really concerning here is that we've heard 1/3 of the album and there's not much of a sign of anything particularly impressive so far. So far, we have basically a pretty generic sound and lyrics that are at best okay and at worst an impressively substantial collection of inane Bonisms for 1/3 of an album. Sure, I've come to like YTBTAM a good bit more, especially with the music videos. But is it really the best song on the album? Feels that way so far to me. And it doesn't even hit the middling highs of SOI.

ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH all had their issues, for sure. But there are incredibly special moments on each of those albums. SOI was much thinner on that front. I'm worried that SOE will be thinner still.

So, we will see. You're right that a generic sound and inane Bonoisms aren't new to 2017. But I'm just not sure we'll get something much above decent.
Typically, since 1997, the really great/deeper U2 songs are not released right away. Think of 'Kite' and even 'Walk On' ('the latter was, what, the 4th and last single, while 'Kite' wasn't even a single, lol). Post 1995 U2 and/or the record company seem to pick the songs with the least depth when promoting albums actually. It shouldn't be a surprise that the only deep song we've heard so far from this album is one they've only played at The Joshua Tree shows ('Little Things'), as that was not really part of the album promo. There are still 9 songs we haven't heard, let's remember, and still plenty of room for those deeper cuts.

Typically, since 1997, the really great/deeper U2 songs are not released right away. Think of 'Kite' and even 'Walk On' ('the latter was, what, the 4th and last single, while 'Kite' wasn't even a single, lol). Post 1995 U2 and/or the record company seem to pick the songs with the least depth when promoting albums actually. It shouldn't be a surprise that the only deep song we've heard so far from this album is one they've only played at The Joshua Tree shows ('Little Things'), as that was not really part of the album promo. There are still 9 songs we haven't heard, let's remember, and still plenty of room for those deeper cuts.

We can hope. I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

It seems to me like the only thing connecting this album to SoI is the title. None of these songs seem to be about continuing the theme started in Songs of Innocence. Which I don't have a problem with, necessarily, but it seems odd to introduce it as a "sequel."

The real shame here, to me, is that these vocal melodies are fantastic and catchy, but they're either ruined by bad lyrics (American Soul, YTBTAM), or dull, lifeless production (GOOYOW).

Also true. Say what you will about the songs, but the ones they’ve released so far have decent to good hooks that are most palatable for general consumption. This is U2 the business after all...

For a lot of us here, re-employing Eno seems like the necessary silver bullet. But of course it isn't. They had Eno and ignored/replaced him near the end of the No Line sessions.
The issue is U2. The four men who wrote Shadows and Tall Trees when they were 17 and 18. They are in charge, and they're choosing this.

Yes, I made this point. There's a shit ton of flak being directed at Ryan Tedder (calling him Steve Bannon lmao).

Tedder isn't the problem. At all. This is U2. If Tedder was in charge, their music might actually crack the top 100. Not that that's a measure of quality.

U2 can't get out of Yaweh. Which is yjeie new way. But their old way (because they're old af).

One thing that's interesting is that the opening track is less than 3 minutes long and from what I remember, it's a shower song. Should be interesting to see if they really open up with a slower track and the album builds up to tracks 3-5.

I think Pop U2 is very much the same as HMTMKMKM U2. Pop is absolutely the last in the 90s trilogy.

I dunno. When I think Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me I think MacPhisto and the Achtung/Zooropa era. We can debate the exact location of the split til we are blue in the face, but it's there. I chose prior to Pop because that's when I feel like they really changed their sound to follow the trends.

I recently saw a YouTube video with early versions of some of the Pop songs. I really do think that was the album that divides classic U2 and modern U2.

At least we know it will be Rolling Stone's Album of the Year. :happy:

Now that Rolling Stone is moving to newer management they will probably get a 4 star review. If the rest of the album is more poppy and generic (meaning very different from SOI which is a really good album) they might get only a 3 1/2 star review. Unless of course there are some eternal classics we haven't heard yet.

The biggest criticisms will come from people saying "this is all the wisdom you got from your experience?"

U2 is very successful and happy so the hunger must not be the same as in the 80's or the 90's.

Maybe the lesson is, "bleed on your lyrics while you make money and then as you gain success there's less to complain about, so enjoy yourself!"

I dunno. When I think Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me I think MacPhisto and the Achtung/Zooropa era. We can debate the exact location of the split til we are blue in the face, but it's there. I chose prior to Pop because that's when I feel like they really changed their sound to follow the trends.

I recently saw a YouTube video with early versions of some of the Pop songs. I really do think that was the album that divides classic U2 and modern U2.

I find your POV interesting, as Ive never thought of it like that before. In my mind the change happened after Pop but you make a good point

See, if U2 began their career in 2000, there's not a chance in hell I'd be a fan of them.

Lucky they were so fucking good before then.

Would you still go to see U2 on this new tour if no songs from before 2000 are played?

This album seems entirely mastered for headphones so far. It seems very flat and dull through speakers, but there are a lot of subtle details and the sound somehow richer on headphones. Maybe I’m crazy - anyone else hear it this way?

Overall, very positive first impressions of the new tracks for me. Blackout my standout so far.

I thought the exact same thing. Both songs sounded great on headphones this morning but sounded very flat through the car speakers on the way home today. I thought something was wrong with my car speakers.

Would you still go to see U2 on this new tour if no songs from before 2000 are played?

First response: shit no.

Second response: maybe one show out of idle curiosity, if the date and venue suited.

I mean, if they did a 2000s/10s set with stuff like The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Fez, Cedarwood Road, and The Troubles in it, that wouldn't be too bad, there'd be some great stuff to enjoy. But I've no interest in hearing the ATYCLB/HTDAAB hits yet again, and the singles thereafter are mostly detritus. The JT30 encore is the most bored I've ever been at a U2 show, and I had to stand through In a Little While on 360.

This album seems entirely mastered for headphones so far. It seems very flat and dull through speakers, but there are a lot of subtle details and the sound somehow richer on headphones. Maybe I’m crazy - anyone else hear it this way?

Overall, very positive first impressions of the new tracks for me. Blackout my standout so far.

Yeah, it sounds incredibly better through headphones.

Would you?

Definitely. In fact, my hope is that the setlist would only be songs from Innocence and Experience, just those two albums period. That would be so cool and so different from anything they have done in the past on other tours.

The biggest concern for me is that u2 seem incapable of seeing what a lot of us fans have been able to which is the fact that the material is just passable at best. They genuinely seem very excited about the new material and seem to think that it's up there with their best work. Edge was interviewed during SOI and said that he felt it was as good as JT. Ridiculous levels of over optimism imo.

I feel that they struggled to distinguish between very good and great from Pop until NLOTH and we ended up with good quality music without it hitting the lofty standards of their earlier masterpieces. Nowadays, they seem to have problems distinguishing average from very good. The bar seems to be getting lower with each album and they don't seem to be able to recognise it.

Last edited:
First response: shit no.

Second response: maybe one show out of idle curiosity, if the date and venue suited.

I mean, if they did a 2000s/10s set with stuff like The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Fez, Cedarwood Road, and The Troubles in it, that wouldn't be too bad, there'd be some great stuff to enjoy. But I've no interest in hearing the ATYCLB/HTDAAB hits yet again, and the singles thereafter are mostly detritus. The JT30 encore is the most bored I've ever been at a U2 show, and I had to stand through In a Little While on 360.

Well, lets narrow it down even more.

How about only songs from Innocence and Experience. Just those two albums. Would you go to see that? I would. It would be so different from any of their prior tours. It would be exciting with all the new stuff.

How about only songs from Innocence and Experience. Just those two albums. Would you go to see that? I would. It would be so different from any of their prior tours. It would be exciting with all the new stuff.

I didn't see the IE Tour, so all songs they could possibly play would be new to me live. So yes, one show out of idle curiosity assuming I did not have to go out of my way to attend.

I would not wish the band do it, though.

Your idea of exciting isnt the same as mine.

These songs (so far) are not for me. They’re for the radio. They’re fine, but I’ll wait for the ache of a Kite that was suggested to be in some of these songs.

A few opinions:

First - I'm of the Achtung/Zooropa/Pop fan club. Love earlier work too, but I gravitate towards those 3. Of the 2000's I thought SOI was a good album that was underscored by the release tactic. Particularly liked the direction of SLABT, The Troubles, but though Iris, Cedarwood Road and EBW were really good additions to the catalogue.

As for what I've heard so far:

The Blackout - I quite like this one. The Facebook stream was a little muddy. I like the album version quite a bit more. There are some really cool sonic elements to it. Probably my favorite studio version of a song from this album.

TBT - Grew on me. Didn't love it at first. But I enjoy listening to it now. Probably not something that is going to stick long term, but a decent track that I'll come back to once and awhile.

GOOYOW - Didn't like it at first listen. Continuing to give it a few more tries and appreciating some of the elements. Remains to be seen.

American Soul - Mixed feelings on this. Initially really like the verses and still do. The rehash of Volcano/Glastonbury is a little odd...but I'm hoping they had a reason for this. Potentially it has to do with the SOI/SOE theme. I agree with some of the comments that if we hadn't heard the previous versions we might appreciate it a bit more. The music and vocal melody of the versus are a good change.

TLTHGYA - I think I'll like this. I hope they figure out the ending a bit more on the album. Great start...and like the energetic end...but seems to get a little sloppy/repetitive towards the end. We'll see.

Overall pretty excited about what I've heard so far. The fact that their are 13 tracks is exciting and we have a lot more to hear.

I'm on Team The Tourist

Your idea of exciting isnt the same as mine.

I still love all the old stuff, but after seeing them 21 times since 1992, having them play just music from their latest two albums would be so radically different from anything they have done before on tour.

Back in 2014, I thought that this was in fact the plan based on things I had heard. I thought Songs Of Experience was going to come out in March 2015 just before the start of the tour.

Yeah, it sounds incredibly better through headphones.

100% this. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it would be a sin not to hear these songs through headphones. They take whole other life when heard on headphones.

Back
Top Bottom