SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #241
The Fly

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
I agree 100%, but I also have a feeling that the writing process has changed significantly over the last 20 years and that has altered how they go about the entire recording process as well - which may make using just one producer/production team more difficult.

There's been so much talk in recent years about songs needing to be good enough to be able to be played with just an acoustic guitar... Regardless of intention behind this sentiment (HITS!!!) this, to me, implies that Edge and Bono (with his relatively new approach to having completed lyrics before recording) are sitting down the two of them and hashing out songs for a good portion of what has made up the majority of their output since the turn of the century. I'm not saying they never did this before, but songs like Bad, AIWIY, WOWY and even One definitely all came from dicking around with a riff or something.

What I'm getting at, is that this form of writing - for U2, at least - might actually necessitate as many producers as possible so that each song gets its own approach. Whereas Eno and Lanois more or less create a sonic landscape for an entire body of work, the Tedder/Lillywhite/Jacknife/etc. crew focus on a sonic something-or-other for one piece of a larger collection.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not defending the multi-producer approach, but this is how I've come to rationalize it.
Great post.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm a giant asshole, truthfully

Old 11-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #243
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
I'm a giant asshole, truthfully
Old 11-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #244
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:24 PM
I posted this elsewhere, but it fits here, too:

Unless they change their attitude/approach regarding new music, I don't think we'll see anything we could all comfortably call "great" from them again. But you know what? I'm okay with that. It doesn't frustrate me as much as it does others (I mean, it does a *little* - they're such a frustrating bunch of chuckleheads). They've given us a ton of great stuff; everything else is just gravy at this point.

As long as I like the new stuff a reasonable amount, I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised by hidden gems on the album. That's how SOI rolled with me, and I fully expect SOE to be the same way.

I have to step back from the forum or social media once in a while when a stream of (often hyperbolic) negativity gets to be a drag, but that's on me, not someone else's opinions.

Considering how much I loved the I&E tour, I'm looking forward to this one as well. hoping for PNW dates when a second US leg is announced.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #245
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I posted this elsewhere, but it fits here, too:

Unless they change their attitude/approach regarding new music, I don't think we'll see anything we could all comfortably call "great" from them again. But you know what? I'm okay with that. It doesn't frustrate me as much as it does others (I mean, it does a *little* - they're such a frustrating bunch of chuckleheads). They've given us a ton of great stuff; everything else is just gravy at this point.

As long as I like the new stuff a reasonable amount, I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised by hidden gems on the album. That's how SOI rolled with me, and I fully expect SOE to be the same way.

I have to step back from the forum or social media once in a while when a stream of (often hyperbolic) negativity gets to be a drag, but that's on me, not someone else's opinions.

Considering how much I loved the I&E tour, I'm looking forward to this one as well. hoping for PNW dates when a second US leg is announced.
Pssht yea they really need another PNW show to have Eddie Vedder mumble all over some random encore song. Can't you think of the people in Antarctica?

What... I thought this is what we were doing now?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Oh Laz is an asshole. And I say that with love. He's certainly great to converse with and was actually a defender of SOI when it first came out.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #247
War Child

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Strangely enough I am finding the more conventional pop songs of Get Out....and The Best Thing more satisfying than Blackout and American Soul. Maybe it's because there is no identity crises with them - they are what they are, and the band is not hiding the fact that they are obvious attempts to replicate the success of Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc. I feel like American Soul and Blackout are sort of dorky attempts to be cool and gritty - maybe Blackout less so, beside the stupid name couplets. Blackout and American Soul need a bit more dirt on their faces to be truly visceral and punchy as rockers. I can't help to think that they are sort of laminated versions of the cool rock song.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #248
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Pssht yea they really need another PNW show to have Eddie Vedder mumble all over some random encore song.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #249
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Oh Laz is an asshole.

Thanks, I didn't want to have to write that reply myself!
Old 11-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Not a straw man argument when i see post after post saying that they just aren't the band they were in 80's or the 90's, they need their old producers, etc...

And I never said people have lost perspective because they "don't like the songs that i do". I'm saying there needs to be perspective of how the band has changed over 4 decades. You can't say - But BAD! But One! But WOWY! But Streets! etc... these aren't anywhere near those!!!
Which is my whole point. We are 30-35 years on and to compare them like apples to apples is foolish.

I apologize if my post came off too one sided. Just trying to remind everyone why we are all here in the first place. The band means something to us and we may have wade through some shit, to get to the pearls.
Now see, the way you put it here, I mostly agree with. I'm glad you took the time to refine and clarify your remarks. It's all good.

Though let me know when you find one of those pearls.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #251
Refugee

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Ok, I feel like I can weigh in a bit now. Last night, i quickly scrolled through comments on several threads. Tons of negativity and the overall theme of "why of why can't U2 be making great music like they used to" stuff. I was really bummed. A lot of comments by members that you never see around here, but just swooped in to take a dump.

Fuck man. It sounds like a bunch of old people on rocking chairs wondering why kids are wearing their pants so low! In MY day we had suspenders!!!

Are we seriously wondering why a band isn't making the same music they were making 20, 30, hell, FORTY YEARS AGO?!?!?!?! Forty years man. That is not a small amount of time.

You do realize that we actually still have this band because they aren't making music like they did 30 years ago! If they had stayed on a certain path, they would have been GONE long ago. They continually changed things up, and yes, some of those changes I liked better than others. And of course you will too! But I didn't throw in the towel with Rattle and Hum or Pop or HTDAAB (i was close) or No Line.
Each album, although flawed, brings me something great, something i still can't find with another band in the same way.
And sticking through some pretty bleak and blah times, brought me to SOI, which I really love and appreciate.

So, yes, i struggle with some moments both musically and lyrically in each album, especially post-2000. But to be fair I think we have canonized and put past albums on such a pedestal, that any new stuff just gets an initial heap of scrutiny and cynicism that probably isn't really that fair.

The band is using new production techniques, new producers, new songwriting styles than they did decades ago. Yes, that's life. and sometimes we like it and sometimes we don't. But it also doesn't make it THE WORST SONG EVER CREATED!!! OOOOHHH MYYYYY GOOOOODDD, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?!?!?!

It would be like me sitting at work and saying - You guys go ahead and fiddle your MacBook Pro's, I'm doing JUST fine with my Brother II Word Processor thank you very much!!

I gladly welcome criticism of this band. In fact i love that we have opinions all over the place. But I think some perspective is being lost.

Are U2 making music like they did 20-30 years ago? no not really, although in some ways yes (ie. The Blackout, SLABT, EBW, RBW - even Get out sounds like it could have been on the18 year old ATYCLB)

Are they churning out consistently utter shit? Nope

Are they churning out consistintly utter classics? Nope

Are they still capable of giving us greatness, even if it might but up against some not so great stuff?
Definitely.
Just catching up with this thread.

I pretty much agree with every word in this post. I'm not sure if I'm one of those critics you're referring to or not. But in essence I agree with you.

And I am enjoying this ride. I forced my wife to done the headphones and listen to the new songs last night. I love U2. Always will. And I love this time in the cycle.

And I think ned/fred/refujesus should have been put in the toilet and flushed. I really truly did stop the Get Out playback before the lamar part because I felt embarrassed and didn't want my wife to hear it.

I'm excited, appreciative, impressed and critical. All at the same time. That's ok isn't it?
Old 11-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Just catching up with this thread.

I pretty much agree with every word in this post. I'm not sure if I'm one of those critics you're referring to or not. But in essence I agree with you.

And I am enjoying this ride. I forced my wife to done the headphones and listen to the new songs last night. I love U2. Always will. And I love this time in the cycle.

And I think ned/fred/refujesus should have been put in the toilet and flushed. I really truly did stop the Get Out playback before the lamar part because I felt embarrassed and didn't want my wife to hear it.

I'm excited, appreciative, impressed and critical. All at the same time. That's ok isn't it?
Yeah, i think i spouted off a little too much there for my own good. I was a bit of a hypocritical d**k, but I was only trying to say, we all are here for the same reason, that we have love for this band.

And beyond that, i should care less if people get worked up and bitch about a couple songs.

I'm with you. I stick with the band, through every turn.
I had my wife listen to The Troubles and SLABT last time cause i loved them so much. But so far, I have that same feeling where, those couple of head-shaking lyric choices by bono give me pause to even share. She's not a fan and likes to joke about the band with me. Yes they are old. LOL.

anyway. Can't wait to hear more. a month is a long time!!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #253
Blue Crack Distributor

the various editions are now up on Amazon for pre-order.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #254
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleblackeye View Post
Strangely enough I am finding the more conventional pop songs of Get Out....and The Best Thing more satisfying than Blackout and American Soul. Maybe it's because there is no identity crises with them - they are what they are, and the band is not hiding the fact that they are obvious attempts to replicate the success of Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc. I feel like American Soul and Blackout are sort of dorky attempts to be cool and gritty - maybe Blackout less so, beside the stupid name couplets. Blackout and American Soul need a bit more dirt on their faces to be truly visceral and punchy as rockers. I can't help to think that they are sort of laminated versions of the cool rock song.

This

New rock songs somehow feel forced
Pop songs sound easy. They are what they are and it's fine.
Blackout and AS to me send like them trying on a rock sound, but in its essence it's pure pop - and somehow they feel insincere to me. Fake and throwaway

Maybe I'll like them more later
Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #255
ONE
love, blood, life

So are there 30 second samples anywhere?