SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #211
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The "this is the worst thing ever created" posts are equally as bad as the "this is the greatest thing ever, ehhhrmagad U2 can do no wrong" posts.

Both are nauseating in their own special way.

As I said before, after one listen of Get Out (which admittedly, was not on headphones but in my car when BBC 2 Radio premiered it), I'd rank it below Boots and Miracle but above SUC and Cock Crazy. I'd say the same for Best Thing. So perhaps that's not "worst thing EVAR" but in the bottom 5 of official album tracks along with a couple disposable October songs that I couldn't even hum for you if you named the titles.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #212
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i think it's clear when people are fairly criticizing the music vs criticizing for the joy of mocking others and as a means to flatter themselves.
Ain't that the truth

Old 11-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #213
Blue Crack Supplier

It's hard not to mock people who post (or tweet) about openly weeping at the beauty and majesty of Get Out the day it's released, or whatever.

Sorry not sorry.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #214
Blue Crack Distributor

You're being Sily
Old 11-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #215
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It's hard not to mock people who post (or tweet) about openly weeping at the beauty and majesty of Get Out the day it's released, or whatever.

Sorry not sorry.

GO Out of Yaweh is heavenly
Old 11-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Somehow I keep missing these "This is the worst thing ever created posts".

So you missed COBLs post in the GOOYOW thread where he congratulated TBT for no longer being the worst song ever now that GOOYOW has come around?

There were also a couple others who made similar statements. That’s not to say their opinion is wrong as it’s their opinion but rather that there are posts(several) about this song or that song or SOE being the worst since or ever.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #217
The Fly

It feesl like a lot of people would like U2 to go in the studio with 1 mantra "No compromise"

Just like Zooropa.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, I would just like them to go into the studio with one producer or team and stick with it. Don't use talented artists like Eno/Lanois or Danger Mouse and then replace them with hitmakers to butcher finished tracks or write newer, more accessible ones. I don't think that equals "no compromise".
Old 11-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
So you missed COBLs post in the GOOYOW thread where he congratulated TBT for no longer being the worst song ever now that GOOYOW has come around?

There were also a couple others who made similar statements. That’s not to say their opinion is wrong as it’s their opinion but rather that there are posts(several) about this song or that song or SOE being the worst since or ever.
I've seen a lot of "U2's worst single" or "worst first single" ever stuff (which isn't an unreasonable opinion frankly). Even people who just flat out can't stand the songs. But I haven't seen anyone say that these songs are the worst things ever created....and obviously if they did, that's hyperbole.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #220
ONE
love, blood, life

We should rank interference based upon how cool they are.

Like, a popularity contest.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
You're responding to strawman arguments that no one is making.

No, you don't. If you did, you wouldn't have posted this rant. You would have just respected that other people have different opinions than you, and not questioned their reasoning or suggested that they've "lost perspective" because they don't like songs that you do.
Not a straw man argument when i see post after post saying that they just aren't the band they were in 80's or the 90's, they need their old producers, etc...

And I never said people have lost perspective because they "don't like the songs that i do". I'm saying there needs to be perspective of how the band has changed over 4 decades. You can't say - But BAD! But One! But WOWY! But Streets! etc... these aren't anywhere near those!!!
Which is my whole point. We are 30-35 years on and to compare them like apples to apples is foolish.

I apologize if my post came off too one sided. Just trying to remind everyone why we are all here in the first place. The band means something to us and we may have to wade through some shit, to get to the pearls.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #222
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
It feesl like a lot of people would like U2 to go in the studio with 1 mantra "No compromise"

Just like Zooropa.
This is propably where a lot of the dissapointment comes from, because they propably do not compromise, but this is propably just the kind of songs they want to make.
In a lot of the interviews they are always telling that they want to be writing 'happy' pop songs, songs they can play at an campfire on an acoustic guitar etc.
Adams favorite song is back to life for fuck sake if i remember correctly. They just love popsongs a lot.
And bad for an example is propably unplayable or not interesting on just an acoustic guitar.
If we want to blame anybody for this..we propably have to blame Rick Rubin..Who told them they havent written 'real songs' and they have to try to come in the studio with finished songs etc.
And ryan redder isnt really helping neither

I do not mind Gooyow..its really not a bad pop song. The best thing is debatable
Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #223
Blue Crack Supplier

Not sure how you can say they're not compromising when they have a merry go round of producers tinkering with the work of others.

As for Womanfish's assertion about people wanting them to go back to old producers, I think most of us here thought that Danger Mouse was a refreshing and great choice. But they couldn't resist messing with the results. That's the problem. Not "do it like you used to" but "let your producer see a project through to the end".
Old 11-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #224
The Fly

Quote:

Sorry not sorry.
Not sure why so many people here seem to specifically target: "There's someone happy, let's tear them down."

There's so many awful things in the world...seems like the bare minimum of decency and humanity would be, if you see someone who's happy, who's enjoying something, even if it's something you actively, profoundly dislike, the human response should be, "Well, it's not for me, but I'm glad for you that you found something new to bring a bit of joy into your life and make it just a bit better than it was before."

Maybe that's a hard thing to do...though I doubt it.

I know you don't like the new songs, at least not to the level of some of the other people on here...but I don't know what kind of person sees someone happy and thinks, "My first goal is to mock them and make them feel foolish for feeling happy. That's clearly the best thing I could do with my time today."
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Not sure how you can say they're not compromising when they have a merry go round of producers tinkering with the work of others.

As for Womanfish's assertion about people wanting them to go back to old producers, I think most of us here thought that Danger Mouse was a refreshing and great choice. But they couldn't resist messing with the results. That's the problem. Not "do it like you used to" but "let your producer see a project through to the end".
Has any production person or duo/whatever seen a project through to the very end in recent memory though? I know Lillywhite is known for helping out at the end, etc. Maybe ATYCLB was somewhat close to that, but that's about it for the more current albums.

As for Danger Mouse, I seem to remember a bit of "Who is he?" and skepticism about him not too long after the initial announcement. Or at least a lot of unknown opinions re: him. Not saying there wasn't anyone saying otherwise, but I don't really think people were that excited about him until he was listed as a sole production credit on stuff like SLABT and The Troubles, and thereafter had the street cred around here.