SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #31
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
I have not heard the song yet but unless Bono lets out a massive audible fart while singing "refu-Jesus", it's not going to be worse than the "little old lady" lyric.
"Refu-Jesus" as a portmanteau is pretty much a massive audible fart.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #32
The Fly

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall faulk View Post
This album seems entirely mastered for headphones so far. It seems very flat and dull through speakers, but there are a lot of subtle details and the sound somehow richer on headphones. Maybe I’m crazy - anyone else hear it this way?
I noticed this too. The subtle details and textures are really apparent with headphones - the songs have an overall richer quality. That might seem an obvious thing to say, but it's more than that.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Oh and the Coldplay comparisons... Come up with something better.
Little More or Much More?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 01:37 AM
I'm here to double down on it's "13" cause they're true companion albums to such an extent that Bono's considering them the 13th record.

Don't care if it's true. Don't know what it means.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #35
The Fly

One of my complaints would be that the songs seem sort of muted. I have to listen to them using my headphones pretty much at full volume to get all those textures and subtle details that are really making the songs for me; particularly AS and TB.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Just played both in the car while doing some night driving...

GOOYOW - I don't hate it or mind the Beautiful Day-coatings in places. But I can't stop humming the chorus to The Best Thing over it since it's basically the same progression. I didn't mind the reliance on I–V–vi–IV with SOI too much since the songs were pretty good, but here, it just seems a bit odd to have two songs playing the same thing.

The Blackout - Digging it the more and more I hear it. No super chorus present, but Adam's bass and the vibe seem to make up for it.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Blackout album version still stands up, actually improves, to me and the one I like the best out of the three. I actually also like GOOYOW quite a bit, which surprises me as I generally am more meh about that type of song of theirs. Feels like they finally figured out what to do with the sounds they were germinating with Always. American Soul - not sure what to think about it, while it started off with a lot of potential, the prominent reuse of key elements of Volcano kinda turns me off. I do like the part in the later part of the song (even though that too borrows from Volcano) as well. I need to sit on this one awhile.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #38
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
GOOYOW - I don't hate it or mind the Beautiful Day-coatings in places. But I can't stop humming the chorus to The Best Thing over it since it's basically the same progression. I didn't mind the reliance on I–V–vi–IV with SOI too much since the songs were pretty good, but here, it just seems a bit odd to have two songs playing the same thing.
Yeah, there does seem to be much segueing and linkages between the songs.

The above are numbers 3 & 4 in the track listing.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #39
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Alright.

So is Get Out Of Your Own Way the most inspired pieces of songwriting in the world? No.

But it's good. It's not as much Tedder bullshit as I feared when I started seeing the reviews come in, and if you don't like most of post 2000 U2 then yea, you're going to think this sucks. And I get that.

And those who are like "ehhhrmagad this is the greatest song ever I'm dying" are pretty dumb. coughcoughSilCoughcough

But it's pretty good. I think it's better than Best Thing. It's definitely a push in the All That You Can't Leave Behind direction.

Haven't given American Soul a whirl yet.

I do have hopes that this is going to be a very good album. Not ground breaking, experimental, or on par with Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby... but filled with good, listenable songs.

For some that's a disaster, and I get that. But honestly I'd rather have good songs that aren't necessarily the most ground breaking thing in the world than have a quasi-experimental bull crap like what No Line was.
Well said as usual, I agree.

World Series setlist update: Elecation again? Casuals.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskinsella View Post
The above are numbers 3 & 4 in the track listing.
Huh. Interesting. Now I'm wondering if it was just a happy accident or a way of bonding the tracks somehow, like they're doing with a few other songs on SOE with ones on SOI.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

Okay, I’m just going to be honest: these aren’t very good songs, are they? Like, I guess I’m happy to have a new U2 album, but, like, this is the band that made Bad. Or even BD/COBL/MOS. And now... this? Like, the songs aren’t awful, but they’re just so many tiers removed from what I know U2 are capable of.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #42
Acrobat

To those talking about the songs sounding better/clearer in headphones than on big speakers: you're all correct! These iTunes tracks were all "Mastered for iTunes" meaning they were mixed to sound best on headphones & small speakers (where most people listen). "Mastered for iTunes" tracks are all specifically mastered to sound best on small devices (earbuds, MacBook speakers, etc) which means the files may not sound as loud, clear and "big" on larger/wider speaker setups. The CD or a CD rip will likely sound much better as it won't be mixed down.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Okay, I’m just going to be honest: these aren’t very good songs, are they? Like, I guess I’m happy to have a new U2 album, but, like, this is the band that made Bad. Or even BD/COBL/MOS. And now... this? Like, the songs aren’t awful, but they’re just so many tiers removed from what I know U2 are capable of.
Precisely
Old 11-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #44
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Yep.

What also gets me is how this music blends in sonically with what other prominent mainstream rock bands are producing. One of the things that set U2 apart at the peak of their abilities was how different they were. Nothing on radio in 1987 sounded like WOWY. Plenty of post-punk bands were evolving in new directions in 1984 but none went quite as impressionistic or abstract as UF. Achtung and Zooropa were absolutely not grunge.

Pop was perceived as a bit of trendhopping, but my god, these four songs just disappear into the same sonic space as today's dime-a-dozen radio rock bands. It's more the production than the songs themselves, though the devolution of Bono's lyrics into bland platitudes doesn't help.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep.

What also gets me is how this music blends in sonically with what other prominent mainstream rock bands are producing. One of the things that set U2 apart at the peak of their abilities was how different they were. Nothing on radio in 1987 sounded like WOWY. Plenty of post-punk bands were evolving in new directions in 1984 but none went quite as impressionistic or abstract as UF. Achtung and Zooropa were absolutely not grunge.

Pop was perceived as a bit of trendhopping, but my god, these four songs just disappear into the same sonic space as today's dime-a-dozen radio rock bands. It's more the production than the songs themselves, though the devolution of Bono's lyrics into bland platitudes doesn't help.

"Relevance"