SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unfortunately for B-man, while the offshore tax thing itself is controversial (though legal), looks like things have moved up a gear and the company is now apparently under investigation for possibly breaking local tax laws

he has issued a statement here - feel really bad for the guy :crack:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ntre-profit-tax-investigation-paradise-papers

Some of this stuff is much better than leak puns:

Where the spreadsheets have no name...

Accounting Baby

The first sign that Bono cooks his books was when he counted uno dos tres catorce

South Park is right again!

Kinda undermines what they "give back." They are essentially giving away what should've been taxed and given to society in the first place.

I find it incredible that people focus on those exploiting the broken system, and not the system itself.

Unless there is some sort of global initiative to stamp out tax havens, it will continue to happen - and why shouldn’t it? Global leadership is required.

I'm not sure how being a minor partner in a shopping centre is shady?

If he was a partner in, say, Adani I'd be more concerned.

I'm not sure how being a minor partner in a shopping centre is shady?

If he was a partner in, say, Adani I'd be more concerned.

Yeah I don't think Bono is nefarious. It's just being used to highlight the tax dodging from Ireland to Netherlands. Some of it is Bono's own mouth. When you criticize others you have to look at yourself first. Hypocrisy is part of human nature because the upper and lower brain can go in different directions. I'm sure he does personal charity beyond helping Africa.

When you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

On top of the fact there are other producers that aren't chopped liver.

https://twitter.com/u2/status/839825647555985409?lang=en

C6eo-AKWAAAS8NV.jpg

When one is assuming they make an Ass out of u and Ming!

Last edited:
Once again, why are we assuming "record" means "album", particularly when he linked to a single track?

Because who the hell uses "record" to mean anything other than "album" except that fucking odd Grammy category?

Ok, you can think what you want. He posted a spotify clip and mentioned hitting repeat over and over. There's no basis to read that as him talking about the entire album.

Ok, you can think what you want. He posted a spotify clip and mentioned hitting repeat over and over. There's no basis to read that as him talking about the entire album.

You've posted the "record doesn't have to mean album!" thing a couple of times now, and while you're technically right, it is sometimes used to mean something else, that's bloody uncommon. When somebody says "hey, I listened to a really cool new record today", you'd normally assume they mean an album, right? Same deal here.

Also, I'd suggest that with the exclusion of a few lunatics here (of which I have been one), barely anyone is repeating an individual U2 song over and over again, but whacking an album on repeat is not an unusual thing to do.

Maybe if he produced just one song on SOE he could mean record = song, but he's produced much more than that. He most likely means the whole album, and he's shared a sample of it.

Could very well be but don't you find someone investing money in a Lithuanian shopping centre really random and dodgy. Why would you even think about investing into a Lithuanian shopping center. It's that random and odd it's sounds abit fishy to me.

Just imagine the conversation, well today I'm gonna invest million of pounds into a shopping center in Lithuania :) it's not your average every day investment is it.

The uk in general hate Bono, like really hate him. This will fuel that fire even more. It will blow over and Bono will still me hated

Exactly right. He'd be hated either way. If it wasn't this, it would be something else. It's just, as someone else mentioned, the idiots who blindly hated Bono, got what they thought was an issue of substance to hang their hats on when the Netherlands thing broke in 2006.

As for Lithuania......The former Soviet block, in 2005, was emerging from the chaos that was the 1990s transition to capitalism. It had been feeding frenzy with no rules for anyone- except the oligarchs who made them up as they saw fit. By 2005, rules were in place, there was talk of a lot of those countries joining the EU and Putin either wasn't or wasn't perceived to be anywhere near the threat to Europe and the world that he is today.

Eastern Europe was showing incredible promise at the time in much of the investing world. Probably second only to Brazil. Anyone managing money for someone of Bono's level of wealth would've looked at investing there at that time.

Basically this.

In general it's ridiculous that someone who has spent so much time physically lending aid (which shows a commitment far beyond simply writing checks) is going to be called out as a hypocrite. He and the band have so much money, it's not a surprise that a lot of it is invested in various ventures, and that some of them might be shadier than others.

It's not like he's exploiting or profiting off the countries and people his charity organizations are helping. That would be legit hypocrisy.

100% this.

That physical part of Bono's work- going to Africa for weeks at a time, visiting refugee camps and dragging policymakers with him, coming to DC and testifying before Congress on the refugee crisis. We could go on. That is always so overlooked. He cares so little about the causes his accountant just writes checks to that he spends all this time and energy when he could be doing literally anything else.

Who do people think pays for this? Them through their taxes? Bono pulling money out of charities? Of course not. It's out of his own pocket. Travel, food, etc. Of course, it's a drop in the bucket for him, but not the point. That's to say nothing of the clearly immense amount of homework he does on the issues. He expects to be held to the same standard as anyone else who formally testifies before Congress. It's not like the myriad of celebrities who pop off some vague "resistance for the women and the poor and human kind" type statement as they run by a microphone.

To me, Wilbur Ross has off shore havens that are exploitative. Loopholes, illegal shelters, etc. Bono (with the other 3 and Paul) did something anyone can do on google. They compared international tax rates on royalties and found the Netherlands to be the most advantageous to them. So they headquartered, physically, there. All above board. No shady dealings. No one paid off. No one going to jail. Ross's Bank of Cyprus, I believe, will send many people to jail and will likely bring down Trump or at least play a major role in it. apples and oranges.

Also, since the band members remain residents of Ireland, they pay personal income tax and value added tax to the Irish government. They're probably 4 of the top taxpayers to the Irish government. Plus the business ventures in Dublin (The Clarence, etc) pay taxes as well.

Does all this mean people have to agree with Bono's financial moves? Of course not. However, they are objectively not sketchy, illegal or hypocritical. Nor did any tax benefit they reaped come from special favors or connections.

Tweet we will never see from a U2 producer: "A year ago we had a fantastic version of this. And it would've received great reviews. You'll probably never hear it. That's reality though."

Tweet we will never see from a U2 producer: "A year ago we had a fantastic version of this. And it would've received great reviews. You'll probably never hear it. That's reality though."

Let's get Danger Mouse super drunk.

Would you feel compelled to go and school people on reddit? Who cares what they think, and undoubtably a U2 defender/crusader that goes there to poke holes in their arguments is going to get brutally flamed.

People have strong opinions, and facts and logic do not factor in them changing their minds. It is a fruitless exercise.

Hater hate, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom