SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The performance occurred about an hour ago, so it should show up soon. Bono wore the hat. He looks ridiculous.

What is with bonos dress sence at the moment?

Both the hat and round shaped glassess he has been wearing lately look so old fashioned. I though U2 were trying to still look cool fresh and trendy and not a heritage act?

I wouldn't expect a leak so soon even if a random person has a copy. Albums rarely leak early these days and if they do, it's usually a matter of a couple days early. Just trying to set expectations.

I wouldn't expect a leak so soon even if a random person has a copy. Albums rarely leak early these days and if they do, it's usually a matter of a couple days early. Just trying to set expectations.
Ahh, good man. Keeping things in check.

You're the Best Thing About Us, Mikal.

I guess what I'm coming around to is that if Achtung Baby was the record where U2 didn't need the pop kids, this is the record where they do.

I'm not a pop kid, so I'm almost certainly not the target. I can handle that.

I'm convinced there'll be another album of sorts after this. And in the last 10 years U2 created Soon, Moment if Surrender, Cedars, Sleep Like a Baby, The Troubles. These guys still have it.

That twitter description has me resigned to not being the target. That's ok. U2 never called me and promised me a personal album tailored to my own taste. They kinda already spent 15 years doing that earlier in their career.

So bring on this derivative auto-tuned poppy album. I'll like bits (the second half of Little Things I LOVE) and I'll dislike bits (the first and second half of American Cliche).

Still my fave band. Fingers crossed they find what they're looking for.

Why is it so hard to understand that these are companion albums and they wanted specific sonic and theme links between them?

If this reduces your enjoyment, you’re an idiot.
Because there's a three year gap.

I get it and understand, and it doesn't bother me... but the three year gap is odd for companion albums with shared themes.

Damn, it sounds like the riff from the Fender video is not on the album. Argghchchghghgh, I love the sound of that riff + chorus with Bongloneese at the end of the video and have been hoping to hear it as a finished song. What a bummer.

Also, though nothing is ever for sure with this band, I don't think this is the last record. I think they will be keen to market whatever that last record/tour might be as such, and nothing so far about the tour/album promotion has suggested that. (yet)

The leaker also mentions Bono's letter on the sleeve, and that he references his "brush with mortality" and while he doesn't give any specifics, thanks the "great physicians". Hmm.

And that performance is lol

Damn, it sounds like the riff from the Fender video is not on the album. Argghchchghghgh, I love the sound of that riff + chorus with Bongloneese at the end of the video and have been hoping to hear it as a finished song. What a bummer.

Also, though nothing is ever for sure with this band, I don't think this is the last record. I think they will be keen to market whatever that last record/tour might be as such, and nothing so far about the tour/album promotion has suggested that. (yet)

The leaker also mentions Bono's letter on the sleeve, and that he references his "brush with mortality" and while he doesn't give any specifics, thanks the "great physicians". Hmm.

Hooooow do you know it isn't on the album?

He was asked and he said:
Blake Dover‏ @doverwb 8h
Is this tune on the album anywhere?

Saul O'Enigma‏ @SoE_nigma 2h
From the last min or so? Nope, nothing that I could place. There's a similar guitar tone in Lights of Home but a completely different riff.

Bono had man flu.

I guess what I'm coming around to is that if Achtung Baby was the record where U2 didn't need the pop kids, this is the record where they do.

I am getting tired of people recycling this Bono comment from 25+ years ago to describe how U2 'has failed' them now. Because even back then, they needed those pop kids. Bono might've made that remark but that was when Achtung Baby was already a big success and when the pop kids were still on board with them.
Just before Achtung Baby was released, Bono was a lot less secure about it all. He claimed to a Dutch music critic that, if the album would not turn out what they wanted it to be, U2 might be around much longer. And who knows what would've happened if it hadn't been a commercial success.

In the end, it's very easy to say you don't need the 'pop kids' when you're successful. Until the moment they also don't support you anymore, then it'll be time to reassess your position.
(Even Larry said in an interview some years ago that he didn't care much for all the acclaim U2 got, until all the criticism came during the Pop period. Then he realized he did value it after all. And that it felt good when respect was given for Beautiful Day and its success.)

In the end, U2 always needed/wanted the pop kids, even when they said they didn't.

I just want that one song on the album where I hear genuine heartache from Bono in a song (Kite, SYCMIOYO, Iris). It’s all heavy subject matter for him and he has this long letter in the liner notes but I haven’t heard it from him yet in the songs.

Well, I'm glad that these are none of the songs we've heard thus far! (even though I'm mostly on board with what's been released)
Yeah sample size of one etc etc but I am a little relieved to read this

Back
Top Bottom