SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Oh and the Coldplay comparisons... Come up with something better.

Say what you will about Bono's post 2000 lyrics, but Chris Martin has the lyrics of a 3rd grader and always has.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow Loris View Post
What I found from the web on - according to Bono - the best drum break of any U2 song ever during the recording of Songs of Experience. The song is 'Civilisation'. Described here as, "tense and heavy," and as a, "surefire album opener." What ever happened to this song?!?!
Pretty sure Civilization became The Blackout.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Get Out of Your Own Way is so generic. I have no particularly strong opinion on it really. I think I've played it five times now, maybe six, and I'm still just left with no particular impression of much. It's a song that sounds like 2000s U2, no more and no less.

But it's so ridiculous that they released it on Spotify with half of the transition to American Soul and then an abrupt ending. It sounds awful, and they should have used an edit.

I'm not a big fan of that transition with Kendrick, but it works OK enough. American Soul could be decent but it's completely undermined by the chorus and the REFU-JESUS lyric, which gives the little old lady in Stand Up Comedy a run for its money as the most embarrassing U2 lyric ever. What was Bono thinking, and how did the band and the entire city of producers and engineers around them let it through?

The Blackout is definitely the best song of the five we know so far. It's got some genuinely good rock moments, positively memorable qualities that are worth returning to. It's no classic but it's easily one of the better songs from the last few albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywa1979 View Post
Thank you - someone who actually gets it!
You keep policing the forum, you forum cop, you.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #19
The Fly

American Soul is by far the best of the 3 new tracks. Its the most vibrant, dirty, rock song we've had in a while, and the lyrics are great, a direct commentary on America today and it could/should be.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Headache. Said perfectly. Agreed on all your points.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #21
War Child

I agree with Axver about the abrupt cut-off on GOOYOW. It's ridiculous and unprofessional.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd also like to add that the list for the DC show is still ongoing. I'm #1, Irvine is #2, Amp is #4238, and every other number is still up for grabs.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #23
The Fly

This album seems entirely mastered for headphones so far. It seems very flat and dull through speakers, but there are a lot of subtle details and the sound somehow richer on headphones. Maybe I’m crazy - anyone else hear it this way?

Overall, very positive first impressions of the new tracks for me. Blackout my standout so far.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Alright.

So is Get Out Of Your Own Way the most inspired pieces of songwriting in the world? No.

But it's good. It's not as much Tedder bullshit as I feared when I started seeing the reviews come in, and if you don't like most of post 2000 U2 then yea, you're going to think this sucks. And I get that.

And those who are like "ehhhrmagad this is the greatest song ever I'm dying" are pretty dumb. coughcoughSilCoughcough

But it's pretty good. I think it's better than Best Thing. It's definitely a push in the All That You Can't Leave Behind direction.

Haven't given American Soul a whirl yet.

I do have hopes that this is going to be a very good album. Not ground breaking, experimental, or on par with Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby... but filled with good, listenable songs.

For some that's a disaster, and I get that. But honestly I'd rather have good songs that aren't necessarily the most ground breaking thing in the world than have a quasi-experimental bull crap like what No Line was.
agreed for the most part. i'm not sure how i'd rank the songs yet.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #25
Refugee

Get Out - hits the sweet spot of ATYCLB uplift. Doesn't really reinvent the wheel, but I'm a fan. The Kendrick cutoff will annoy till the end of time however.

American Soul - only one listen, but underwhelmed. Verse and instrumentation was cool, but the chorus sounded like reheated leftovers - which is too bad because it's so much of the song. Wish they went with a new idea. Maybe it'll work better in album context

The Blackout - miss the huge drums, but love the grove and the minimalism.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #26
Refugee

SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall faulk View Post
This album seems entirely mastered for headphones so far. It seems very flat and dull through speakers, but there are a lot of subtle details and the sound somehow richer on headphones. Maybe I’m crazy - anyone else hear it this way?

Overall, very positive first impressions of the new tracks for me. Blackout my standout so far.

I did notice a considerable difference in sound in comparison to the car and from just playing it off of my phone speaker. Could have been on purpose given that people listen to music more on/from their phones now a days but headphones tune everything else out so it could just be in our heads.

I need some more fucking Edge though guys. Just when you think he's going to shine through it's like someone on the mixing board is zapped "now not too much like a rock band jolyon"!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

seems to be 30 second previews here
https://musique.fnac.com/a11134712/U...ateAudioPlayer

the player is giving me an error though
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #28
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Oh and the Coldplay comparisons... Come up with something better.

Say what you will about Bono's post 2000 lyrics, but Chris Martin has the lyrics of a 3rd grader and always has.
Yeah, I agree. I know the comparisons started with "Look, Coldplay are imitating U2 AGAIN" back in the mid/late-2000s but it has to stop. Coldplay are not and will never be U2. Not commercially, not sonically, not culturally. Not hating on them, but it's akin to me saying "You know what I love about soccer? How similar it is to scrapbooking."
Old 11-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #29
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
American Soul could be decent but it's completely undermined by the chorus and the REFU-JESUS lyric, which gives the little old lady in Stand Up Comedy a run for its money as the most embarrassing U2 lyric ever. What was Bono thinking, and how did the band and the entire city of producers and engineers around them let it through?

I have not heard the song yet but unless Bono lets out a massive audible fart while singing "refu-Jesus", it's not going to be worse than the "little old lady" lyric.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #30
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall faulk View Post

This! I heard TBT on my car speakers and was not impressed at all. Then I bought it and listed on headphones and I heard so many new sounds and backing vocals it was like a completely different song(not completely but definitely enhanced).