SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the solo on SFS is just a rehash of the previous one, maybe that makes it worse but the song surrounding it isn't nearly as obnoxious.

Add me to the list of people that find Crazy Tonight tolerable. Perhaps I only tolerate it so much because the 2 songs that follow it I find absolutely dreadful, GOYB and SUC. To me, those are 2 of U2's worst moments. Crazy Tonight is simply pleasant pop drivel by comparison.

i've just listened again to Kite live from sydney 2006, from the window in the skies single...
this is one of my personal live favorites i really hope that at least one song of SoE could beat that because it is fucking amazing

The Aussie “Kite” might be my favorite thing U2 has done this century — Cate Blanchette shout out aside. And I think a top 5 Edge moment.

It’s been my wish for 11 years that we get an album full of that kind of soaring heartache. That’s what I want from an aging U2 — still miserable bastards after all these years.

The Aussie “Kite” might be my favorite thing U2 has done this century — Cate Blanchette shout out aside. And I think a top 5 Edge moment.

It’s been my wish for 11 years that we get an album full of that kind of soaring heartache. That’s what I want from an aging U2 — still miserable bastards after all these years.
Indeed.

I'd love to get a quality recording of it minus the stupid Cate Blanchet part. Does anyone know if there's an IEM or anything?

This is my wish as well. I would love to see Kite. Doubt it would be as epic as that. The Solo. Bono. Its oerfect.

GOOYOW is spades better than Crazy Tonight...and I like that song...:yes:

I have to say, I know U2 are still trying for that 'radio hit' but these songs seem fresher, less forced than anything on the past few albums. I'm probably completely crazy, or blinded by my fandom, but they feel right to me this time...and I hear all the talk about production, but the production seems more refined and less pandering than SOI. I dunno, I guess I just really like these songs so far.

With Reggie 100% - haven’t listened to SOI much at all since release - nothing really connected with me as a 90s die/blowhard but the 4 new tracks have a conviction I’m pleasantly surprised by

GOOYOW is really quite intricately constructed and the melody is very strong - doesn’t waste a second

BLACKOUT - has an ache and a groan sonically that is really encouraging -I like that they went a bit motorik with the mix and didn’t go straight up rock - still shows a bit of ambition

AMERICAN SOUL- stepping outside the (slightly hysterical) response to the refu-jeesus line and the recycled riff this has a definite .....atmosphere? The John Carpenter synths are to die for - and amongst the peaks and troughs it properly grooves. Multi-layered second half of the second verse is excellent. A million miles from previous lame attempts at classic rock like SUC (for me)....

BEST THING - indie disco but honest in the sentiment and execution (and the Edge’s bridge gets as close to ecstatic as they have done for many a year)

With a few good deeper cuts SOE could still actually be a remarkable late return to form?

Will prob hate myself in the morning - and get the generalised disappointment at the immediate lack of anything ‘yearning’ or ‘epic’ so far but hope it actually might be misplaced for once....

For me, the overly negative seems to focus almost entirely on Bono’s lyrics. The production is jarring at first, but after a few listens, it seems to make sense.

Blueeddy’s point above about AS is well taken, if this is this album’s LAPOE, or SUC - there is so much more going on, and it is far better musically.

Lyrically, I think we need to appreciate this album as a whole before getting too down on it.

For me, the overly negative seems to focus almost entirely on Bono’s lyrics. The production is jarring at first, but after a few listens, it seems to make sense.

Blueeddy’s point above about AS is well taken, if this is this album’s LAPOE, or SUC - there is so much more going on, and it is far better musically.

Lyrically, I think we need to appreciate this album as a whole before getting too down on it.
Christ that's a perspective I'm struggling for.
Blackout, to a degree, and Best Thing, to a degree, annoy me lyrically. I've said it enough here.
American Soul I actually can't get through. I can't even make it as far as refu-jesus.
I'm not shitting on anyone else's happy vibes. I'm ecstatic for its fans. Dabiggest is such a cool cherry character around here, I'm stoked he's just unwrapped a new U2 song he likes.
For me the lyrics are a wall I can't get past.

Yet i really like Get Out and have a lot of hope for Little Things...

I do utterly live this part of a U2 album cycle, and I don't need to love or understand every new song for that to be the case.

There's only one person in here trying to castrate dissenting views. In general I think this forum is kicking ass this week!

Christ that's a perspective I'm struggling for.
Blackout, to a degree, and Best Thing, to a degree, annoy me lyrically. I've said it enough here.
American Soul I actually can't get through. I can't even make it as far as refu-jesus.
I'm not shitting on anyone else's happy vibes. I'm ecstatic for its fans. Dabiggest is such a cool cherry character around here, I'm stoked he's just unwrapped a new U2 song he likes.
For me the lyrics are a wall I can't get past.

Yet i really like Get Out and have a lot of hope for Little Things...

I do utterly live this part of a U2 album cycle, and I don't need to love or understand every new song for that to be the case.

There's only one person in here trying to castrate dissenting views. In general I think this forum is kicking ass this week!

Agreed re the forum kicking arse. That poster you are talking about is worse than the people they are attacking. Blind, lazy hatred is expected around here - this band have had so many incarnations that it is not likely that people who loved the band because of their 80s output will be drawn to this music automatically. Blind, lazy love for these songs is more annoying, because there are some objective elements here impossible to ignore - Bono’s lyrics have become far more literal, for example. Now - if you prefer this style of lyric, then own that opinion. But you can’t laud it on one hand, and then abuse others for claiming they don’t like it because it is too literal. Those people are engaging in a far more thoughtful analysis.

All that said, I am enjoying having new music, like all the songs very much, and am able to also acknowledge that Bono’s lyrics just aren’t what they were. I fully accept my love for the band blinds me when it comes to enjoying new music, but I own that, and am at peace with it.

Agreed re the forum kicking arse. That poster you are talking about is worse than the people they are attacking. Blind, lazy hatred is expected around here - this band have had so many incarnations that it is not likely that people who loved the band because of their 80s output will be drawn to this music automatically. Blind, lazy love for these songs is more annoying, because there are some objective elements here impossible to ignore - Bono’s lyrics have become far more literal, for example. Now - if you prefer this style of lyric, then own that opinion. But you can’t laud it on one hand, and then abuse others for claiming they don’t like it because it is too literal. Those people are engaging in a far more thoughtful analysis.

All that said, I am enjoying having new music, like all the songs very much, and am able to also acknowledge that Bono’s lyrics just aren’t what they were. I fully accept my love for the band blinds me when it comes to enjoying new music, but I own that, and am at peace with it.
Excuse me Dan??? I am worse than the people I attack? I never ever called anyone names or insinuated they are not true fans because they don't like these songs. Please find a post I wrote in which i attacked someone personally. If you read my posts I bitch a lot about people comparing u2 of old to new u2 and that's unfortunate because if you do, yes you will be disappointed. But where have I actually attacked people? Comming from you I am very surprised that you think I am such a hateful person! Thanks!

And look at the ratings I gave these songs.... Just FYI I would rate Fly a 20! I don't exactly BLINDLY love these songs! I like them intact I enjoy them. I never said they were the best thing since AB or JT or ever. Please don't tell me I blindly love new u2 music.

Excuse me Dan??? I am worse than the people I attack? I never ever called anyone names or insinuated they are not true fans because they don't like these songs. Please find a post I wrote in which i attacked someone personally. If you read my posts I bitch a lot about people comparing u2 of old to new u2 and that's unfortunate because if you do, yes you will be disappointed. But where have I actually attacked people? Comming from you I am very surprised that you think I am such a hateful person! Thanks!

I don't think Dan's referring to you, man. Don't worry, we all love ya! :)

Dan ‘s not referencing you from what I can see. It’s cool. Let’s not kill the decent vibe we finally have goin round here.

Definitely not talking about you, mate.

I thought it was very clear that both kiwilad and I were talking about one person in particular that HAS been attacking people (mostly Axver) the last few days.

Interesting that you kept assuming I meant you even when you correctly worked through a logical position where it couldn’t be you - I have NO IDEA why you thought I meant you???

Not sure what you mean by “coming from you”....

Yeah dabiggest, I was praising you for your awesome cherry contribution to the forum.

Re the current Forum Fanny, not you! The anti-ax extremist is entertaining though, I quite enjoy him.

And ax is easy to hassle. Just read his tasteless, appaling objectively incorrect opinion on Disappearing Act - tasteless.

Definitely not talking about you, mate.

I thought it was very clear that both kiwilad and I were talking about one person in particular that HAS been attacking people (mostly Axver) the last few days.

Interesting that you kept assuming I meant you even when you correctly worked through a logical position where it couldn’t be you - I have NO IDEA why you thought I meant you???

Not sure what you mean by “coming from you”....
Sorry Dan, my bad!! :( I thought you were talking about me because kiwilad mentioned my name on his post you replied to. I over reacted. The coming from you part, I said that because I respect you very much and was upset that I thought you were talking about me. My bad, I am really sorry! I shouldn't be posting after a long hard day at work hahaha.

And look at the ratings I gave these songs.... Just FYI I would rate Fly a 20! I don't exactly BLINDLY love these songs! I like them intact I enjoy them. I never said they were the best thing since AB or JT or ever. Please don't tell me I blindly love new u2 music.

Man, chill.

Yeah, the production is a mystery to me. SOI was a very consistent album despite the amount of cooks. But this one so far I’m struggling to see how they’ll flow. Blackout and RefuJesus have that similar fuzz and grit to them, yet they completely lost the drums in Blackout. Then you go to TBT where the drums sound amazing, but the guitar is all over the place in the mixing.

I’m still holding on to hope that we’ll have a different album mix for TBT.

Yeah dabiggest, I was praising you for your awesome cherry contribution to the forum.

Re the current Forum Fanny, not you! The anti-ax extremist is entertaining though, I quite enjoy him.

And ax is easy to hassle. Just read his tasteless, appaling objectively incorrect opinion on Disappearing Act - tasteless.

Thanks Kiwilad and sorry for my little unwarranted outburt! A big misunderstanding on my part!

Sorry Dan, my bad!! :( I thought you were talking about me because kiwilad mentioned my name on his post you replied to. I over reacted. The coming from you part, I said that because I respect you very much and was upset that I thought you were talking about me. My bad, I am really sorry! I shouldn't be posting after a long hard day at work hahaha.

It’s all good - I read his post back and saw he did mention you - I was responding to his last paragraph. I certainly don’t think you ‘blindly’ follow u2 - if anything, I identify mostly with you opinions than just about anyone’s. I think you are very reasonable, and a model for people who do like this stuff to own it!

Back
Top Bottom